controlling flash output of a SB-800 with a nikon D7200?

I ventured into off camera flash using a SB-800 and soft box. I use manual mode on the speed light and manual mode on the camera. I'm trying to adjust the flash output from the menu on the D7200 but can't figure out how. I go to the command mode and can change each group but the flash doesn't show a change in the flash window. When I set the speed light to remote I don't see the flash output level the flash window. I do see the flash output mode when the flash is set to manual. Is this something that the D7200 can't do? Thanks in advance.

3. Member
    I figured it out. When I use Nikon's CLS to control the off camera flash I'm able to change the flash output from the commander mode menu. Because it's an IR system I didn't always get the flash to fire. Especially when the camera was forward of the soft box. I bought yonguo RF-603 as triggers. With these on the body and flash I am unable to change the flash output from the camera's menu. I have to manually adjust the flash output on the flash. I've read about pocket wizards which can adjust the flash out put from the camera using their zone controller. That is on my want to buy list.