Maine Moose LotterySo

So a buddy of mine owns some property 2500 acres in Maine.
    We both live in the south and haven't a clue about Moose hunting.
    He sent me a link to apply for a lottery for a tag.
    Is this a total longshot for an out of state guy to get a tag or is it just a random draw where anyone has about the same chance?

another buddy and I have put in for 6-7 years in Utah for Elk permits and preference points but no luck.

The Maine trip wouldn't be too much money after the tag fee. Rich friend has his own plane to fly up there and a cabin on his property.

Are Moose just big deer? And can you hunt them the same way?
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

2. Member
    I think you put your hands up to your head like antlers and make grunting noises and the moose come right in.

It's a long shot but I saw someone get lucky right away and get a tag, and then a 36" bull.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I quit putting in for Maine Moose after 20 years of no luck.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    I've watched Shockey do it. Pretty simple really. You grunt, moan, and take a boat paddle and wave it slowly back and forth...lol!

Hope you get drawn and are able to go. Sounds like a good opportunity, and you never know, I suspect every year there are those who get drawn on their 1st attempt. Even if you don't get a moose tag, I would get your friend to take you up there and deer hunt. I enjoy watching North Woods Law and it looks like beautiful country. I remember reading the exploits of the Benoits deer hunting the wilderness country in that state. It would be a great trip in my estimation!

6. Member
    I watch Jim shockeys daughter do it. Over and over and over. Maybe its not about the moose at all.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

7. Member
    Maine moose draw is kinda like the lottery, while you will get a bonus point if unsuccessful, you can purchase unlimited chances to increase your odds. I usually spend $100 to 150 a year .Besides tournament entries it's the only gambling I do.

Same chance as everyone else. I believe you need a local as a co-hunter as well? Don't remember exactly how it works. A friend of mine is President of the Maine Trappers Association so if you need any help with it I can give you a number...

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Same chance as everyone else. I believe you need a local as a co-hunter as well? Don't remember exactly how it works. A friend of mine is President of the Maine Trappers Association so if you need any help with it I can give you a number...
    You don't need a local but you must have another hunter listed on your permit and have them with you.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

10. Member
    Our permits work the same way, we actually have permits that require 3 people--a hunter, a co-hunter and a "guide" (can be a guide or just a friend, but that person cannot carry a firearm or take the animal). Not sure if Maine is 1 or 2 people to a tag, but it's a somewhat similar system. I believe Maine has a point system like most lotteries I've seen. Permits are hard to come by but lightning does strike once in a while, so you never know. I was the "guide" on a VT moose tag in 2005, that was back when the population was much higher and hunting was easier--they were trying to lower the population pretty significantly based on biologists rec's, but also the winter ticks have been really hard on the moose across New England, so with lower populations they arent issuing as many tags, so they are harder and harder to come by. I believe VT is only issuing 64 tags for 2017--when we got our tag I think it was almost 500 tags. I imagine Maine has more tags, but similar issues with the ticks.

If you get the right week hunting them is great--you call them in just like you would an elk or a turkey (not with an elk or turkey call wise-guy, you know what I mean), it's super cool to have an 800+lb critter come in breathing fire!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Oscar Cronk was head of the MTA for the longest time. Is he still doing that?

To the OP: No, you don't have the same chance as everyone else. Believe it or not, the state actually set up a web site to answer questions like these:http://www.maine.gov/online/moose/ and there's a wealth of info under FAQ's. This page is pretty good for general info too: https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/licenses_...mitallocations The state sets aside only 10% of the permits for non residents. Your chances depend on how many people apply and how many chances they buy as well as how many chances you buy. The only way to beat the odds is to buy one of the permits in the fundraiser auction.

And permits are allocated by area so you put down your preferred areas in descending order on your application. If you get drawn, they check to see if there are permits left for that area. If not, they move to your 2nd choice, then your third, etc. If your buddy has land in a zone where they only allocate a handful of permits, your chances of hunting on or near his land are really slim.

Moose hunting is not really similar to deer hunting at all and can kinda be a bit of a circus in some areas with hunters bumping into each other. They aren't nearly as wary for starters. Most moose are still shot by people driving the roads in moosey areas. Quite a few are taken by calling and the remaining few are taken like you would a deer at feeding spots or travel lanes that you scout out ahead of time.

Calling is by far the most fun. It's hard to believe that a 1000 pound brute makes a little "eep" like a horny porcupine when he's coming in.
    Last edited by BP in ME; 03-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.