Touchpad on 05 ZX225

A couple of the livewell buttons on my boat keep sticking after I turn them on, I cannot get them to turn back off. I have to reset the power under the dash and then it works fine again and might not do it the rest of the day. Am I going to have to replace the whole touchpad? Thanks

Nathan

2. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (Bnathanb1982)

Nathan
    I hope you do not have to go through what I just did. I shorted out the terminal strip board that feeds the touch pad on my '03. This particular set-up Skeeter no-longer supports. They gave me a whole new retro-fit kit with parts from and '06 set-up. It required remounting a new touch pad.

You might want to Skeeter in Kilgore a call and talk to Darby.

Good luck

Baldone

3. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (Baldone)

Nathan. try holding the sticking buttons in until they click. I'm not sure about your 03, but my 06's switches had individual resets built in.
    Haulin' Bass Guide Service LLC
    guided bass fishing on NC's best lakes
    http://www.haulinbass.com

4. Member

My power light came on and went right off, have to replace my dash also.
    Did you do it yourself? If so, did the kit come with instructions--the local dealer said his did not have instructions and he has an attitude about doing the job for me. You would think as tough as times are for business, he would welcome the work.

Sandy

5. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (SandySliderGirl)

Sandy

Yes, there is a kit that consists of 4 parts. No, there are no instructions or schematics. One of the parts is a wiring warness that is pretty intimidating until you figure out what is what. It requires a new fuse box. The fuse box does not have sufficient slots for all the circuits so Skeeter included 5 or 6 fuses in the wiring harness. I don't care for that at all. The ideal way is to make a face plate for the new push button that will go over the existing recessed pushbutton area. No, the face plate is not one of the parts from Skeeter. The biggest problem I had was the vinyl covered face plate that holds all the gauges and pushbutton panel was broke in three places when I took the old pushbutton panel out. I made the decision to fix it versus replace. A little fiberglass and new vinyl took care or that.

All together I'll have about 20 hours of labor, $500 in a kit and $60 in fibergalss and vinyl when I'm finished.

It's understandable why your local guy is not too enthusiastic about the job. It will be hard for him to make any money, especially if he finds a broken instrument panel. I won't be surprised if doesn't give you an estimate of $1000.

I'll post pics once I complete the job.

Good luck

Baldone

6. Member

Thanks for the info.
    I decided it was more than I could handle so I decided to take it to the shop and hope for the best.
    Even though the mechanic wasn't happy, he agreed to do the work.
    Suppose to pick it up Tuesday 03/03.
    Keep you posted.
    Thanks again for the info.

Sandy

7. Member

I have an 04 225 and had the same problem last year. I called skeeter and they sent there newer dash panel along with the newer fuse panel to a skeeter dealer near where I live for free. I picked it up and did the installation myself. It wasn't two bad, you do have to enlarge the cut out in your dash, but other than that it plugs right in like the old one and then you just mount the new fuse panel where the old one was which is under the console and that is it. Everything that they sent basically plugged into my existing connectors and it works great!

This was a common problem with the Membrane type dash panels and has been discussed on here a lot, you should try and get a hold of Darcy at Skeeter and see if can help you out.

8. Member

Baldone,

Did you get the replacement Bezel? Mine came with a bezel that the new faceplate fits into. Like on the 05 and 06 ZX's.

9. 04 ZX225

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (JL)

Hmmm, Skeeter replaced mine last year at no cost to me. Dealing with Skeeter is "like a box of chocolates". You never know what you will get as far as service. The pads originally shipped did not deal with moisture/humidity very well hence the reason for retrofit. From talking with the local dealer here, the main problem was the breakers used and not the touch pad itself, although the touch pad could have issues as well. Skeeter was originally only replacing the touch pad, but found that did not fix the problem and a few years back they starting to replace the pad and breakers with fuses.

Since having mine replaced by the dealer, I have not had any issues at all with the pad. It is also easier to see the lights on the new pad so I am quite happy with the change.

10. Real Deal Tungsten

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (frogbite)

have had mine replaced also. It's a known problem at Skeeter. The person above that said they had to pay is the only occurence I know of someone paying. They replaced my original with original parts, and later replaced with the newer kit after it was put on market. If your dealer acts like they don't know whats going on, just call Skeeter directly.

11. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (Skeeterman1)

Does anyone have any pictures to be able to identify the new / old panel? I have an 05 ZX225 and i've no idea which panel i have.

Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

12. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (frogbite)

The more I read about this issue the more aggrevated I get. Seems like this is a function of quality of dealer and warranty from Skeeter. Yes, Skeeter sent me some conjoured up piece of plastic that was to serve as a mount for the new pushbutton and as a cover for the old recess. It was a POS. The new push button did not fit and the cutout wasn't large enough.

Living in McKinney I have to deal with Plano Marine. Those parts guys are a real box of chocalates. They are the smartest guys in the world just ask them - NOT. The worse thing is to need help and to have some dude tell "sorry we've only had that problem once or twice" - BS. To make matters worse they made it clear the job was a bear and wasn't sure they wanted to do another - WTH! I got absolutely no help with the cost of the parts from Plano even after me asking them to call Skeeter.

My solution was to call Kilgore myself. I didn't talk to Darby but to a Tim __. I understand he has now left Skeeter??? Tim had me cancel the order with Plano and reorder with Dawson Marine in Jasper. The price went from $500 via Plano to $280 from Dawson. This is a far shot from being free!!!

Once I made the decison not to use the POS face plate I decided to fill the that reccessed area and flush mount the new pushbutton. When I pulled the old vinyl back I discovered the black plastic instrument panel was broke in at least 4 places - WTH! I called Skeeter and got no help at all. I tried talking to Darby with no call back. By now I'm totally fit to be tied. To repair the instrument panel I needed to remove it from the dash. This wasn't a problem except for the power steering assembly. The one outstanding question is how did the instrument panel break. Talking to Dawson Jasper they claim they have never seen one broke. My rational is that they they never stripped the vinyl back far enough to actually see the panel. The vinyl actually reinforces the panel. My conclusion is break was due to the flexing of the console. The breaks occured at the two place where the panel screws direct to the dash above the ignition switch. This should absolutely never - never - never happen if the stresses in the cap were not so concentrated in the dash area. Yes, I'm an engineer.........

Too much emotion! Sorry folks.

The bug was finished last night. All I have left is some cleanup so I can put her in the water on Thursday to test her out before Saturday T at Cedar Creek.

Baldone

13. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (SkeeterJohn)

When mine is done I will post a pic of the new panel.
    Sandy

14. Member

Sounds like you need a cold one after that!!
    Sandy

15. Member

So skeeter replaced these touchpads for free out of warranty or in warranty? I called Skeeter the other day and all the lady would tell me what to talk to my dealer! But I might try back and see if I can talk to one of the guys yall mentioned above.

16. Member

Re: Touchpad on 05 ZX225 (Bnathanb1982)

Skeeter dealer went belly up here, and a phone call to Skeeter, did not get mine for free.
    Mine is 3 months out of warranty and it cost me $1000. parts and labor.
    Good luck with yours.

Sandy

17. Member
    can you post a picture of the retro fit??

18. Member
    Hello, I'm trying to install the update for the panel rocker switches in 02 225zx I'm confused about the wiring harness I've got 2 eyelet wires red/black I'm not seeing where they connect? Any ideas?

19. Member

Repairing bad unit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete gavis View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to install the update for the panel rocker switches in 02 225zx I'm confused about the wiring harness I've got 2 eyelet wires red/black I'm not seeing where they connect? Any ideas?
    Has anyone tried trouble shooting the bad unit to see why it fails?

jim Cav