Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ulterra vs Ultrex

Considering upgrading my TM and these are my choices. I know the Ulterra had some issues with deployment when they first came out. I heard everything has been fixed and the spotlock is the same as Ultrex.
    Bad Back and knees...
    Is the cable steer that superior to the Ulterra?
    I am hoping to get feedback from people who have actually used the newer version of the Ulterra and was hoping to get pro's and cons on BOTH units.
    Thank in advance
    Tight Lines

I have had very little trouble on my Ulterra Gen1 with deployment or stowing. In the cases where I have had trouble is after I have monkeyed with mounting transducers on the TM, each time the issue has cured itself after some adjustments have been made to the transducer mounting system. I have used a cable steer very little but I can say cable steer is definitely quieter and quicker than the Gen1 Ulterra/Terrova electric steer.

At the ramp by yourself the Ulterra shines. Ready the boat for the water, make double sure you power on the Ulterrra. Oh, and if you have a bounce buster, UNHOOK IT! Don't ask me how I know this. Back the boat in, deploy the TM, move it out of the way and spot lock, smile at all the people watching and go park. You can take your time if there is any hint that the beast within wants out, visit the loo. Don't worry the boat will still be spot locked. Use the remote to drive the boat over to dock, if you have a bad back and knees make sure the boat is fully stopped before stepping in, once again don't ask me how I know this. Wave goodbye to everyone watching and go fish!
    Last edited by BigMouth; 03-06-2017 at 01:52 PM.

3. Member
    if your back can handle half the effort of picking up the others the ultrex is the way to go

4. Member
    I have a Gen 1 Ulterra and did have a few problems early on. On the second trip out the motor would not return all the way to the store position. Called Minn Kota and they knew what the problem was immediately. They had a magnet that was prone to falling off because of bad glue. They sent me a replacement and that took care of the problem. Then my remote and foot pedal would not communicate with each other. After a new foot pedal did not fix the problem I was sent a new remote and that fixed that issue. Last summer the drive belt broke and ruined the rest of my day on the water. Under warranty but still a pain. In the shop now for the latest upgrades. The repair shop was made aware of these up grades by Minnkota when they were replacing the drive belt. I was told it will make the spot lock more accurate. Now the good news. I have become very comfortable using the foot pedal and have no issues controlling the boat. I used to use a cable steer Minnkota and thought I would not like the electric steering but that is no issue for me. Love the spot lock and the auto store and deploy. Launching the boat alone is so easy that you will wonder would you did before you had this motor. Do as the other post said and you will have no issues. Forget the remote or forget to turn the power on at the motor prior to launching and you will not have so much fun. Don't ask me how I know but you will most likely only forget each of those just one time.

5. Member
    I forgot another positive. I love the power trim feature and use it a lot especially when fishing the thick stuff.

6. Member
    I have the Ulterra and I never even considered the Ultrex. I use the remote around my neck from anywhere in the boat. I don't even have the pedal mounted and I closed off the recessed tray so I have that much more room to walk around. I'm not sure what the fascination is with cable steer but I'm obviously in the minority.

7. Member
    Wow,
    All I have heard is the Negatives about the Ulterra
    Anyone else?

8. Member
    Just received my Ulterra...Here is the link.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=793719
    2017 Crestliner Commander 1850, Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    2021 Crestliner XF 189, Mercury 115 4 Stroke

9. Member
    To answer above question ... cable steer is a little quicker reaction but that said its old school now

People also will want want ultrex so they don't have to put a 360 in back of boat ... 360 doesn't play nice with ulterra plus if you use hydrowave ulterra strikes again and you have to install in aft of boat ... ultrex allows both 360 and hydrowave up front... when humming bird figures out how to use 360 and hydrowave on ulterra style trolling motor the need for ultrex / fortrex style will prolly fade into history

that said 360 works just fine if you want one off to side of talon bracket in aft

as far as the other post about bad things ... I think they pretty much worked the kinks out ... my fishing partner has been trouble free for 18 months and it's pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Lunker_Hunter; 03-24-2017 at 02:25 AM.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    I have had very little trouble on my Ulterra Gen1 with deployment or stowing. In the cases where I have had trouble is after I have monkeyed with mounting transducers on the TM, each time the issue has cured itself after some adjustments have been made to the transducer mounting system. I have used a cable steer very little but I can say cable steer is definitely quieter and quicker than the Gen1 Ulterra/Terrova electric steer.

At the ramp by yourself the Ulterra shines. Ready the boat for the water, make double sure you power on the Ulterrra. Oh, and if you have a bounce buster, UNHOOK IT! Don't ask me how I know this. Back the boat in, deploy the TM, move it out of the way and spot lock, smile at all the people watching and go park. You can take your time if there is any hint that the beast within wants out, visit the loo. Don't worry the boat will still be spot locked. Use the remote to drive the boat over to dock, if you have a bad back and knees make sure the boat is fully stopped before stepping in, once again don't ask me how I know this. Wave goodbye to everyone watching and go fish!
    How do you get the boat off the trailer with the TM deployed without interfering with the trailer?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob0225 View Post
    How do you get the boat off the trailer with the TM deployed without interfering with the trailer?
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex

12. Member

13. Member
    Anyone else?
    Love to hear from Ulterra owners
    What is this I hear about transducer cable not having a groove to sit in like the Ultrex and what a PIA that is??? ( He mentioned deploying and the motor able to go around more than 360)
    What was this Ultrex owner talking about on the boat yesterday? I was impressed with the Ultrex but the Auto store and trim adjust seem key.
    Do we think the Ultrex will come out as an auto deploy/ trim in the future?

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Ultrex over the Ulterra hands down, id rather be able to manually raise and lower my motor (as long as I was physically able) then worry if it will actually stow or deploy, id also prefer the cable with electric assist over all electric steering anyday. You will never see auto stow and deploy on a Ultrex due to the cable driven steering.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Ultrex over the Ulterra hands down, id rather be able to manually raise and lower my motor (as long as I was physically able) then worry if it will actually stow or deploy, id also prefer the cable with electric assist over all electric steering anyday. You will never see auto stow and deploy on a Ultrex due to the cable driven steering.
    I hear ya I have over 1000 stow and deploys on my 3 yr old Ulterra and not an issue yet and the belt could break at any time but Ultrex owners have all the additional electronic and mechanical parts that it takes to convert the cable steer to electric steer which the Ulterra doesn't have so each has it's pro's and con's. Ain't new technology great.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    I hear ya I have over 1000 stow and deploys on my 3 yr old Ulterra and not an issue yet and the belt could break at any time but Ultrex owners have all the additional electronic and mechanical parts that it takes to convert the cable steer to electric steer which the Ulterra doesn't have so each has it's pro's and con's. Ain't new technology great.
    agree all the new technology comes with a price, we will be broken down and the guy with the jonboat with his transom mount 45 pound thrust 12 volt minn kota will still be fishing.

17. Member
    I think I will trade in my TM for a wooden paddle. Although the paddle sucks, at least I know I will be able to get it back in the boat.

18. Member
    I have the newest Ulterra and have been using it for two months. My previous TM was the Terrova iPilot which I loved but getting older and not liking the manual stow and deploy on a heaving deck I went Ulterra. I can honestly say so far it has been more than I expected. It has worked flawlessly. The spot lock is much improved along with a number of other features that have also gotten better/more refined. I did not even consider the Ultrex because you still have to manually deploy/stow the unit and it is primarily foot controlled which requires me to balance on one foot on that heaving deck. Give me my Ulterra with the remote and no foot pedal cluttering the deck and I'm a happy angler.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    agree all the new technology comes with a price, we will be broken down and the guy with the jonboat with his transom mount 45 pound thrust 12 volt minn kota will still be fishing.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    I think I will trade in my TM for a wooden paddle. Although the paddle sucks, at least I know I will be able to get it back in the boat.
    Shouldn't be hard to figure out a way to mount a transducer to the end of the paddle either
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast