Question Evinrude prop on a Mercury???

Gentlemen,
    I recently replaced the motor on a VIP, to a late 80's Mercury Black Max 150. On a guess, I put an unvented Quicksilver 23p prop on it.

Boat was slow on the takeoff, but once it got up on plane, she took off. Didn't have my GPS with me, but speedo was hitting 55 mph. The problem is that the tach was only turning 4800 RPM or so. Here is video:

Obvously, I need less pitch, probably a 21p. I looked in my prop pile, and everything Mercury was 23-26p. Then I noticed a 21p SST II prop. It's an Evinrude prop, but could it fit?

I got it on and spaced properly, so it doesn't rub. Splines seem to engage properly, so I'm thinking this might work.

Anyone here ever put an Evinrude prop on a Mercury? How did it work?

Thanks.

-Tony

PS - I found a nice Quicksilver prop, but the pressed-in hub is slipping. Any source for getting this prop re-hubbed in central VA?

You may need a thinner nylock nut to catch the prop shaft threads and it wont have full contact on the prop shaft the length of the hub so it will put added stress on the prop shaft. Some have snapped due to this but lots of people have ran omc on the small shaft mercs like yours

3. Member
    looks like its running great!!!! I am looking for a prop 1999 115 evinrude 19 or 21 maybe a 4 blade 13 spline

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boss of the boys View Post
    looks like its running great!!!! I am looking for a prop 1999 115 evinrude 19 or 21 maybe a 4 blade 13 spline
    It runs well, but it's still not idling very well. Definitely running a bit lean at idle. I have to tap the key for awhile before it will keep going. But once I hit the throttle, she runs great. Will have to pull the carbs again and see if I missed something in the idle circuit. I know OMC and Yamaha carbs inside out, but I only do Merc carbs on rare occasions, so I might have missed something.

I have a bunch of Evinrude props, but I don't think I have any 4-blade in the smaller hub sizes, just in the V6 diameter, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by hirks View Post
    You may need a thinner nylock nut to catch the prop shaft threads and it wont have full contact on the prop shaft the length of the hub so it will put added stress on the prop shaft. Some have snapped due to this but lots of people have ran omc on the small shaft mercs like yours
    I discovered that about the prop nut already. I found one that locked down nicely.

Small shaft? It's the same as the other V6's, not like the I-6 Tower of Power that I had previously, which had a V4 lower. That concerns me a bit. Are the bigger diameter props more likely to break a shaft? With the fit on the spacers I found, it seems to be secured pretty solidly.

Thank you for the warning about breaking the shaft. If all goes right, I'll be testing it again tomorrow, but I'll keep it brief. I'll report back as to how it does.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I always appreciate the helpfulness and knowledge of everyone here.

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by thilltony View Post
    It runs well, but it's still not idling very well. Definitely running a bit lean at idle. I have to tap the key for awhile before it will keep going. But once I hit the throttle, she runs great. Will have to pull the carbs again and see if I missed something in the idle circuit. I know OMC and Yamaha carbs inside out, but I only do Merc carbs on rare occasions, so I might have missed something.

I have a bunch of Evinrude props, but I don't think I have any 4-blade in the smaller hub sizes, just in the V6 diameter, sorry.

I discovered that about the prop nut already. I found one that locked down nicely.

Small shaft? It's the same as the other V6's, not like the I-6 Tower of Power that I had previously, which had a V4 lower. That concerns me a bit. Are the bigger diameter props more likely to break a shaft? With the fit on the spacers I found, it seems to be secured pretty solidly.

Thank you for the warning about breaking the shaft. If all goes right, I'll be testing it again tomorrow, but I'll keep it brief. I'll report back as to how it does.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I always appreciate the helpfulness and knowledge of everyone here.

-Tony
    Should be ok if your not in/out of the water a lot, your not runningbig power so not much stress on it. Small shaft is the older size merc for 2.4-2.5 liter engines, the fat shaft replaced them.