Thread: Just curious

BBC SPONSOR

Just curious

What's the performance difference when switching to a Honda from mercury? I've always owned Honda vehicles and love the reliability of them. I'm also wondering how the lower gear ratio works with a bass boat? I have a 20 trx triton. Thanks

I'll be getting my first Honda soon. Through the research I've done, the only performance differences is possibly losing a couple mph and that it will always run.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I've seen as much as 5 mph difference to a couple.. Also have read the whole shot is good to its hard to prop for a bass boat bc of the gear ratio. Meaning a slow whole shot.

4. Member

USA

I have 19.5 ft Triton with a 200 Honda on it. I'm not going to win many races, but a 4-stroke is hard to beat, in todays technology.

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    I have 19.5 ft Triton with a 200 Honda on it. I'm not going to win many races, but a 4-stroke is hard to beat, in todays technology.
    I hve run Hondas on 8 different boats and have never had an issue with hole shot!!

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Sorry ment to reply to Bucks post!!

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Sorry ment to reply to Bucks post!!
    That's good to know. I'm just going on what I've read. I personally am a Honda fan. 2 out of 3 of my vehicles are Honda. When I repo were down the road I'm definitely considering going to honda.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I also heard from a dealer with the lower gearing that the prop pitch would go down. Is this what you've guys seen as well?

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Running a 25 pitch on the 250

Turning a 26 p on my 225 and can run low 70s. Hole shot is normal unless I fill the tanks and livewells then it's a little sluggish.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

11. Member
    I now own my second Honda 250, over the past 4 years I have been operating a Honda engine. Before that my last two motors were Mercury's, and yes cylinder 3 on one and cylinder 4 on the other one caused both to blow up. I can count up to 7 mercury motors that are not older than 2013 that have blown up in my fishing circles. So here is the statement I often make, "I may not be the first to the hole, but I promise I'm coming home". Now to be fair, I have a few friends that swear by a mercury. But they also trade boats every 18 months. Hole shots are no big deal, just have to set your boat up the right way and have hydraulic jack plate.