If you have a PS-30, should you pair it with a PS-21 or PS-31?

Am adding Garmin/Panoptix this year and will have PS-30 on the transom. Am wondering which transducer I should run off the trolling motor in the bow: PS-21 or PS-31? Not a big difference in price - more concerned about optimal set up but maybe don't have to spend the additional on the PS-31 either? Anyone chime in? Thx

2. Member
    Tough question. I should know but I'm reluctant to say too much. I haven't tried to operate both at the same time because I'm certain there would be interference issues. Here is my subjective opinion. It depends on how deep the water is. I think I get better results with the 31 in deep water. (>70 ft). For example, today I accidentally ran across some walleye where I didn't think they ought to be. 90 ft deep in 100 FOW. I could see them on the PS31. Not the red center doughnuts you get from shallower and closer fish, but see them just the same off bottom. I would see them 50-70 feet away, hit the trolling motor, go get over them and then see them on 2d. Didn't catch a lot but caught some just the same. I had it set to 10 degrees. Now you might see them on the 21 but with the 45 degree cone, precisely locating them would be more difficult. In shallower water the 21 does just fine. You can get a good fix by looking at the strength of the return. Wish I could offer more but don't want to get too far out on a limb.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Thank you ... 80% of the time I'm in 15 fow or less, 20% of the time I'm in 15-30 fow. Have fished deeper than that only maybe once in 15 years.

4. Member

PS 31 and 21

Wish I could comment to the PS-21, don't have one. Can attest to no interference and with the 1040 I split the screen and have the live vu down and live vu forward at the same time no interfernce. Actually have the PS-30 and the PS-31 side by side on the transom on one of my boats no problems.

The 31 is mounted to the bottom of my motor housing of the terrova works very well that way