Farm work lesson...

I post this up as a reminder to you guys
    I have been going up to our farm alot by myself this year. Anytime I am doing something like running a saw or tractor work. I keep my phone in my pocket just in case.
    I was doing nothing dangerous (so I thought) so I left my phone in the house. I was trying to find the water level in a well so I dropped a string with a small bell sinker down the casing. I got to the water level but couldnt get an accurate measurement so I tied on a half inch x 3 inch bolt on the end of my construction string. I dropped it back down. At about ten feet it got hung up so I tugged on it and it was stuck. I pulled harder still stuck. So I yanked on it... it came flying up like a bullet. Hitting me in the face, Nearly knocking me out. It hit about an inch below my eye and an inch off the corner of my mouth. I felt my face and hand a hand full of blood. I stumbled to my truck and has about a 1/2" gash where the head hit me. Thankfully the Lord was looking out for me and kept it away from my eyes (Yes I had safety glasses on but it would have shattered them)and teeth. These things can happen so fast. Please be safe out there.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    Glad you are alright and yes things can and do happen fast around the farm!

If you're running a saw or cutting any trees. Wear a hardhat!! Not worth death or a helicopter ride b/c of a little comfort. I speak from experience.

4. Member
    Good advice. I don't have any standing trees to fall, mine are 100 year old cottonwoods that have tipped over along and old irragation ditch. I do however wear my chaps Everytime. I cut them in 5'-6' lengths as backlogs for deer beds. The older I get the more conscious I have become about safety. The damage to my hearing and body is already done. I hope if nothing else my son picks up on it and does it different
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Member
    that sucks, I am doing work on my cabin in the middle of nowhere N.C.

Same kinda thing for me........I am usually alone and just when you think what you are doing is safe, that is when you screw the pooch. I had an incident with a hole saw and a 8" diameter pvc pipe for the dam ob my pond, the bit jumped the pipe and rolled all the way up to my free hand even though I wasn't on the trigger, got a nice gash and could have been worse, but I was lucky.
    Question everything!