New Keypad Starting Question

Just installed a new keypad and brain in my 06' z20, everything seems to be working fine but I can't figure out how to start it. I tried 1234 start like on my old pad and I get nothing. Anyone know if the sequence changed or if I need to add my own or something? Any help would be awesome!
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by and unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
    www.RPETackle.com

2. Member
    When you say everything works you are getting live-wells and aerators and such just no start?

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Exactly. I can even do 1234 and push stop and the whole thing shuts down like normal.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by and unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
    www.RPETackle.com

4. Member
    Well than it appears your code is working. Check obivios first kill switch, If mercury does it beep at start up? if all that check good check for voltage at starter as start button is pushed. If that does not work assuming you have a bypass switch see if it works with that.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Once master power is on, do this; Start, 1234, Start, Start.............................She will rumble to life......................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

6. Member
    If you press 1 2 3 4 Start Start, do you get the all clear beep ? If not, stop right there. Until that happens, she ain't starting. Flip your kill switch off and back on and try again. Report back. :)
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

7. Member
    Also, When I first got my new one, the start button was a bit picky. Press it slowly and HARD. Mine took a firm push at first and has softened over time.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

8. Member
    Kill switch, motor out of gear and in neutral?

Tried everything this morning. Pretty sure the start button is bad. Every other button works, when I push the other buttons the little red light blinks, I get nothing when I push the start button. Put the old panel and brain back in and it started fine.
    www.RPETackle.com

10. Member
    Like Roger said you have to push start and then start again

Turns out I was sent a bad keypad. Put the old one back on and started right up. Ranger is over-nighting a new one to me.
    www.RPETackle.com

12. Member
    Can I ask why you changed it ,if your old one still works? Also when I had to change mine I was told by Ranger that I had to replace both Pad and Brain as old will not work with new but evidently yours did. Mine is 07 Z21

I just installed the same pad and black box. When I first went to start mine it wouldn't turn over. All the other switches on the pad worked except the start button. I found that during install I must have shorted the system and tripped the main breaker in the back beside the starting battery on starboard side. Check it carefully it's hard to tell sometimes if it's tripped. Also check that the grey plug is pushed in all the way. One grey plug runs the start cercuit only. I know this sounds stupid but check shift lever is in neutral. I spent several hours one night checking everything but this just to glance over and see the lever in full reverse. You really feel stupid then. You do know the main breaker doesn't reset just bupushing the red button. There is a little black paddle that flips up like a clock hand from the middle to upper left. You have to swing it back down into place

All the more reason to have a KEY START !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    Always have a backup manual key to plug in just in case the key pad fails....it’s a must and a very important option on a new boat order!

16. Member
    Any secrets to the key back up if the keypad don't work?

17. Member
    You unlpug the connector at the rear of the key pad that match the keyswitch plug, plug in the key switch, that it

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

18. Member
    I need to order the spare switch with key

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    You unlpug the connector at the rear of the key pad that match the keyswitch plug, plug in the key switch, that it
    I did it as a test the other day and it did not work. It was installed when I got the boat in2005. Guess I need to look further battery maybe. Thanks