Praying Please help! Bow trim switch not working

I got on the lake Sunday and went to hit my trim switch on the soft touch keypad at the bow and I've got nothing. Here's where it's weird, the navigation light flashes (the little red light to indicate that switch is on) whenever you push any switch up there. All other switches at console along with my tilt at console and motor, works fine. I haven't opened it up to test it with a meter yet, but was hoping someone has ran into this before with this style of switch pads. The only thing I changed was I added a 4th battery just for all accessories and put the motor on a battery by itself. I can't find any info on the wiring schematic of this type switch panel, but I would assume if a fuse blew to that panel it wouldn't even flash the red light. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas as to what I should check!
    Last edited by newlookhomes1; 03-07-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

2. Member
    Surely someone has encountered this issue. Please any info is helpful to point me in the right direction! Bump TTT
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You may have to explain things to me since I'm not a Champ guy, but why would you have trim tabs on a bass boat and why would you ever need to adjust them at the bow?

Now onto the electrical issues. Sometimes you run into problems when you move accessories off the cranking battery on keypad type rigs unless you run a wire between the negative terminals of the accessory and cranking batteries. You need the engine and accessories to have the same voltage reference. Try connecting the negatives with a jumper cable and see if things work. Seems like there would be more problems than just a single item though.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    not sure if I understand exactly what happened here, but my tilt/trim buttons by the TM are powered by the master on/off switch at the console while the ones at the steering wheel are direct from battery.. maybe when you added the 4th battery there is a terminal somewhere that didn't get swapped correctly??

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You may have to explain things to me since I'm not a Champ guy, but why would you have trim tabs on a bass boat and why would you ever need to adjust them at the bow?

Now onto the electrical issues. Sometimes you run into problems when you move accessories off the cranking battery on keypad type rigs unless you run a wire between the negative terminals of the accessory and cranking batteries. You need the engine and accessories to have the same voltage reference. Try connecting the negatives with a jumper cable and see if things work. Seems like there would be more problems than just a single item though.
    Thanks for the info! I said trim tab meaning the trim buttons up at the bow. And that makes perfect sense running the jumper at the negative posts to acquire the same voltage! Thank u, I'll try that.
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    not sure if I understand exactly what happened here, but my tilt/trim buttons by the TM are powered by the master on/off switch at the console while the ones at the steering wheel are direct from battery.. maybe when you added the 4th battery there is a terminal somewhere that didn't get swapped correctly??
    Thanks! I'll check that as well!
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Sometimes you run into problems when you move accessories off the cranking battery on keypad type rigs unless you run a wire between the negative terminals of the accessory and cranking batteries. You need the engine and accessories to have the same voltage reference. Try connecting the negatives with a jumper cable and see if things work.
    Thanks CATFAN!!! By connecting the negatives with a jumper, all problems are fixed and everything is back to working properly! Can you tell me if there will be any amperage flowing thru this jumper or is it simply bringing the voltages up to match each other?
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS