Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    if it feels rough,it is likely the flake.you can spray clear back over the flake,but ive never had success with it lasting more than a few years,but im not a painter by any stretch!you can wet sand the boat down smooth and buff/polish it,BUT,it will turn the exposed flake silver!colored flaked is only color on the surface,its all silver underneath.i did this to my Venture dominator,which was mostly silver flake,but did have orange and black flake in it,which for the most part is gone after wet sanding and buffing.i got the boat hull from a boneyard and blew the remaining "quicke"clearcoat off with an air-hose before sanding/buffing.its been about three years since it was done and still shines and buffs out nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Looks good! I plan on the outdoor elbow grease once the weather breaks and I can pull it out in the yard....

3. Member
    I guess I'll sand on the red flake and see what happens. The top cap is the only are it feels rough. If that's all I have to repair it might be ok. I do have two spots on the hull where he applied BONDO. SMH!! I'all take the time to fix it right. I'm sure, I'll sand into the flake here.

4. Member
    yikes!bondo is no good on a boat(or a auto either IMHO)!

5. Member
    First step is complete!

6. Member
    motor sounds healthy!any more progress?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    motor sounds healthy!any more progress?
    very little, even though I've put a ton of time and money into it. Once I got the motor running I had to put a rectifier in it which lead to a blown Power Pack. I just got it running again today. All the gauges are working. I melted a the trolling motor switch when I hooked up the batteries. I got some video's to share of the hull condition.

I'm planning to get it on the water and just figuring it all out. I definitely must re-gel coat the top cap.

8. Member
    "A hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass and wood into which one pours money"-definition of Bass Boat
    glad your making forward progress,dang things will hundred dollar you to death!

9. Member
    Do you know the cheapest part about boats?

The Owner!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terminal eagle View Post
    Do you know the cheapest part about boats?
    The Owner!
    selling them?

11. Member
    Planning a maiden voyage tomorrow if the Ohio River isn't too high. Planning to put the boat in the water and run it around a bit. Then take it home and mount a new Minn Kota to it.

The boat is wired for 24volts. Does anyone know if I can hook the trolling motor up directly to my battery cables?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggodwin View Post
    Planning a maiden voyage tomorrow if the Ohio River isn't too high. Planning to put the boat in the water and run it around a bit. Then take it home and mount a new Minn Kota to it.

The boat is wired for 24volts. Does anyone know if I can hook the trolling motor up directly to my battery cables?
    Might want to put a 30-40 Amp breaker in it somewhere.

13. Member
    I was actually told that 50~60 would be best. The shop I was at had a Guy there that was blowing 50amps when he was full speed ahead in head winds.

i didn't make it out today. I pretty much chickened out. I decided I'd put a water pump in it before taking it out. So, the pump is going in tomorrow morning.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggodwin View Post

My advice is to run the boat upstream during the sea trial. That way if you run into problems...it'll be much easier to drift back to the launch....rather than to try and fight the current with the TM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftSS View Post
    My advice is to run the boat upstream during the sea trial. That way if you run into problems...it'll be much easier to drift back to the launch....rather than to try and fight the current with the TM.
    That was actually the plan.

The day before we planned on taking it out I decided to put a new water pump in it. My 75 years old super mechanic father helped me. He put the bolt through the shifter rod. ..... he has bad eyes.

We put it in the Ohio with plans to go up stream as you mentioned. I back off the trailer in reverse... last gear I had. All I had was neutral. I had to re-install the lower unit. Did it all on my own.

made it to the river today. FYI the VRO buzzer hasn't been disconnected yet. My son is fishing in a high school tournament this weekend out of it. The plan is to get it all functional then re-gel coat it in the fall or winter.

16. Member
    nice job on getting it in the water!sounds healthy,how many rpms did you turn it?

17. Member
    I'm not really sure. I think about 4500. Have no idea what it'll do. I was rushed and honestly in a tight creek off the Ohio River. I didn't want to get to crazy with it the first time.

18. Member
    Nice boat with a tad of work .....My want to check be-hide the front cover at the bow . I have a 1988 Stratos 201 and they just cut the holes for the wire and gauges and didn't .Glass or epoxy the wood .
    I was adding a TM pan (tray ) in my boat today and took the cover off and found it . Took a ice pick and shop vac and dug out the bad wood so far .
    I brought some 1;1 ratio epoxy to cover the wood for the tray , but didn't plan on this . Think i am going to cut some wood stripes and coat all side with the epoxy then side in the voiid then cover the wood again with expoy ?
    going to gave the (epoxy )company a call Monday .
    going to check be-hide the dash also and see if they cover the back with epoxy also ...may have did that like up front .

Forget the gelcoat IMO, wrap it and enjoy it if the finish bugs you... There are some reasonable places to wrap a boat...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

Hey I seen your other thread which lead me here. Id run that, that motor sounds healthy! I have a 1987 150XP still running strong. Mine only has 90lbs of compression too. I woulda posted over there but i feel like those guys will rip my head off over there sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast