Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New 2017 X 19 with SHO 175

Well, I just got this boat last week and I just now got the 2 hr breakin done. Winds have been horrible here in Missouri and I have not had a day since break in to really see what it will do with the stock Power Tech I am assuming this is a 23 pitch prop? It has a 10"Hi Jacker plate ( I could not get it to move anymore up ) Hole shot seems like engne is not building RPM's it will come out of the hole decent, but I expected quicker. Its about the same as my Ranger519 with a 225 SHO. Lift seems good on front end, bt again on top end engine RPM's are ver low. 5400 - 5600 speeds seem to top out around 58 right now. Not what I was expecting at all.

I am having a hard time understanding which prop to try out. I am not understanding all the abbriviations you are using lol. Can you give me advice with manufactuers name and model from your experience that makes this boat and engine come alive please?

Thanks
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

2. Member
    Get rid of the powertech and get a turbo FXP in a 23p or 24p.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

3. Member
    Tried to buy one all day today. Everyone is sold out and factory can't give me a build date if I order one from them. I heard May from one dealer. Anyone know of someone that has one in stock?
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

4. Banned
    Springfield guy here. Yes that motor should be jumping out of the hole with that setup. Ive got an older X19 with the Yam. 150 and its a holeshot king when i push the hotfoot to the floor. As stated above you need to reprop. I run a 25M on mine and running low 60's with 10" Hyd. JP. Going to try to find a good used FXP to try and get a few more MPH.

5. Member
    I just bought the same boat in January. I have no issues jumping out of the hole with the SHO 175 and the Powertech 23. May be your engine height.

6. Member
    Lee ....... here's some info for you ....... coming from a guy that came out of a 518vx/200 Opti to the X19.

Your prop ..... 'OFX3R23PCL200'
    'OFX' = version of prop
    '3' = 3 blade
    'R' = right hand rotation
    '23' = 23" pitch
    'PCL200' = hub diameter/size for given engine class ...... in this case meant for V6/large gearcases.

Even though a Powertech prop typically is 95% of the time a turd on a hyperlift hull ...... you STILL should have a fast holeshot. Every Xpress hyperlift I've owned (3) have been a rocket out of the hole (compared to a normal fiberglass bass boat) regardless of prop. The X19/200 combo I have now is by far the fastest of the 3. My RPM's don't build to the magic '3500-3700' range and then the boat jump up like all my fiberglass boats have. Rather this X19/200 just takes off, it just goes. It's like instantaneous. By the time my motor makes it to 3000rpm, she's up on plane ..... as in like 3 seconds. And that's with a 2.6L HPDI 200, which is not known for having near as much torque as a big block.

I would start looking at the motor. I'm not familiar with break-in on the SHO's. Is it possible that she's just not 'woke up' yet due to needing the full break-in period??? IDK.

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you got a water pressure gauge ...... especially before you over raise the engine and end up starving it for water. Typically 4" prop shaft below the pad is a good starting point. Typically most guys settle with 3.5" below the pad if they got a manual jackplate. All of this is dependant on which version of prop being ran and weight distribution.

(Turbo) FXP should be a great prop for your motor combination ............ but in the meantime, if it was me and money was no object, I'd locate a (Mercury) Trophy (new or used), I'd slap a cavitation ring on it, and then put solid PVS plugs (Mercury's prop plug system for varying escaping exhaust to help holeshot) in it as well. You can then experiment with PVS hole diameters to get the holeshot you want. Typically with a used Trophy you can always get your money back out of them if you decide to sell it.

Hope it helps.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

7. Member
    Ranger391V I am not complaining about the hole shot to much. It does fine I can be on plane around 2500 RPM's in a couple of seconds or so. The dealer told me when I picked the boat up that the prop was not right for this boat and he called and said he is going to send a different one to me to try and see if it does any better. He is sending a Power Tech RKR 4 blade 22"P. I figured it would be worth a free shot for now since the FXP's are sold out. If this new prop does not get me higher RPM's then I may just try the Trophy like you mentioned or by then maybe the FXP's will be available to buy?

As fo the ater pressure gauge I have one installed but it does not work, they said probably has a kink in the line. How you find that problem is going to be fun I bet lol.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

8. Member
    Yea ...... Xpress' rigging tube will definitely leave you standing on your head. I fought with mine 1 big time when I re-rigged mine when I first got it (hydraulic steering, Lowrance HDS 'stuff', controls for hydraulic jackplate, controls for blinker trim, hotfoot cable AND a water pressure gauge tube). LOL

If you get in a pinch, you can try unplugging the hose from the powerhead and from the gauge and give it a blow ..... air 'should' flow freely. With that said ..... brand new boat ....... I wouldn't touch it, dealer would.

RKR's ............ we talk a lot of junk about the Powertech props ....... but in all honesty, the TRO4 (Trophy clone) is pretty good on 'some' Xpress hyperlifts, the VMX (Yamaha T1 clone) is pretty decent, and the RKR3 I'm told is a Raker clone with the RKR4 being a 4 blade variant. I've heard that the RKR is a pretty 'stiff' prop .... hence the dealer wanting to put a 22" on a 175ho type motor.

I'm interested in knowing what you find out about the RKR4. I really like full barrel props on hyperlift hulls. What I've found is you really don't need a venting prop on a typical fishing setup hyperlift ..... hence the cavitation ring on the Trophy.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!!!

9. Member
    The 23 pt prop came on my
    is a long blade prop it is more like a 25 pitch .It turned 5400 rpms 24 tempest turned amost 6000.A Xpress dealer told me a 24 fury runs good on the x19 175sho
    m

10. Member
    Well back to the drawing board I suppose. I finally got the prop delivered last night. As I said earlier they sent me a Power Tech RKR 4 blade 22"P the did not send any plugs with it so when I ran it this morning so I was not expecting it to run great. Hole shot was way better but did want to blow out when it broke over. Knew that would happen. Was able to get 5800 RPM dropped 2 mph on top end 55mp with only me in it. Boat did not have near the lift nor did I " feel " it get on the pad like other prop. I have asked the dealer to locate me a Fury or a FXP 23P or I will just keep this junk PT 3 blade and buy something else on my own. We will see what they do, such is the problem buying a boat in another state a 6 hrs away. Hard to come up with enough time to go back and drop off to see if they can work on it and fix the little things.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

11. Member
    Dang! I would have figured the RKR to be a better prop than the OFX for our bass boats.

12. Member
    I just received a New Mercury Temptest 24P 3 blade. Raised JP down about 1/2" from when I got it from the dealership. Took it for a test run with 2 guys full tournament load and 3/4 tank of fuel I finally hit 60mph on the gps. But it still will only turn it at 5400 rpms. Regardless the boat handled much better way easier to steer at WOT and trimmed up. It did have the small diam plugs in it. Hole shot was a little slower not bad though. Today I raised JP back up about 1/2" to where it came from factory little above 3-1/2" below the pad. Hoping to get a few more rpms from that and maybe a little more top end? If I put in solid plugs that will help with holeshot but not help with WOT speed correct? Getting closer if I have to I will ship off this prop and have it worked on. I like it much better.

Thanks for the help
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee X19 View Post
    I just received a New Mercury Temptest 24P 3 blade. Raised JP down about 1/2" from when I got it from the dealership. Took it for a test run with 2 guys full tournament load and 3/4 tank of fuel I finally hit 60mph on the gps. But it still will only turn it at 5400 rpms. Regardless the boat handled much better way easier to steer at WOT and trimmed up. It did have the small diam plugs in it. Hole shot was a little slower not bad though. Today I raised JP back up about 1/2" to where it came from factory little above 3-1/2" below the pad. Hoping to get a few more rpms from that and maybe a little more top end? If I put in solid plugs that will help with holeshot but not help with WOT speed correct? Getting closer if I have to I will ship off this prop and have it worked on. I like it much better.

Thanks for the help
    My tempest set it to mark croxton .He is good .He balanced and blueprint and added cup .Make notes weight .Fuel every thing in boat .Motor height.Air and water temp.rpms .Money well spent for me.

14. Member
    How many hr have you got on it now

15. Member

Thanks for the help
    So I want to make sure I'm following along ......
    1. Prop shaft height ..... it was at around 3.5" with the old Powertech OFX and RKR ..... but you lowered it to 4", and ran 60 with the new Tempest ...... and now have it raised back up to 3.5" and going to test the Tempest again ...... correct? Thus the Tempest ran faster and was at a deeper setup than the other 2 Powertech props.

2. PVS plugs ......... you said holeshot was 'a little slower', and the Tempest has 'small hole' plugs in it ....... and you're thinking about going to 'solids'. 'Solids' will slow your holeshot down even further (typically). The only time 'solids' will speed you up on holeshot is if the prop is slipping too much (free spinning RPM's) and you need less ventilation. You are correct that it doesn't have (or 'in your case it shouldn't have') any effect on WOT speed.

If the prop is not over ventilating on holeshot, to speed up holeshot you'll need to increase hole diameter ......... you can do this by buying the next size bigger PVS plugs ('mediums') OR just take a drill bit and carefully drill the small diameter hole out to a larger size. A Google search will pop up Mercury's specs on hole diameters for the various PVS plugs if you don't have that info.

With all that said, I know my X19 doesn't start coming to life until you start getting it above 3.5" ........ but I have to run a hydraulic jackplate to walk it up to get it there with the props I've got. I've got a Tempest in my stack of props as well .... with limited testing done with it. I do remember that most of my props like 3.5"-4" for cruising around, and then all of them want to be raised above 3.5" as speed increases.

The other thing ...... I agree with Nickl' ........ new motors are tight, as they get hours on them they tend to loosen up a little and will gain a little speed as well.

16. Member
    Plugs have nothing to do with WOT speed. I'd find the BEST running stock prop I could find before sending one out to any tuner. Almost every BBC post about X boat setups the go fast guys here mention 4 blades and Turbo FXP/TXP's. I'd find one of those to try long before I spent $300-400 tuning one. JMO

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickl View Post
    How many hr have you got on it now
    Less than 10 hrs I would venture to guess probably more like 5 hrs.

I will d a google earch and see what size to ty and drill out holes. I am not getting any slip and if I could get a few more RPM's I think that could help with hole shot. Thanks for the info.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

18. Member
    just pull one plug out and try it with 2

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

19. Member
    Ended up pulling all four plugs, came out of the hole better but for the life of me I can not get it to turn more than 5400 rpms. I have moved the jackplate up and even removed the transducer shield off of it to lower motor down even further than before. Still top speed 59mph with only me in it and a light load last weekend. Bummed out to say the least. I guess I may have ordered a 23p tempest?
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

20. Member
    Ended up pulling all four plugs, came out of the hole better but for the life of me I can not get it to turn more than 5400 rpms. I have moved the jackplate up and even removed the transducer shield off of it to lower motor down even further than before. Still top speed 59mph with only me in it and a light load last weekend. Bummed out to say the least. I guess I may have ordered a 23p tempest?
    Did you buy your boat in Clarksville ar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast