Ash Wednesday - Lent

Matthew 27:45-54 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” 47 And some of the bystanders, hearing it, said, “This man is calling Elijah.” 48 And one of them at once ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine, and put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink. 49 But the others said, “Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.” 50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit. 51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. 54 When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!”

Genesis 3:19 By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”

Job 42:5-6 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; 6 therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.”
    Joel 2:12-13 “Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; 13 and rend your hearts and not your garments.” Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster.

I remember as a child always "giving up" something for Lent and I still hold to that even though the denomination I am now a part of doesn't emphasize it. It is the least I can do as we enter this very somber time of remembering what we as mankind did to the Son of God and what He in turn did for us. There is a lot of good stuff out there regarding Lent but I will add an older link along with a link to one of many Lenton devotionals that can be found.
    Peace to all.

https://blogs.lcms.org/2008/keeping-a-holy-lent-2-2008

http://www.lhm.org/lent/
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. Member
    In ancient times people would rend their garments as a sign of sorrow or mourning. So much so that some wore garments designed to be torn at the neck--and easily repaired for the next time. Be sorrowful in your heart instead. "Blessed are those who mourn..." Mat 5:4--(mourn over their sins.) "...for they shall be comforted." Christ here in the Beatitudes is speaking of Himself. Comfort indeed.-- "Though your sins be like scarlet they shall be as white as snow." Is 1:18

The color for Lent is purple--the color for mourning. The same color is also used for royalty. When God looks at Christians He sees the righteousness of Christ--a royal priesthood.