01 Triton TR 21 EZ-Loader Trailer Problem

Well, i got the boat out of storage and brought her home. On the way i noticed what looked like a light haze of smoke coming from one fender. (Tandem trailer) i got out and looked and the tire was rubbing the fender on the inside!.

As i was less than a 1/4 mile from home i limped her in the garage. Took off the wheels and every one of the wheels had rubbed at one point. All bushings are junk, bolts are oblong,whole suspension needs to be replaced.

I started taking it apart tonight and here's the great part. They have 2 different springs on the damn trailer. A single leaf spring in the rear, and a 3 leaf in the front?! A single leaf, never seen that before, it is the same on both sides. You can see where the yolk in the center pivots on the one side it has slammed into the trailer so many times on both sides the frame is dented.

I had seen that there was a recall on older ezloader trailers, tomorrow I'm going to give them a call and see what they say about it.

I just bought the boat last fall and have 2 fishing trips with it before putting it away so its basically new to me. Has anyone else had issues like this?

Fingers crossed by some miracle they will work with me.

Good luck with them working with you!

Those ez loader trailers had problems from the start that were widely reported. I have a '98 and my boat has never unloaded correctly due to the way the bunks are built in relation to the bow roller. There are a couple ways to fix it and one way is to cut down the roller/winch stand. I quit calling them looking for a replacement. I was either treated rudely when I got a person on the phone, or they never returned voicemails.

My trailer is a single axle and had the mono leaf spring. I replaced it with a spring pack a couple years ago and it was night and day different than before.

You're in a bummer spot, good luck!

3. Member
    I doubt that you going to see any relief on a 16yr. old trailer.

4. Member
    Check your trailer for rust too. It might be time for a serious rebuild, or a new trailer. My trailer is being completely rebuilt right now.
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

5. Member
    When that trailer was made they used single leaf springs that would eventually sag. Sounds like someone replaced one set and not the other. I would go ahead and replace them all at this point.

6. Member
    I am in a similar situation on springs. Older MFI trailer with single leafs that are almost flat. Gonna be a couple hundred to completely replace suspension.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

7. Member
    Someone from EZ-loader actually contacted me after seeing my post. Right now they are willing to work with me on sending out replacement parts. Problem is in Wisconsin we don't title trailers, therfor there is no VIN record on any paperwork. and the VIN tag is so faded its very hard to make out the vin #. I'm now trying to contact triton to run the hull ID to track it back to the dealer, and see if i can get the vin for the trailer from the dealer. WHEW.

either way i was surprised to get a message from a rep from EZ-loader saying give me a call well see what we can do. That was very nice.

Sun shines on a dogs ass every now and again hey!

8. Member
    My boat also sits on a EZ Loader trailer when I got the boat in 2011 I found out about the single leaf spring issue and gave them a call , they had me snap a few pictures and email them. Heard back from them within a few hours and they shipped me out new leaf springs and hardware to install them , had them on the doorstep in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    Good luck with them working with you!

Those ez loader trailers had problems from the start that were widely reported. I have a '98 and my boat has never unloaded correctly due to the way the bunks are built in relation to the bow roller. There are a couple ways to fix it and one way is to cut down the roller/winch stand. I quit calling them looking for a replacement. I was either treated rudely when I got a person on the phone, or they never returned voicemails.

My trailer is a single axle and had the mono leaf spring. I replaced it with a spring pack a couple years ago and it was night and day different than before.

You're in a bummer spot, good luck!
    oops, my bad I was posting in a hurry to get out the door. My triton trailer is an MFI. I have an ez loader under my tin boat , I got confused.

10. Member
    CHeck on the underside of your axles a lot of time the full VIN is stamped there and also on other places.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

11. Member
    Just an update, i snapped some pictures, sent them off, i got all new leaf springs today in the mail and u-bolts. I still need all the other hardware to attach it all but they said all the warrranty would cover was the springs and U bolts. I'm still happy with that!

12. Member
    Well I'll be cow kicked......16 years later and they still covered it. I never thought that would happen.....Good for you!

13. Member
    Parts to match up with this thing are hard to find and when you do the shipping is as much as the parts! I have everything together BUT the U-bolt tie plates broke. The only part of the equation i was going to try and re-use lol go figure. They are a hardened steel almost and one cracked so now i need new ones!

This is getting tedious lol!

14. Member
    If available where you live,- try Northern Tool or Tractor Supply they both have a very good line of trailer replacement parts.
    Rocket

15. Member
    had a 2001, and after about a year there was a recall on that trailer. It was about the springs that were under it. Don't quite remember the details. All I remember is, that it was at no cost to me.

16. Member
    I had one too what I remember was they originally came with a single leaf spring and they were failing. They were replaced but multi leaf springs under warranty. EZ Loader sent me the springs in the mail and I changed them on my 01 TR-21 they sent springs and new hardware. Mine never failed but changed them out anyway before they did.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

17. Member
    Got the suspension done. Now working on fixing the brakes, installing the 4th battery, charger, relocating the oil tank, and putting on my HDS 7's. Then it'll be ready to go!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean41 View Post
    Got the suspension done. Now working on fixing the brakes, installing the 4th battery, charger, relocating the oil tank, and putting on my HDS 7's. Then it'll be ready to go!
    When you get done rearranging the rear compartment could you snap a picture or 2 and post them on here please.

19. Member
    Just got the back done, boat is in getting some odds and ends fixed up on the motor. Once i get it back and i clean it up ill snap some for you no problem!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean41 View Post
    Just got the back done, boat is in getting some odds and ends fixed up on the motor. Once i get it back and i clean it up ill snap some for you no problem!
    Thank you Ill be watching for them