North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border

Question Anyone done Cerakote or Duracoat finishes

Want to send out my 1911 slide for Cerakote but local gunsmith does Duracoat, says he can make it just as tough as Cerakote, what do you think ?

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I have not done either BUT If i was gettting my slide done, I would send it here: http://www.kandkkustomz.com/thankyou.html
    Check it out. AND he is a board sponsor too. Worth a look for sure.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

The original oven-cure Cerakote is far superior to duracoat. Cerakote also makes an air-cure version that is easier to apply, but not nearly as durable as the oven-cure. If you want it to last, find someone who does Cerakote.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    Definitely cerakote. Duracoat will wear much faster.

5. Member
    Cerakote over dura......If he says he can make it as tough as. Cerakote, it's being applied too much & can inhibit operation. For that matter, not Cerakoting correctly can cause it as well. Duracoat can be made to "look" better.

Pokiepa.....That is Hydro-dip.....Not in same class, but can look kewl. Just not same protection, plus can bake off with a lot of use.

6. Member
    I did a Duracoat "Hello Kitty" gun for my daughter in pink. She has had it for a few years and there isn't a scratch on it. I haven't noticed any discoloration on the barrel from heat.
    Question everything!

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    I did a Duracoat "Hello Kitty" gun for my daughter in pink. She has had it for a few years and there isn't a scratch on it. I haven't noticed any discoloration on the barrel from heat.
    Did you actually DIY or have it done, gunsmith says he will bead blast it first to clean it and it will take 6 wks. (to be safe) to cure, that sound right?