Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Which Allison would be best

I will be in the market in the near future for a new boat. I have been checking out allison. Here's what I would want and maybe some of y'all could help me.

First speed of course. Next I don't really need alot of room I mainly fish by myself 90% of the time and in tournaments. So what would y'all recommend for those two that I want.
    I was checking out the xb-2002 but can't even find a used one. Did they stop making these? Also what would be the best site to locate a Allison.
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Did you check the boats for sale page? There are a few XB21's on there. Don't see a whole lotta 2002's for sale.

3. Member
    If speed is first an xb2002 is the fastest with least amount of power for sure, second up is the xb2003.

The xb2003 is still faster than 99% of what you will come across on a daily basis. I personally think the 2003 fishes better, has better wind protection for passengers etc if you are worried about that at all.

You can find them used, the Allison owners forum is a great place for finding used Allison's.

Last I heard you cannot buy a new xb2002 or 3 because of the fuel tank, they haven't updated them yet to the new coast guard stsndards(but there is nothing wrong with the old tanks IMO from a use and longevity standpoint, I never had a tank related issue).

You can always call them and see if they'll build you one but it wouldn't come rigged with a new motor bigger than a 175(that's the biggest a 2.5l motor is made now)

a new 2002 with a opti 175 would be a beast gas mileage wise and prolly still run mid 70's however if speed is a concern that route wouldn't be the one to take.

You could get a 15" 200 Ros new, would be my choice but last i heard you have to race to get one if in the US, no biggie enter on e race In a lake racer class for the fun and done.

For used ones I would look for a 2002 or 03 with either a promax or "prostock" set up(200xri with 260 electrics) either will fly and have steel bores and require a lot less maintenance than a 260 or 280 in the long run.

4. Member
    Look on facebook, search Allison boats, a few pages will come up join them, theres a few xb03s and xb02s for sale.

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

5. Member
    What size waters do you fish? Are you a diy kinda guy? Do you like to buy new and not mess with it?
    if you fish big waters, like standard bass boat lay outs, and/or prefer buy and use it with no fiddling type of stuff than you would probably rather get the newer and bigger xb21 bassport pro 2 seater. Standard bass boat that still has Allison quality and typical run high 80s with a 250.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

6. Member
    Don't be afraid of the 21s. With a 250/300 they are no slouch and fish exponentially better.

Nothing with touch a xb2002 with an older 280 or a drag on it however...

How much you fish will determine what work best. If you are gonna fish and TX fish half the time a 2002 is out. I TX fish out of a 2003 and while it is possible is has its draw backs. The front deck is smallish. Not a lot of room for many rods. Rod storage is doable but, takes getting use to along with the trip to the front deck. The 2 front seats sit very close together so it can be tricky getting to the front deck. IMHO, If fishing is your priority go with a XB-21. If fishing and riding are a priority XB2003. If hauling ass and fishing every now and then 2002. As soon as I can afford to make the jump to the XB-21 I am gone!

8. Banned
    Don't do alot of BIG water fishing. Where I'm from its motles cypress lakes and few open lakes. Occasionally the river and suh. But when blast off comes around early in the morning I don't want to see any other boat in front of me, if they are I would be coming up very quick.

9. Banned
    But fishing is all I do. Every now and then take the family to a river to swim and tube and such

10. Member
    Ok so now we have family to accommodate. How many kids. If only 1 then I still would suggest the 2 seater bassport pro but if more than 1 kid you could go the 2+2 like I have. Whole family loves it plus it fishes just like a real bass boat and treats family like a fish n ski. I have a tri pod to tube with and can have 8 poles on the front deck when fishing. Awesome family boat that I do not feel like I am compromising at all with. One added bonus, when just my dad and I go fish he is over 70 and starting to have balance issues so getting up and down from bass boat decks is getting sketchy. With the 2+2 you remove the back 2 seats in about 5 seconds and leave at home so dad can stay in the bottom of the boat and just lean or sit on the rear deck. Safer for him.

I ran a 26 bravo last summer and tubed during mid day and ran around the lake at over 80mph with the same prop. And the holeshot is breakneck. Guys talk about the holeshot is so fast the trim cant even keep up with the boat and have to feather the hotfoot to not get ahead of the trim button. What other boat in your tourney is gonna do that? Unless you have a bullet or stroker you could beat everybody with a little 26 pitch prop with 1.62 gears and a 250.
    Last edited by Jwolff; 03-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

11. Member
    I only fish and normally by myself. I have xb21xst and it fits the application for me.

12. Banned
    My son is 4 and he comes with me about every time in the weekend. But other than that it would be wife, me and him

If I was serious about fishing .. having owned most models that Allison makes.. XB21.. hands down.. whether you want a 4 seater or 2 is up to you.. Not sure what mine will run, I just hung a 250 on it .. It had a 225 Etec with no low water pickups .. This thing is sweet with the 250 and a sporty ..I don't think I will be following many boats to my favorite hole.

14. Member
    The xb2002 is a great boat but I wouldn't call it a serious fishing platform. I would say xb21 or xb2003 if you are on a budget. With a 225 an xb2003 will fish at mid to high 80's pretty easily.

you can still buy a new 2002 it just comes without a gas tank. you can find tanks the plume it yourself. a friend bought one 2 years ago. he put the 175 on it bought a sporty and now runs upper 80's consistently

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skewby View Post
    you can still buy a new 2002 it just comes without a gas tank. you can find tanks the plume it yourself. a friend bought one 2 years ago. he put the 175 on it bought a sporty and now runs upper 80's consistently
    That's what I need!

17. Banned
    I can only find prices on the new xb21 and used ones. Do any of y'all know what a new one cost? Xb2002

18. Member

19. Member
    Take a ride in each one if you can! If you were closer I'd take you for a ride in my xb2003!

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

20. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    first choice for what you stated are your requirements would be the XB21 2+2 model if yu could find one that would fit your budget. After that model of XB21 I would say the Prosport then the bassport Pro. If the 21 footers are out of your price range then I would definitely find a good XB2003 which will be a great family platform and the much better choice for fishing than the XB2002.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast