Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Single axle trailer tires?

I know this has been beat to death but I did a search on trailer tires in this forum and it confused me more. I have a single axle ranger trailer(188vs) and the original 2006 tires on it. I'm starting to see the side walls cracking so I want to change them out before the tournament season starts. The tire is the Goodyear marathons ST 205x75x14. What tire should I get? Does tire discounter or any chain sell good trailer tires? Sorry to keep beating the horse but I would like your input. Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    How much does your rig weigh when you have it loaded for fishing? Everything depends on that.

There is an explanation for figuring out what you need and specs for many readily available 14" tires in This Post

Goodyear has just started making a 14" LR D tire in the US. It's called Endurance.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    1 vote for Goodyear Marathons.
    Nothing but good things to say about them here.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    1 vote for Goodyear Marathons.
    Nothing but good things to say about them here.
    Marathons are not a good choice for a single axle trailer with a glass boat. They are light duty tires that generally can't handle that kind of load.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Marathons are not a good choice for a single axle trailer with a glass boat. They are light duty tires that generally can't handle that kind of load.

5000 miles on our newest set of Marathons last season says other wise.
    It's about having the right size of tire for the weight.

Obviously he's running bigger tires then me, (165 Dominator) but there is no reason with the right size he should have a problem.

I'm a big fan of Carlisle tires. I am now on my second set. The first one lasted me six years without so much as a low tire. After doing similar research as the OP, I decided to go to a Load Range D tire, as much for the higher speed rating, 99mph compared to 65mph on the LRC tire. A LRD tire wasn't available locally at that time, so I choose replace the old ugly OEM wheels with new 15" aluminum wheels and Carlisle LRD tires. Very happy with the results. The wheels and tires look great...the 15" wheels/tires tow better...I can drive interstate speeds without concern.

BTW, can't say enough good for Discount Tire too.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    Marathons is what it came with from the factory (st205x75x14). They have been on there since 2006. I was going to buy more marathons but when I did a search on hear I got conflicting information. I have heard everything from they are a good tire to they are the most dangerous tire out there. Especially for a single axle trailer. I thought if ranger put them on 11 years ago they would be ok today?? I am totally confused.

8. Member
    I had the marathons on mine also, and I had two tires with belt separations in the past two years. I replaced them about two months ago with Carlisle radial trail hd's. I don't have too many miles or time on them, but I noticed a major improvement on ease of pulling and ride when I went to the Carlisles. Granted, the marathons were several years old, but still. I have a tandem axle trailer and the 65 psi rating I think helps a ton. If I had a single axle, a load range D would be even more important to me for peace of mind. I found them local for $74 apiece out the door. They are $68 I believe on tirebuyer.com with no tax and free shipping, but you'll have to pay for mounting and balancing. Just FYI. Good luck.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    5000 miles on our newest set of Marathons last season says other wise.
    It's about having the right size of tire for the weight.

Obviously he's running bigger tires then me, (165 Dominator) but there is no reason with the right size he should have a problem.
    They don't make the right size. That is the problem. Marathons are load range C in 14" and they are max rated at 1760lbs each. That gives you 3520lbs minus a 20% safety margin leaving you only 2816lbs maximum weight on your tires or just shy of 3100lbs total weight with 10% on the tongue. A 1500lb hull, 400lb outboard, 800lb trailer, 200lbs of batteries, TM, gear and other equipment puts you in that range.

No reason to even consider the Marathons on a single axle under a glass boat when the Endurance is available with more load capacity.

BTW, if you like your Marathons, don't Google the term "China Bombs". They don't have a good reputation since production moved to China from Canada.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    I thought if ranger put them on 11 years ago they would be ok today?? I am totally confused.
    The Marathons you can buy today aren't much like the ones from 11 years ago.
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jshelton2006 View Post
    I had the marathons on mine also, and I had two tires with belt separations in the past two years. I replaced them about two months ago with Carlisle radial trail hd's. I don't have too many miles or time on them, but I noticed a major improvement on ease of pulling and ride when I went to the Carlisles. Granted, the marathons were several years old, but still. I have a tandem axle trailer and the 65 psi rating I think helps a ton. If I had a single axle, a load range D would be even more important to me for peace of mind. I found them local for $74 apiece out the door. They are $68 I believe on tirebuyer.com with no tax and free shipping, but you'll have to pay for mounting and balancing. Just FYI. Good luck.
    Is the Carlisle radial trail HD'S load range D?

Some are...some aren't. This might help..... http://www.carlislebrandtires.com/ou...adial-trail-hd
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    I just got a set of the new US made Goodyear Endurance for my single axle 188 but have not mounted them yet. Mine came with 215/75r14 and that's what I bought.

14. Member
    I know this has been beat to death but I did a search on trailer tires in this forum and it confused me more. I have a single axle ranger trailer(188vs) and the original 2006 tires on it. I'm starting to see the side walls cracking so I want to change them out before the tournament season starts. The tire is the Goodyear marathons ST 205x75x14. What tire should I get? Does tire discounter or any chain sell good trailer tires? Sorry to keep beating the horse but I would like your input. Thanks
    I have had two different sets of Carliles blow on me with a little more than 3 years on them. They are made in China. The goodyear marathons are for now still made in China. I just ordered a set of Goodyear Endurance D rated tires for my Ranger. They are a new tire but are made in their Alabama plant. They are the only ST rated made in America tire. A Goodyear technical support rep told me that later on this year the Marathons are going to be made there as well. Im done with running Chinese made tires on my trailer. I would also consider putting LT tires on my trailer if they are American or japanese made. Tired of messing with the insurance company and or the tire manufacture getting reimbursed for new boat fenders. You are lucky you got your Marathons to last that long. But those you have could have been built here in the US.

15. Member
    They offer them in both C and D. Go with the D for sure.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jshelton2006 View Post
    They offer them in both C and D. Go with the D for sure.
    Think that's the route I'm going. Can't find them local so probably will have to get off the internet. Wish I could get local hate giving money not local. Will I need to upgrade the valve stems?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Not true on a 188 Ranger. Ranger boat company will not put a tire on a boat that can't handle the load rating. The tire rating information is on a information plate permanently fixed to the trailer. I have Z118 Ranger which is 188 replacement. The c rated tires that Ranger installs is rated more than adequate to handle the load. The problem with the ST tires in recent years is more about the poor Chinese construction. I have owned a single axel Ranger since 1989. I sold it in 2012. I ran US made Goodyear C rated Marathons on it from day one and only had one flat tire due to a nail in the sidewall. I have had 3 blowouts on C rated ST tires since 2012. Tires failures were from belt separation due to poor workmanship according to the manufacturer. They were Chinese made. If you run Chinese made tires Discount Tire told me not to keep them on for no more than 3 years max.

18. Member
    See what I mean. This is more confusing than it needs to be. I find it hard that ranger would put a load rated tire not sufficient enough to sustain the boat weight. I also understand why someone would upgrade to a higher rated tire if possible. The problem is finding good tires. I think if you can find a good rated c tire you will be ok. I looked at my trailer and it is a ST 215x75x14. Did not see the Carlisle in load D for that size.

19. Member
    As stated above. No more china bombs for me. $!200 in damage repair on two separate blowouts due to bad tire construction has me throwing in the towel. Watch how fast Ranger dumps them if the Goodyear endurance proves itself. Until Goodyear started back production in the US, the Chinese manufactured tire was pretty much the only ST tire game in town.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 03-07-2017 at 06:03 PM.

20. Banned
    The Goodyear Marathons circa. 2006 will not say "Made in China" on the sidewalls like the newer Marathons say. And they were a good tire in their day.

I think I'd go with the new Goodyear Endurance tires a try. Goodyear has recognized how problematic the Chinese Marathons have been because they've paid out a fortune to RV owners fixing the damage done by their failed tires to the underside of travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers. With a retail market for Special Trailer (ST) tires in the millions (per year) for boat trailers, RV's, stock and horse trailers, Goodyear's made a smart move building a ST tire in North America again.

And to those that have Chinese tires on their trailers (of all kinds,) get rid of them. I just hope the new Goodyear tire is up to the job. And I also hope they'll price them low enough to where trailer manufacturers will buy them. I know the Goodyear G614 16" tires used on heavy trailers is one of the best tires you've ever seen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast