How to make sudden stops?

Hi All,

Just bought a new to me bass boat a couple weeks ago and have taken it out every weekend since the purchase. Now, this is my first ever boat and have my father in law teaching me the ropes on boat operation since he's owned a bass boat before and also a center console. Since I am new to this I would like to know what is the proper procedures to slow the boat down while on plane (for safety or approaching a fishing spot)? I don't know if every boat does this but every time we come off plane the boat starts to porpoise until it comes to a hault. Is this normal for all bass boats or is this driver error? Just does't seem right and I cant remember being on the water and seeing a boat come off plane and porpoising either. Any knowledge would be appreciated!

P.s. - I don't know if it helps but the boat has a hydraulic jack plate as well

TIA

trim full down, then ease throttle down, don't stop fast, unless want your wake coming over the stern . Have Fun!

3. Member
    So while on plane, trim down, the bow will probably rise and then let off the throttle? This should prevent the porpoising or is it inevitable?

4. Member
    Hit the brakes Trim down all the way and back off throttle. If your not trimming down full first, that's likely the reason your porpoising.

5. Member
    It's all in the trim. When it starts to porpoise it's because your trim is set to high for the slower speed. Not sure how many people do it but when I need to sit down in shallow water I'll just drop off plane and give a little bit of throttle to keep from getting backwash.

Stop driving it like a car and start driving it like a boat. Driving all about trim and throttle control. Get more seat time and you'll get the hang of it. Listen to what your butt tells you, you'll get a feel for it.

As you start to slow, you must also start trimming the motor down to avoid the porpoising. The other option is just to chop the throttle and let it sit down. If you choose that method, you WILL get backwash over the transom from the following wave. The way to avoid that is to goose the throttle a bit to stay in front of the following wave as SOON as the boat sits down. Some boats are worse than others about the backwash, but I've not been in one that didn't do it to some extent...some to the point that if the driver doesn't goose the throttle, you're going to have a wet back/butt.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

8. Member
    Slow down as your trimming down. Don't need to trim fully down (you'll feel the front plowing if down too far) The porpoise is the boat falling off the pad, then trying to get back up on it. There is a point where once your speed is reduced this will not happen no matter where your trim is at. Like others mentioned you'll want the trim down so you don't get a backwash up over the rear deck. But keep in mind your motor may be too deep for a shallow water stop and you can hit bottom in 4' of water if trimmed all the way down.. Practice in open deep water and find that sweet spot between speed and trim level where you can let completely off the throttle and get no or minimal backwash.

9. Member
    You mention a hydraulic jackplate. You really don't want to monkey with that too much just yet. Here's the quick initial setup, start with it set where you know the boat will get up on plane, now while running get the boat up to speed and start clicking the plate up while keeping an eye on your water pressure and speed (give it a few seconds for the boat to respond to each click of the plate). As soon as you see either one drop even slightly tap it down a 1/4" - 1/2". Now come off plane, stop the boat and try to get going again without touching the jack plate. If it comes up on plane good, you really don't need to adjust it again unless in very shallow water or when you have enough seat time and are familiar enough with driving your boat that you could fine tune it while running. If it struggles to come up on plane drop it down 1/4" try it, no good, stop, drop 1/4" and try again until you find where it needs to be(remember where the trim gauge is at) Seat time is your friend

10. Member
    Side note.... EVERY ON THE BOAT MUST WEAR THE LIFE JACKETS AT ALL TIMES WHEN THE BIG MOTOR IS RUNNING

Quote Originally Posted by chubbychaser10 View Post
    So while on plane, trim down, the bow will probably rise and then let off the throttle? This should prevent the porpoising or is it inevitable?
    The bow will come down if you trim down.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115