Nitro Z21 What Props have you tried and what has worked the best

As the title says I am looking for information on Props for the Z21 with 250 Pro XS. What props have you tried and what as been your results? I just got my boat and it currently has a 25 Tempt plus on it. I have only run it for about 30 minutes, top end was about 71.9 but I was only seeing 5200 RPM's according to my gauge. So I will of course find a way to make sure my gauge is accurate but really want to see what everyone else has found.

I did a search and have read what I could find but there is not much out there.

Tach is off. I run the 24p Fury up 72. Light I can get 73.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    72 is a good # and from what I've tried the 25 tempest plus gives the best top end on this hull in my opinion. I run a Fury 24 when I'm looking for better mid-range and better holeshot. Had my tempest 25 B&B'd by Mark and had him add a little cup and now I'm running 71-73 loaded with poles 36V etc, same heavy load with the 24 Fury and it falls on its face - 68-69. The B&B on the tempest made it much easier to drive on the top end, I would highly recommend having Mark work yours.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. My worry with the fury would be carrying the weight at speed because I feel like I am not getting enough lift the way it is with the stock 25 tempest. I think I will sent it to mark and see if he can help.

Anyone else?

With 2 people and a full load of gas, my boat was running 70+ at take off this weekend. 3 people and livewells full, had to bring in an extra co angler, saw 66 to 67.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Ohorn
    Just purchased a New 2016 leftover Z21 and it came with a 25 Fury did all of them come with the same prop? Live in central Ohio so I am getting close to run time!

Thanks!

7. Member
    From what I am seeing there is not alot of information on props out there. Looks like most people are running the 24 or 25 Fury or 25 tempest plus. Looks like I will have to experiment to find a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ohorn1 View Post
    Just purchased a New 2016 leftover Z21 and it came with a 25 Fury did all of them come with the same prop? Live in central Ohio so I am getting close to run time!

Thanks!
    Not sure why could be the dealer. Plenty of props have been tested. B&B Tempest is a good choice. 24 or 25 fury work well too. The tempest will do better with a heavier load.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    I have ran 25 tempest plus 25 trophy 2 different A45 25 tempest 24 fury 26 tempest plus 26 trophy plus and best speed has been 72gps with the A45 25 tempest all props ran 68-70 all the time

Best advice I can give you is get a Mercmonitor or one of my the Vessel View options. It will give you a nuts-on accurate RPM reading and the vitally important coolant temp to prevent a cold seizure.

Is this a new rig? If so, a proper break-in MUST be completed before worrying about props. Also, new PROXS motors need some wear-in time before they wake up. Get 25-30 hours on her then play with props.

Finally, check out the Fury4!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    I have a 25p Bravo1XS on mine and I love it. It does hit a wall at about 71 but everywhere else it is Perfect IMHO. You mention being concerned about not being able to get a lot of bow lift. From my experience being in a few Z21s including my own I do not think they are designed to run with the nose stuck way up in the air. My boat does not run nose high when running at 70 and it is very stable I have let go of the wheel to show my buddy (maybe not so smart). Saturday February 18th I had myself (210lbs) my non boater (245) both livewells full and roughly 40-45 gallons of gas and my holeshot was roughly 4-5 seconds and top end was 67.4. I was extremely pleased being that was the first time ive had it loaded to the gills.
    Keith Thomas
    2016 Nitro Z21
    Mercury 250 ProXS

12. Member
    My local BPS has a nice Z21 with a 300 on it. Anyone have this combo?

Quote Originally Posted by plki View Post
    My local BPS has a nice Z21 with a 300 on it. Anyone have this combo?
    I wish, I bet that's an 80mph boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith6628 View Post
    I have a 25p Bravo1XS on mine and I love it. It does hit a wall at about 71 but everywhere else it is Perfect IMHO. You mention being concerned about not being able to get a lot of bow lift. From my experience being in a few Z21s including my own I do not think they are designed to run with the nose stuck way up in the air. My boat does not run nose high when running at 70 and it is very stable I have let go of the wheel to show my buddy (maybe not so smart). Saturday February 18th I had myself (210lbs) my non boater (245) both livewells full and roughly 40-45 gallons of gas and my holeshot was roughly 4-5 seconds and top end was 67.4. I was extremely pleased being that was the first time ive had it loaded to the gills.
    My boat is getting some very good lift, I have never been able to over trim a Nitro, but the nose is up. I guess it depends on what you call high, I feel this is the best lifting Nitro I have had so far. And almost as fast as my 08 Nitro z9, which did not get the lift i expected.
    Last edited by BMCD; 03-10-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Sharp rig with the 3.2 stroker
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edeering03 View Post
    72 is a good # and from what I've tried the 25 tempest plus gives the best top end on this hull in my opinion. I run a Fury 24 when I'm looking for better mid-range and better holeshot. Had my tempest 25 B&B'd by Mark and had him add a little cup and now I'm running 71-73 loaded with poles 36V etc, same heavy load with the 24 Fury and it falls on its face - 68-69. The B&B on the tempest made it much easier to drive on the top end, I would highly recommend having Mark work yours.
    How did the Tempest do before the prop work?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith6628 View Post
    I am looking at a 25.5 Bravo 1XS. What rpm are you turning?

17. Member
    Very nice 3.2 stroker.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5