Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1989 Javelin 396 DC

I came across this 1989 Javelin 396 DC (Dual Console) 200 HP GT Johnson. I've never been a big fan of Javelin boats, but on the other hand I don't know that I've ever looked at one. The guy was going to give it to Goodwill and I offerened him $500 bucks for it. His is the original owner and fished out of it for 20 years. Once he parked it and never got the urge to use it again. In 2014 he bought new batteries for it and never moved it. (thought he wanted to fish again). He said that when he parked it there was nothing wrong with the boat. However, the cover came off two years ago and it has been sitting there in his back yard. It is a large boat with a single axle trailer with hydralic brakes. It had 85 lbs of compression (dry) on 5 of the 6 cyclinders. The other had 80 lbs.

Observations:
    » Floor felt solid as did all the lids. (Aluminum wrapped in Carpet)
    » Controls (stearing, throttle etc. felt a little stiff. (Expected)
    » Compartments looked awesome as did all the seals.
    » Did not see any damage under the hull.
    » Did not see any concerns with the transom.
    » Under the motor cowl was spotless. Looked new.
    » VRO system has never been disabled.
    » Power Trim worked. (Back buttons also worked)
    » Oxidation is very bad.
    » Not much water in the bottom under the rear deck. (Little puddling)
    » Bench seats are ruined but the chairs are in great condition.
    » Trailer is in good shape with brakes.

I have a son that is fishing on the High School bass fishing team this year. Currently, he is using his grand dad's old ProCraft. I think this may be a good project for him to learn how to earn something. He's a freshman and would rather dad go buy something that is fresh. I'd rather not perform a complete restoration. But, I dont know what I dont know.

My only concern on this boat is what is going on under the floor. How much wood is under there? How hard is it to access? Are these Hulls any good? These motors any good? Can this gelcoat be salvaged?

Please tell me your thoughts?

2. Member
    Should be similar to my 389. Can you reach below the drain? My drain had the famous "soft spot". Here is a shot of with the gas tank removed to give an idea where you would expect foam/stringers. I decided to just patch the rectangle I cut and then put new floor over the whole cockpit. Sealed new wood with fiberglass epoxy, paint, and will add carpet. Mine had carpet all the way under the gas tank which held unbelievable amount of water/mold/dirt. Not sure why they would carpet that far under. I will just have it to the base of the seat.

3. Member
    Let me get the coordinance of what I'm looking at in your picture. This is directly under the fuel tank and the transom is to the right side? Where is the drain you are speaking of? Is there a drain under the fuel tank?

4. Member
    Gas tank is under the seat. Drain on mine was in front..here is pic with tank exposed and drain plug that was in....notice that they had an aluminum flashing around drain to give it more support....

5. Member

6. Member
    Oh wow, I was way off.

On the 396 the fuel tank was below/behind the rear seat pedastal seat shifted toward the transom. It does have a drain up near the front deck. That was the only drain that I recall seeing.

7. Member
    Gotcha. Should be able to just start pulling things off of it and determine the scope of your issues. I took before photos anytime I disconnected anything. My winter project is almost done, just need to do the carpet now. I took mine to the extreme though. I hated dual console, so since I was fixing a floor issue, decided to cut out my passenger console... :)

8. Member
    It looks good. I'm sure your passenger will love it especially when you hit the big water. I'm not sure what I'm getting into. I just don't want a money pit. I think it has some value though. Not sure yet.

9. Member
    I think value is always relative. I have had my 1991 for almost 3 years. It does everything I need and gets me on the water. However it does have the BOAT (bust out a thousand) type expenses, but no payments etc. First year were seats/basic electronics. Last summer was 1k into powerpack and other engine issues....this winter is 600$ into my project upgrades...i just hope the summer doesnt have any unexpected.

Family project can go farther than just a tangible boat too. Good luck with what ever you decide.

10. Member
    My thoughts exactly, my son who is 15 is constantly looking on Craigslist for boats we can purchase. However, daddy's not going to just hand him a boat. He has an 88' Procraft Fish and Ski that he can use now. However, this is my fathers and was trying to sell it two years ago. In fact it was sold had it not been for a lower unit problem when the buyer came to see it run.

I figure if he can use that boat now while we get this one going then I can sell the other one for my father. (Who needs the money). Once he puts a little effort into this one he'll have something of his own. Sold his dirtbike and took half for this boat.

11. Member
    Any boat is a money pit.
    Rocket

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    Any boat is a money pit.
    2nd that!
    how much do realistically want/have to spend to get this where it needs to be?(remember,labor is free!)

13. Member
    Got the boat home and cleaned out. Power washing did wonders for this thing. The transom is as solid as can be. My main goal right now is to get the motor in operating condition. It may or may not run, but right now it only has spark on #1 cylinder. I'm going to do all I can to get this boat on the water. Once that is done I'll start evaluating all the systems.

14. Member
    good deal!post up pics when u can

15. Member
    Here is a link to a video just after I picked it up and just prior to pressure washing the boat.

https://youtu.be/4SyiWQMlOus

16. Member
    I'm not sure if the previous owner put something on the gel coat, but it is completely missing of gel coat on the top cap. I don't know which would be best to re-color-flake the top cap or just put a new layer of clear gel coat over it.

Here is a video just after pressure washing.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itperk76 View Post
    Gotcha. Should be able to just start pulling things off of it and determine the scope of your issues. I took before photos anytime I disconnected anything. My winter project is almost done, just need to do the carpet now. I took mine to the extreme though. I hated dual console, so since I was fixing a floor issue, decided to cut out my passenger console... :)
    Was your original floor made out of wood?
    i finally got the seats removed and looked into this spot. I haven't found a soft spot yet, but I can't imagine there not being one of it's made of wood. The seats had wood on the bottom and when I pulled them up they literally crumbled in my hands. So, if there is a wood floor then it has to be soft. Right now my focus is the motor. Once the weather clears up then I'll start looking under the rugs.

18. Member
    in the video,the gel looks really good!of course it does have a good sheet of water over it!can you feel the flake anywhere on it?

19. Member
    Yes, unfortunately the whole floor was wood laminated with glass. You can see it in the photo. I cut out the really bad spot, reinforced under the floor the brace, and then added a subfloor over top. Then I epoxy covered with a couple layers of glass, painted with that marine blue paint. Now that I am done, I only put carpet up to the gas tank, and not all the way under it like it was previously.

I am almost ready to go now.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    in the video,the gel looks really good!of course it does have a good sheet of water over it!can you feel the flake anywhere on it?
    Its hard to tell. It feels rough but I can't tell if it's flake or pits/oxidation. Last night o went out in the snow and wet sanded part of the back deck. It was rough but cleaned up and smoothed out really good. But what concerns me is the stickers are completely exposed. The gel coat is wiped out or they didn't clear over the stickers in 89'. I'm hoping it's the later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast