Thread: FX vs ZX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FX vs ZX

I'm on a major search for a Skeeter as you can see from my previous post re: i class. The i class was not in good condition so now I'm looking at a 2012 FX20 with a 250 SHO. Can anyone tell me the basic difference between a FX and ZX? Obviously the FX's are pricier, but what makes them more expensive? Thanks.

2. Member
    FX has the fancy features the the I class has. It does not have the same hull as either the ZX or I Class. The FX is also a newer boat. The I series from 2010-2015 compare in price. The FX is the flagship while the Zx is more budget friendly.

3. Member
    Ok, that makes sense and along the lines of what I thought but wasn't sure. Everyone says the i class is the best ride, but how does the FX20 compare? I've heard people say that the ZX is a good ride too. I'm most concerned with Kentucky Lake waves and rough ride. Thanks!

4. Member
    The I class boats still ran dual tanks and had the tanks in the rear of the boat. It's my understanding that on the FX boats they always had a single tank under the seat. The new zx boats run this same setup now. I've heard it's to allow for rigging for powerpole and to offset the weight of them.

Fx boats have the electronic dashes and zx boats have individual switches. The I class boats and older ZX's Sometimes had dash problems and you had to swap out the entire dash if one switch went bad. Some guys like the simplicity the single switches offer.

when the I class boat came out it was heavier and had a 3 degree sharper v than the ZX boats. It was a great rough water boat. I'm not sure how the fx hull compares to the I class.

5. Member
    Thanks a lot for that info. I'll be honest, I'm all over the place on which boat to really lock onto. Part of me wants to stay less expensive and in the 2005 range, then part of me wants the newer SHO model motor and newer boat. A trusted mechanic, boat dealer, and friend said to stay 2005 and above and either Skeeter or Ranger.

I was set for 2005-2008, but then saw what some people consider an 8 out of 10 for condition and was very turned off. So my wife tells me to up the budget and has even said to get a new one. But that's scary and seems like a waste of $. I'm freaking out over spending 40k on a 12 FX that appears meticulous and has all the bells and whistles minus brand new electronics.

I dont want want to purchase someone else's problems and I want a clean well taken care of boat, but I'm weary of spending my family's money on these pricier ones that it seems I need to look at to get the condition I'd be happy with.

For now, I may look at a 2005 ZX 225 and see how that looks. Supposed to look at the 12 FX20 this weekend. I want a good boat for rough water that fishes well and will be good for the family to hang out on during the summer... tall order!

Thanks again for for everyone's input. I'm all over the place, I know!

The 2012 FX has duel tanks in the rear. They didn't move them behind the seats until 2017. Also the 2012 SHOs still had issues. IMHO if I had 40K to work with I would look for a 2015 ZX250. I was in this same dilemma last year. Sold my 2001 Ranger 518 and got a 2010 FX21. I then traded it for a 2016 ZX225 and couldn't be happier with my decision. Three boats in 7 months. My wife also said up the budget and get what you want. Buy newer if you can. 2005 is probably nice but in 3 years it will be 15 years old. 2015 ZX250 is where you need to look. It will also be good for KY Lake.

7. Member
    I just bought the 2017 ZX 225 back in December, you won't be disappointed if you go that way, boat rides well. I was on KY lake a couple weeks ago, it did a great job handling the big water.

8. Member
    I know all the new models run around 70 and above, but what about the older ones? I just don't know if I can justify spending 40k on a boat when it's a hobby. But I may convince myself, not sure yet.

9. Member
    I had an 05 ZX250 with 250 HPDI. I then had an 08 20i with 250 Series 2. Both boats ran 72 -74 depending on load and air temps. You're going to run 70 plus with a 225 or better and right under 70 with a 200. My new 2017 Zx200 runs just under 70 and I'm talking 69.7 on gps.

10. Member
    you should be able to find an I class boat w/ low hours for way less than $40k
    I have never ridden in an FX but MANY, including the guy who bought my boat when it was brand new and then bought a new FX, say that the I class is STILL in a class by itself.
    pun intended

11. Member
    Can't speak for the fx but I just sold my 20i and bought a new zx250 and in my opinion, the zx250 is a way better rig. The ride is incredible, the handling is better, and just performs better all around. I wouldn't even consider anything else and for the price, I don't think you can beat the zx package Skeeter is putting together.

Love my Zx250 but that new FX is sweet as well. Performance wise they will be similar. Bells and whistles $$$.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

13. Member
    Just get the ZX250 and spend a little money on dual power poles, dual graps at the console and still have a lot of money left over compared to the FX!

14. Member
    If you want an i-class just look for a 2015 or 2016 FX-i. It is the same boat as the i-class of old.
    I looked at 3 about 2 months ago. They are in the 50-60k asking range though.
    X

15. Member
    Not sure if it matters to you, but it did to me, and that is colors. The FX you can pick out your own colors and make it unique. The ZX series you have a set choice of 8 color schemes and there are about 3 of them that seem to be pretty popular in my area.

When I was in the market and looking, I came back to the boat ramp one evening and there were 4 lime green FX's either loading or in the parking lot. None of them knew each other. That day I decided I couldnt go with the same boat as everyone else. It was real bad at the Skeeter owners tournament. So many boats that look exactly the same. I'd probably jump in the wrong one.

16. Member
    Check online every single day to find deals. My 2002 zx200 burnt up in a fire in December, between then and now I found 3 steals on boats, an 07 zx225 with a sho for 28, a 2012 zx20 for 30, and what I bought 3 weeks ago, a 2010 fx20 with 2nd gen powerhead for 31. I am in love with this new rig on Kentucky. You just have to find the deals the day they go online because they sell fast
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

17. Member
    Escalade vs Suburban

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Escalade vs Suburban
    Not quite

19. Member
    I've decided to go with an 05 ZX225. It's in immaculate condition. While the newer ones are really nice, I just couldn't justify it at this point. Maybe in a few years. Or longer! Thanks everyone for their help.

20. Member
    Actually yes in my opinion. Basically the same vehicle with more bells and whistles bigger engine nicer features but still the same frame and body

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast