Thread: 1 power pole??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 power pole??

I see a few boats with one power pole... most have two. Is it really that bad to only have one? I mean I can pretty much walk all the way around my boat to cast at a target if the wind moves me around a little.

I am just scared to pull the trigger on two... afraid it will kill my hole shot which pretty much doesn't exist now...

Greg

2. Derek McCullough
    Greg,

It will make little to no difference on the hole shot.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    1 is better then none, 2 are Better... Problem with 1 is your bow will still pivot from side to side and you will still have to be on the trolling motor to correct that on windy days. We find most of our customers that buy 1 always call us back and order a second. If you have the $$ go for 2 it will be cheaper then buying 1 and then another.. Hole shot can be affected slightly depending on boat ,motor combo etc ( more noticible on boats below 150 hp, but is easily corrected with either playing around with your vent plugs ( if applicable) or even a pitch change.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    Greg,

It will make little to no difference on the hole shot.
    Hmmm... You haven't been in my boat Derek... :) I think I may just have too much gear in it. In those HS tournaments with three ppl in the boat it plows for a while before the nose ever comes down... In that choppy water on Chick Saturday I was wondering if it was ever going to nose down and go.... You have a little more HP than I do...

Also... I think I am OCD... I over analyze everything... what does that commercial call it ... FOBO... fear of better options....

If money isn't an issue, I would buy 2. I think you will find out that 2 poles are better. If you have a problem with your hole shot and can't get it corrected, then just sell one.

6. Member
    Just ask my ex-wife........she'll tell you 2 poles are better than 1.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCASTER! View Post
    Just ask my ex-wife........she'll tell you 2 poles are better than 1.

8. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    Hmmm... You haven't been in my boat Derek... :) I think I may just have too much gear in it. In those HS tournaments with three ppl in the boat it plows for a while before the nose ever comes down... In that choppy water on Chick Saturday I was wondering if it was ever going to nose down and go.... You have a little more HP than I do...

Also... I think I am OCD... I over analyze everything... what does that commercial call it ... FOBO... fear of better options....
    See, you have no holeshot to begin with so you should be fine. lol

Seriously though I was worried about the same thing, mine is pretty quick out of the hole and I didn't want to mess that up but talked to a board member here with the same boat as mine and he said the difference was almost unnoticeable. If you are struggling as bad as you describe you may need to make some adjustments anyway. I have a 12" jackplate too though, didn't you say your Ranger doesn't have one?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    I see a few boats with one power pole... most have two. Is it really that bad to only have one? I mean I can pretty much walk all the way around my boat to cast at a target if the wind moves me around a little.

I am just scared to pull the trigger on two... afraid it will kill my hole shot which pretty much doesn't exist now...

Greg
    I currently have 1, and have had only 1 for 5 seasons. One is way, way better than none. Worth it for sure. I can't speak first hand to the added benefits of having 2 poles, but I ordered 2 blades so I will be able to let you know at some point here...maybe within 2-3 weeks.

the biggest thing is the pivot. You will spin 180* if you are nose into the wind. Pivot will start almost immediately. You'll pivot based on current if no wind. Even a light wind you'll pivot. I'm hoping to experience a huge difference with the second one, but I'll update when I can experience the difference.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    See, you have no holeshot to begin with so you should be fine. lol

Seriously though I was worried about the same thing, mine is pretty quick out of the hole and I didn't want to mess that up but talked to a board member here with the same boat as mine and he said the difference was almost unnoticeable. If you are struggling as bad as you describe you may need to make some adjustments anyway. I have a 12" jackplate too though, didn't you say your Ranger doesn't have one?
    I just took the cheap way out... Ordered a 6" jackplate and one sportsman ll PP from K&K. Nice guys easy to work with.... and great prices. Both should be in next week... If one sucks that bad I will look at a second one but I am probably going to trade this boat for something bigger this fall anyway.

Greg

I think I'm fixing to purchase a single PP , I can afford 2 of them , I'm just a cheap SOB !
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    I think I'm fixing to purchase a single PP , I can afford 2 of them , I'm just a cheap SOB !
    Happy to quote you when your ready!

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Happy to quote you when your ready!
    Ill give you a call .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

How deep does a 8 ft PP actually go ? Will it anchor out in an actual 8 ft of water ?
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

15. Member
    No. It depends on wind, current, bottom type, etc. I'm on the Potomac so really soft bottom and ~6.5ft of water on a calmer day and it'll hold. If it's rough then shallower. In 6.5ft my pole would go all the way extended.

I've had my pole go like 3/4 of the spike deep into the silt/mud and it pulled up no problem. Reading about people with Talons having to shift their boat or jump on them to get them out of the mud is why I went with the poles again.

i think you generally subtract 2' for PP...so 8' gets you 6', and 10' gets you 8'.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
    No. It depends on wind, current, bottom type, etc. I'm on the Potomac so really soft bottom and ~6.5ft of water on a calmer day and it'll hold. If it's rough then shallower. In 6.5ft my pole would go all the way extended.

I've had my pole go like 3/4 of the spike deep into the silt/mud and it pulled up no problem. Reading about people with Talons having to shift their boat or jump on them to get them out of the mud is why I went with the poles again.

i think you generally subtract 2' for PP...so 8' gets you 6', and 10' gets you 8'.
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    Enjoy :D

18. Member
    Buy one this year buy the other one next year

19. Member
    I got to test the new jack plate with one power pole this morning.

Should have done the plate a long time ago. Like I gained 50hp. Jumps on plane awesome. Way better than before even with the power pole. Super pleased. I over analaized that.

Now I may get the second pole. ��

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast