RIP -April 30,2023

water temp gauge install

for the folks that want to read water temp for troubleshooting purposes or just to monitor temps, this can be done by drilling a hole and taping it just in front of thermostat, installing sending unit and installing gauge anywhere you want. make sure you use a teflon paste on the sending unit thread before you screw it in. most of your sending units are 1/8" npt thread(which is what mine is) and you use a 11/32 drill bit and a 1/8" pipe tap for the hole. You can also install a sending unit in each head and use the same gauge, just use an on/off/on switch to swap from one sending unit to the other, on the fly. User can also install a sending unit(s) and not install gauge but have gauge available when wanting to read temps when on the water hose. There is many different brand of gauges available whether it be digital or analog. temp ranges from 0-300+degrees. i used an autometer gauge Product # 200762-33. the sending unit is autometer also which is
    Product # 990344. I wasnt to concerned with reading exact temp but more so if i have a problem which i figure i would see water temp rising rapidly but there is many different gauges available. a digital gauge would give the user an exact temp if thats what your looking for. they also start at a much lower temp sometimes as low as 0-300 degrees.

anyone that has questions about install and/or gauges thats available, ill be more than happy to help.

2. Member
    Good job Chris! The scaling on that gauge is odd, does it ever move past the first tick? It would be nice to have a gauge with a more refined scale for outboard motor use instead of the I/O style.

3. RIP -April 30,2023
    mine runs at the 130 mark. you can actually see the thermostat open and close while watching the gauge. ill post some pics of different gauges also with a better scale

4. Member
    I had read not to use tape on threads as the threaded portion provides the ground for the sensor to function. Maybe there is stilll enough contact when threaded to provide the ground, I would imagine tape doesn't completely isolate threads. Looks like very clean job, thanks for posting, I'm planning to do this on my motor soon, this was a great help.
    I would like to find a gauge and sensor that started around 80 degees, if anyone knows of one let me know.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PTFE Paste would work well on the threads of the sensor, it should still receive an adequate ground.

Thanks, Chris- added to the FAQ Thread as: DUAL TEMP SENDERS TO MONITOR INDIVIDUAL CYLINDER HEAD TEMPS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor