Question **Spalshing The 621 Ranger w/300 Pro Verado Sunday For First Time. Question**

Haven't even fueled the rig up yet. So curious if everyone is running 87, 91 or high octane in their Verados? What if any other fuel additives from the start?

Break in period. From everything I have read and dealer told me was 2 hours break in. Varing Rpms every few minutes and run it under a good load with it trimmed down. Also make a few stops n starts letting motor cool down and taking off again. Also can run it WOT for few minutes at time during break in.

The Verados power varies by the octane you use. More octane, more power. I use 91 for that reason, but you can use any one of them with no problem. Use your ormal fuel additives that you like. I sure some will say to use Dons cocktail. These motor are pretty carbon free unlike a 2 stroke. Base your additives on that.
    Break it in exactly how it says in the book. You have one chance and only one to seat the rings and if you dont, it will "make oil" for the rest of its life. Put a load on it!
    The most important part of the Verado is to remember that it is on. I cant count the times I was fishing and notice I forgot to turn it off. Lots of unknown idle hours. Not kidding. Enjoy!!!!!

3. Member

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    JMHO here- for the first couple hours of Break-In, I would run 87 octane, and run it pretty hard (loaded heavily, trim no higher than "level").

After 2-3 hours, higher octanes can be used to achieve optimum performance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I ended up putting high test No Ethenal fuel in it before I hit the water.. Ran it pretty good for the day with not a lot of tackle but 50 gallons of fuel and 3 BIG boys plus myself in it.. So it was under load no matter what.. lol