New to "new" electronics

Replacing my 1990 ranger (that ive had since 90')with a brand bew boat as we speak. My electronics knowledge is basically grey 20degree 15 year old electronics lol. Going by a few friends im having 2-12" gen 3's installed w/3d structure scan. Linked together. What else do i need? I also will have an ultrex on bow. Will they be hooking up to a built in transducer? Do i need to tell them I need a different one? Sorry very naive to this new tech. Trying to catch up. Im BIG on using my graphs up front. Any help would be awesome. Thanx

2. Member
    I would recommend finding someone close to you that does some sort of sonar training. By training, I mean, someone who covers install, setup and interpretation. If you don't know what you're looking at or how to set it up, then its just a waste of money. May be some good videos or reading out there, I don't know.

3. Member
    I agree with flash point. Find someone that does training. watch as much stuff as you can on youtube on your units before you spend time with the expert to have an idea of what questions you want answered. Watch the Fletcher Shyrock video. Good start but a bunch of other stuff out there.

4. Member
    I bought a hds7 for my bow on craiglist the other day, it came with a dr sonar dvd. Popped it in last night and it is very good for my entry level! Covers install, setup, sonar, chart, etc..... I like the fact its all in one place too instead of scouring youtube. Just my 2

5. Member
    I just received low. 7ti. 63 years old. Iv had sonar and fished tournies since 1974. First depth finder was a rope with knot tied every 12 inch's. So ,. I'm have tough time too . My thing is installing transducer. How much of the transducer needs to be in the water. 1\2" do?