Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 Middle seat removed. Need step filler options.

We removed the middle seat on our RT188. Would like to find something to put there that is only like 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick. There must be something we can put there to step on that is not 4 to 6 inches thick. We are wanting it thin so the person in the back can get up and down easier.

Not a fan of the empty spot left with the seat removed.

The coin boxes look too big/thick.

Any suggestions? Anyone have something installed? Pictures would help a lot.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

2. Member
    Bass pro carry a several inch thick "step" that is nonskid and has cup holders built in.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=417117
    Check post number 60 in the above link. Sounds like what you are looking for.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

A piece of Starboard (high density polyethylene) cut to size like in the picture Bill Reynolds references would work well. Use proper length coarse thread sheet metal screws up thru the seat mounting holes to secure it. It has the stiffness to handle the weight of stepping on it. Then put a sheet of adhesive backed no skid rubber on top of it. You can usually buy scrap pieces on eBay and can be found in black and gray.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 03-06-2017 at 10:26 PM.

5. Member
    I just ordered a 12"x12" piece of black sea board (hdpe) from Amazon for this very purpose. $20. I found the stick on rubber treads, like Bill Reynolds, at Walmart in the towing section.
    Last edited by Pagregss; 03-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Some great ideas. Thanks for the thread link to the post #60. I like that only would want it in black.

So the adhesive backing will stick to the hdpe? I was worried it would have an oily surface and nothing would stay stuck to it.

Also the one Transom mentioned, a Wise center step, can be found on iBoats.com for about $43 compared to $70 at BP. Just googled it and found it cheaper. Don't like the fact that it looks like it will hold water in the cup holders, other than that it looks great.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

7. Member
    Just leave it empty. Makes for an easy step thru area.

I found this in the Triton forum. Not what you are looking for but interesting
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=93172

I would not leave it just carpet. I removed my seat with that idea and the metal alone flexed too much under my weight. I think it would create a bowl over time. It needs a stiff surface mounted over it to spread the weight out. Ultimately I decided I wanted the seat back and reattached it.

10. Member
    So, I was way wrong ordering a 12x12 piece of hdpe. Once I set it in place, it was laughable how tiny it looked in the space. So, I ordered a 24x24 piece from amazon for $35.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    So, I was way wrong ordering a 12x12 piece of hdpe. Once I set it in place, it was laughable how tiny it looked in the space. So, I ordered a 24x24 piece from amazon for $35.
    Thanks for update. This is what I am thinking and adding the non slip rubber on top for now.

Has anyone tried sticking the tread steps or something to the HDPE? Will it stay attached? Need special glue or cleaner?

Bill, I really like the box idea for storage but the step would be too high unless can find or build something shorter. Will probably build a box just 2 or 3 inches overall depth. The 'step' with the seat removed is the same height as the step to the front deck, so don't want to add much more to it really.

I don't know the difference in the HDPE and this material, but I bought a 1/2 thick 15X20 plastic cutting board at Sam's for $9.00 It only comes in white and may not be the material you want but just thought I would mention it.
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers...lp:product:1:1

13. Member
    Check the how to and mod page .about half way down the page you can see a picture of what I did . It's been 2 seasons and no problems with it .

14. Member
    The pic that Bill referenced is my boat. I ordered it online from a marine supply house down in Florida. it was 3/4" Starboard cut 15"x18" with a 1/4" bevel on the top side. The tread strips were from Harbor Freight. I installed it with 3/4" #12 stainless screws. If I was doing it over again, I'd have gone with the black Starboard instead of the dolphin grey. So far it's been awesome. Cost was $64.59 to my door.

Here's where I got the Starboard:

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/king-s...FVEbgQodpYEIsg
    Last edited by bassfly; 03-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.

15. Member

16. Member
    Just an update, I got my step in. I used 1/2" thick black hdpe cut to 18" square. I used JB Weld plastic bond to affix 4 of the rubber treads. Then, used 14x3/4" stainless screws to attach it. Much sturdier and slip resistant.

Just a tip: drill pilot holes in the hdpe. Otherwise the screws don't go in or chew up the board attempting to go in.

17. Member
    i put the basscat step box in place of mine this past weekend. It is no taller than seat was, when the back is flipped up. Very sturdy, adds 2 cup holders, and a small storage area.

18. Member
    Have you seen the middle seat step on the RT 198. I have no idea if it would fit but might give you some ideas. I saw one a the dealer today and I thought the step looked nice but maybe a little wide not sure.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Have you seen the middle seat step on the RT 198. I have no idea if it would fit but might give you some ideas. I saw one a the dealer today and I thought the step looked nice but maybe a little wide not sure.
    I don't believe the coin box from the 198 will fit.

20. Member
    I think your right I noticed the seats were up against the side of the boat on the 198 making the middle wider. The 178 and 188 seats have a 4 or 5 inch gap on the sides which I like for rods to slide in there. The coin box is nice and you would think they would make some for other models one of these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast