Thread: Water Pressure?

Banned

Water Pressure?

of my 2013 Pro XS 175 Mercury Serial#2B018990 Model#1175P73EY on my 18' Stratos 283.I found that if I was able to seal off the upper 2 holes of the water intake of the motor would keep me from loosing water pressure at higher speeds. I have not done this and am researching this possibility to improve performance. Also is it advantages to add water intake scoops on the water intakes of the Mercury? Thanks!

I have the top 4 plug good water pressure all speeds in turns
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Banned

Water pressure

Quote Originally Posted by terry5357 View Post
    I have the top 4 plug good water pressure all speeds in turns
    How and what procedure did you use to install the plugs to the water intake ports of a your outboard?

4. Member
    scoops do not like vegatation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    Thanks Joe but not thinking about scoops until a last resort. Right know considering just plugging the upper 2 holes of the water inlet to the water pump. In plugging the upper 2 holes would keep air from entering water pump at higher speeds thus I figure would keep water pressure stable at those speeds instead of fluctuating.

6. Member
    You can only plug the top holes IF your lower unit has the 4 Low Water Pick-up Holes in the lower unit.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And then... only approved for the Gen-1 Torquemaster (3 Liter) Gearcase.

Your engine is a 2.5L... so you don't want to be restricting the water supply. High-Speed scoop kit is your best option.

Moving this thread over to the correct forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I personally don't like the scoops, number of reasons

they will plug up with trash pretty easily and don't give any benifit over plugging a couple of the top holes in my experience.

I like to use Allen headed pipe plugs, can get them at autozone, lowes etc etc

i can't remember the exact size I've used in the past think it was 1/4" npt but I could be wrong there. Get a tap, tap the holes you want to plug and have at it. Using grease on the tap will help keep shavings out of the lower and blue loctite on the plugs.

You do NOT have to have the tq lower with the big bottom hole to see benefits. People have been doing this for decades to gain a little more pressure at higher motor heights.

9. Member
    Heelman do you have any remaining warranty on this engine? If yes, I'd do as Don recommended.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Standard opti...top 3 plugged...scoops and 15 to 20 psi....12 to 15 in turns running 1.5" below pad on tr186 triton.