Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Go look up Eastern Marine / Trailer Super store. They list a very large selection of tires and tire/rim combos. They list several brands along with each ones specs. Even if you go elsewhere that place is worth having in your favorites.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnkamp View Post
    Go look up Eastern Marine / Trailer Super store. They list a very large selection of tires and tire/rim combos. They list several brands along with each ones specs. Even if you go elsewhere that place is worth having in your favorites.
    They are a great business, but unfortunately they don’t sell a 14” tire suitable for a glass boat on a single axle trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Anything Goodyear is complete garbage. Auto and trailer tires. They are the absolute worst for tread separation and not road forcing in spec more than any other brand I have seen. Have run carlisle's on my trailer without any issues as well as put them on a few others and never had a issue. All replaced because of blowing marathons that tear off a fender.

4. Member
    I have blown out 3 marathons in less than two years. Had to replace the fenders each time with the blowout. I have a Triton on a single axle trailer. I have the same size tires as the OP. Just today I bought the Endurance tires with D rating. I changed out both tires and my spare. I’ve heard good things about the Endurance tires from several others so I will see how they do.

5. Member
    Endurance,less bounce track great,more plies,65psi. One year on them all good. American made. 8000 average miles per year change after 3 years. Works on my rig.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Anything Goodyear is complete garbage. Auto and trailer tires. They are the absolute worst for tread separation and not road forcing in spec more than any other brand I have seen. Have run carlisle's on my trailer without any issues as well as put them on a few others and never had a issue. All replaced because of blowing marathons that tear off a fender.
    Calilses have claimed two of my boat fenders on my Ranger. Ranger also quit running the Marathons because Goodyear moved their production to China and they had to many blowouts from poor quality of construction. Only US made trailer tire today is the Goodyear Endurance. Made in Gadsden Alabama. Stick with the Carliles its definitely anyones choice. But for me Im for buying something that is made in America when I have a choice. No more China bombs for me.

7. Member
    Since 06 I have had Carilses,Marathon,and Goodyear Endurance. All will fail at some point. I chose Endurance this time for a couple of reasons. They get good reviews, heavier load rating and made in the USA. I would still replace after three seasons if you travel a bunch.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Since 06 I have had Carilses,Marathon,and Goodyear Endurance. All will fail at some point. I chose Endurance this time for a couple of reasons. They get good reviews, heavier load rating and made in the USA. I would still replace after three seasons if you travel a bunch.
    I too have changed to the Endurance and will replace them 3 yrs after purchase. That will also include the spare.

9. Member
    Good call !

10. Member
    Besides the few that already commented, anyone else running Maxxis tires? Been searching for the best tires to buy. I'm limited (st175/80d13) on options.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy2268 View Post
    Besides the few that already commented, anyone else running Maxxis tires? Been searching for the best tires to buy. I'm limited (st175/80d13) on options.
    The only way to know what you need is to know the actual weight of your rig when loaded for fishing and hooked to your truck.

If you are set on bias ply tires, the Kenda Loadstar is probably a good choice if it will handle the weight of your rig. Be sure to get load range D, as these are also available in LR C. The 175/80D13 handles 1610 lbs each or 3220 lbs for a pair. Unless you are really tight for space, you can step up to the 185 and get 1710lbs per tire or 3420 for a pair. They will raise your trailer 0.2 inches and reduce fender clearance by 0.2 inches which is rarely going to be an issue.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Had Marathons... belts broke in both within a few days of each other. Bought Carlisles last year and they now have a flat place from sitting in garage this winter. Vibrate like crazy. Going to try the endurance tires next I guess.

13. Member
    Just put the Endurance on my set up after blowing a tire and ripping the fender off on the way to the tire store! I can definitely tell the difference between 50 psi tires and the 65 psi tires when going over rough roads. If the last three years I will be happy.

14. Member
    My endurance tires just came in at the shop so I will be putting them on this week. Going on a single axle trailer with a stratus 201 pro elite.

15. Banned
    Don't know about the new Goodyears. If tires are from China, avoid them. That means Marathons and Carlisles.

Maxxis is the one to purchase.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Don't know about the new Goodyears. If tires are from China, avoid them. That means Marathons and Carlisles.

Where are Maxxis manufactured? I do not know they are made in the US. I think there are only distribution and a research center in the US. Anyway Goodyear claims to make the only ST rated tire in the US.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 03-08-2018 at 01:31 PM.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Why would you buy tires that aren't heavy enough for a single axle trailer? Maxxis 8008 is one to steer clear of. You want a load range D tire on a single axle trailer.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They are a great business, but unfortunately they don’t sell a 14” tire suitable for a glass boat on a single axle trailer.
    That blanket statement is not true. I am pretty sure my Allison sitting on its aluminum trailer will do just fine on those tires.

Just keep with the “get it weighed is the only way to know for sure”

Edit. Make sure that your wheels are suitable for 65psi before you go to load range D. Do not forget that the valve stems also should be upgraded as well
    currently boatless

Just got 3 Goodyear Endurance tires for my single axle Skeeter. Went ahead and did the spare also. It was original to the trailer(o6).

They look good, and you can tell they are a much heavier duty tire than the Marathons were. Hope they last as good as the Marathons did. They had 5 years on them.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They don't make the right size. That is the problem. Marathons are load range C in 14" and they are max rated at 1760lbs each. That gives you 3520lbs minus a 20% safety margin leaving you only 2816lbs maximum weight on your tires or just shy of 3100lbs total weight with 10% on the tongue. A 1500lb hull, 400lb outboard, 800lb trailer, 200lbs of batteries, TM, gear and other equipment puts you in that range.

No reason to even consider the Marathons on a single axle under a glass boat when the Endurance is available with more load capacity.

BTW, if you like your Marathons, don't Google the term "China Bombs". They don't have a good reputation since production moved to China from Canada.
    I would take CatFans advice! The guy knows his stuff!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast