Thread: Update PS-21?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Trying to get a handle on the forward view angles relating to real life fishing techniques.
    I have no first hand experience with the system so I am trying to make decisions based descriptions and pictures shared on the site.
    What are the pro/cons of a wide vs narrow beam?
    Is one better than the other for deep or shallow fishing?
    Is a wider beam better for searching but more difficult to stay on target once found?
    My understanding is that the transducer is swept side to side for the strongest return(solid deeper color) so that the intended target(s) are in the center of the beam angle, be it 20 degrees or 45degrees.
    What part of the picture am I missing in the beam angle discussion and/or preferences?
    Thanks

2. Banned
    I would think the wider beam would be better for finding fish in 30' of water or less. With the narrow beam wouldn't you tend to miss a lot of fish and structure?

3. Member
    Ive been thinking about this and I dont know if there is a clear winner either way.

The narrower beam angle would make for more precise location of where a fish was, but it might make it harder to find them at a distance because you might zip past them before they register on the screen - especially if your trolling motor turned fast.

The wider cone would definitely be better if your trolling motor doesnt have fine control of which directions its pointing.

The narrower angle would have smaller dead zones on sloped areas or busy bottoms and would make for better detail on structure, but you will be covering less water area.

Ive only used the wide cone version, so its hard for me to judge for sure. I like mine just fine, but there are times I think a narrow cone would be good to have as an option.

Leonard would be a better judge since he has both options - but he likes to fish tooooo much to do more testing!! ;)
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

4. Member
    Lwinchester2 - does the TM version have the builtin AHRS and compass options?

5. Member
    Larry
    I should add, that my grand plan is to have the forward view and a GT52 on a separate stick type mount independent of the trolling motor, up front and a ps30 downview on the transom with a 93sv for each transducer.

Chase smallies and walleyes and salmon on the great lakes and they move a lot, so I guess I am leaning towards a wider beam angle?

This is starting to feel like " should I cut the blue wire or the red wire"! LOL

6. Member
    Been knocked out of fishing the last three days. Toooo cold and windy. Still windy but going today. Larry, you can make intuitive predictions of performance expectations based on the specs and logic involved. The good part is that Garmin has done a good job with these. So far I am leaning towards the tighter cone. I use 20 degrees mostly on the PS31. I find that the tighter cone does help pinpoint direction with less back and forth of the trolling motor. With the original PS21 I had to do quite a bit of back and forth to get the sweet spot. What I don't like about the 31 is where they put the cone adjustment in the software. It's so much trouble to get to that rarely use it as effectively as I could if it was better designed. Ideally instead of MENU->Setup->Installation->Beam Width->Selection and then backing out, I won't it on-screen as a thermometer one-touch setting. That makes it useful for fishing. 40 degrees until fish are located, then either 20 or 10 to pinpoint them. The original PS21 is a compromise on the pinpointing with the compensation being done by more back and forth panning to get dead on. The new 21 is a compromise of the first locate, being tighter, better pinpoint but with the compensation being done by a slower pan. The slower pan is not a handicap. It's just something you adjust to. The 31 could be the best of all with a change in the software, but it is not. I put in this software request some time ago. And it's rare to hear whether a suggestion will be implemented or not. For crappie fishing, if I had to make decision today, as to just one of them, of course it would be the 31. Of the 21's I would give the edge to the new one. Most of the time I don't need the wider cone. For my walleye fishing I would rank them with the same priority but for different reasons. I fish a lot of areas with sheer cliffs and rocky drop offs. I see fish holding close to these walls better with the tighter cones. It's a different world though looking for fish that are 80-100 ft deep. It's not doughnuts with red centers. The light pastel returns are what to look for. You have to pay more attention to the display. But I'm not doing that now. It's crappie time, shallow water and wide open.

Generally I don't use any of the LiveVu Forward (21's or 31) to decide where to fish. I've been using SideVu and the PS30, both on the transom, to motor around to decide where to stop and fish. Then it changes from locating the area to fish to targeting fish.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Larry
    I should add, that my grand plan is to have the forward view and a GT52 on a separate stick type mount independent of the trolling motor, up front and a ps30 downview on the transom with a 93sv for each transducer.

Chase smallies and walleyes and salmon on the great lakes and they move a lot, so I guess I am leaning towards a wider beam angle?

This is starting to feel like " should I cut the blue wire or the red wire"! LOL
    MikeF. You have a good plan. Nothing like the PS30 to find fish. I'm real pleased with how close it can see near the bottom when set to 10 degrees. I don't have a separate stick for the LiveVu Forward but I'm sure it would be an improvement to my setup. Using the trolling motor for boat control and locating fish requires a compromise and when the wind is blowing it's the locating fish that gets sacrificed. Also now completely contradicting myself, SideVu comes more into play. Prior to PS30 I adjusted the SideVu to look to the side just a bit more than the depth with the contrast and gain maxed out. Don't need that now. PS30 is going to show them. Count on it. So I've gone back to traditional settings on SideVu extending the port/starboard range and fine tuning the controls to show fish against the structure background. They are harder to see that way but it's a better use of it. I also use SideVu on the trolling motor. I still keep it adjusted close in and bleached out. So the PS21 is looking forward and at the same time the SideVu is looking left and right. It's just a percentage thing. You never know where roving schools of fish will show up, which direction they are coming from or which way they will be going.

Haha!!! Cut the red wire. It's a percentage thing.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    I really like the idea of being able to choose beam width to suit what you are doing. Makes me wish I had a PS30!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Lwinchester2 - does the TM version have the builtin AHRS and compass options?
    There is an AHRS On/Off option under Installation. There is no calibration option that I can find and no little boat up in the corner. Keep in mind the unit was developed and sold as a Fixed transom mount xd. If someone buys one and wants to put it on the trolling motor, that mount does NOT come with it.

10. Member
    Thanks!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    There is an AHRS On/Off option under Installation. There is no calibration option that I can find and no little boat up in the corner. Keep in mind the unit was developed and sold as a Fixed transom mount xd. If someone buys one and wants to put it on the trolling motor, that mount does NOT come with it.
    Here is the mount to put it on the trolling motor.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12407-00

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12