18 or 19 TRX Triton info

I would like me some opinions on this model boat. I really don't want to spend 55 or 60 thousand on a 20' or 21' boat. Really think the 18 or 19 TRX with a 200 or 225 hp outboard is a good size. A couple dealers I talked to have tried to steer me away from that model into a larger boat. They say it's not a popular model and most looking at these models just go with the 20 Trx. For me an 18'8" or 19'8" boat seems like the right size. Am I missing something or are these good models? I know it's personal preference but I'm confused as to why they try to talk me out of them.
    Thanks

2. Member
    never let a dealer steer you anywhere, get what YOU want. that said I went from the 18 to the 20x but that was 12 years and a few thousand ago.
    Whitney

3. Member
    I have a '14 Triton 18XS and love it. It fishes large. I believe it is a great value. Sure the larger boats and higher HP engines are nice to have. But you really pay for that extra foot or 2 of boat with the purchase price and ongoing higher towing and operating costs.

I fish windswept Chautauqua Lake 40 days a year plus a few days on Lake Erie. So that hull can handle big water.

Try to find a TRX189 so you can sit in it and gain confidence in its layout. For me the extra $ in moving up a foot was not worth it.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Member
    I think the 18 trx is a very good 18' class boat, compares well to any brand. The 19trx is a fine boat as well, but has a problem. It's too close in size and price to the 20 trx. The 20 usually wins out at the price point it is near. I agree that the 19' class is about the perfect size for alot of fisherman, but think triton would do better to develop a new 19' to 19' 6" that runs strong with a 200 hp. Nitro hit the nail on the head with the z19. Hopefully Triton will look into the 19 footer a bit closer, because I've owned 2 and they really make a quality boat.

Good advice to not let the dealer steer you in any direction. But, compare final prices before making a decision. Once you get a 19 with a 225 optioned out you might find it is close in price to a similar 20. Consider how you fish. If you are mostly fishing solo the 18Trx might be perfect but you may appreciate a longer boat if you usually have a partner.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Thanks,
    I guess I need to find an 18 TRX or 19 TRX I can ride in to see if it fits my needs. I just know that if I buy a new boat it won't be another 20 footer w/250. I'm retired and pick and choose which days I'm fishing. If wind is gonna blow too hard, I'll just stay home. Big 20' boats are very nice (I've had 3 or 4) I am just ready to downsize. I'm sure it'll be my last boat.

7. @delta_fisher
    I have a 99 TR18 and absolutely love it. It feels just the right size.

Everyone has their wants and needs in a boat. Choose what's right for you!
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

8. Member
    Running 189trx with 150 ProXs does great for me. I questioned a bigger 20ft myself but for the money I saved and I can still fish same water just cant get there as fast. Your welcome to come to West Tn and take a test run and even know of a local dealer that has one in stock......

9. Member
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate the offers.

Get a price on the 19 and then call Kevin at Duckett Marine and get a price on a 20
    that aughta clear things up
    2015 Legend V20

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aquacop View Post
    Get a price on the 19 and then call Kevin at Duckett Marine and get a price on a 20
    that aughta clear things up
    Appreciate that but I don't want to drive to Alabama to buy a boat.
    Thanks

Iv had the 189 TRX and now a 19. They are night and day from one another as far as ride and speed goes.

The 189 rode good but the 19 rides great. I can not get a boat bigger than a 19 due to my garage size. If you have any questions let me know.
    Last edited by Tim W; 03-07-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

13. Member
    Also went from a 186 to a 19xs , night and day difference , but both great boats

14. Member
    What did you decide? I have a 2016 18 TRX and really like it overall. My 2nd bass boat am really liking this boats rough water handling. Still figuring out my motor height and wot handling.