Thread: Slow to crank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    cold oil has more resistance in engine than hot oil also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Member
    I have 200 opti and has done this for 12 years, slow to crank then runs fine rest of day. Well mine slow cranked today and wore battery down in about a minute of trying to start. I have tried 3 different batteries, last 2 on recommend list and the one currently is only a few months old. No fishing done today, frustrating!

3. Banned
    Been a while since I looked at this thread. I've since replaced my starting battery with an G31 X2 Power Premium AGM. It has 1150 CCA. Guess what? It's still slow to crank on a cold start.

It's whatever. Been like this since day 1, battery matter not and plenty of other Opti owners that experience the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    cold oil has more resistance in engine than hot oil also
    Bingo, we have a winner. Substanchly more cranking resistance with cold oil. Two stroke oil is very sticky esp. cold
    Last edited by lpugh; 10-15-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And don't forget the Gear Lube... at the far end of all the spinning gadgetry.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Same with my 2018 250 Pro XS - first start is always draggy. I can unload the boat, beach it, turn it off, and go park the truck. Come back and it fires right up. Charger is always plugged in immediately upon return.

Glad I read this because nothing made sense based on what it was doing.
    Last edited by razrback; 09-30-2020 at 08:58 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by razrback View Post
    Same with my 2018 250 Pro XS - first start is always draggy. I can unload the boat, beach it, turn it off, and go park the truck. Come back and it fires right up. Charger is always plugged in immediately upon return.

Glad I read this because nothing made sense based on what it was doing.
    lol yup. 6.5 years and my motor still starts slow on the first cold start. But, it still starts. And runs perfectly.

8. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12