Thread: MOBILE BAY

MOBILE BAY

Question for you Alabama folks. Our club will be fishing Mobile Bay in May. How far up the bay does the tide and brackish water usually go on an average high tide?

Thanks in advance.

All the folks on here and no one can help me out?

3. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    Never been there so I have nothing to add. Sorry......

Quote Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
    Never been there so I have nothing to add. Sorry......
    Appreciate the reply. Bunch of Alabama folks visit the Florida club forum asking for help. Hmmm!

5. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    Appreciate the reply. Bunch of Alabama folks visit the Florida club forum asking for help. Hmmm!
    If you ever get to north Alabama, though, I might be able to help!!

6. Member
    I'd help if I could....you may want to ask on the general forum. I've found that the Alabama board gets little traffic.

Thanks guys.

8. Member
    I have fished there with my brother and we were 20 miles above the I65 bridge and caught redfish and saw crabs. Water also fluctuated with tide. We fished Tensaw, Middle and Mobile rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 275 pro View Post
    I have fished there with my brother and we were 20 miles above the I65 bridge and caught redfish and saw crabs. Water also fluctuated with tide. We fished Tensaw, Middle and Mobile rivers.
    Appreciate the reply. I was going to start just above the 65 bridge. Will need to keep an eye on tide and rain fall. Thanks again.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    Question for you Alabama folks. Our club will be fishing Mobile Bay in May. How far up the bay does the tide and brackish water usually go on an average high tide?

Thanks in advance.
    Depends on rain and weather.
    It can go 20+ miles Catching sharks 40 miles up river.

11. Member
    It fluctuates with the time of year. During the spring we typically get more rain and the salt doesn't come as far north. When are you planning to fish here? If your asking in regards of saltwater doing damage, you definitely want to wash all your gear once you get back home.

285 Stratos PRO XL/ 175 Merc
    2006 Z-71

12. Member
    This was at least 30 yrs ago, but I caught a lot of bass 1 mile south of the I-10 causeway. We were fishing for sheepshead in the eel grass flats on the Eastern shore and caught bass instead. They loved live shrimp. I've caught saltwater fish 5 miles north of the causeway.

Well it depends on were launch and be very careful if it's on the causeway I keep rope in my boat to pull boats off mud bars. in May the middle part of the delta catches on fire topwater can be awesome buzz baits are among favs here but usually starting that time of year the alabama river heats up and is where a lot of the winning strings come from now you may not get a lot of bites up there but the ones you get can be game changers good luck a average string here is prob 8 lbs winning strings that time of year are around 12 to 15
    2023 ranger 198p

Quote Originally Posted by 285_PRO_XL View Post
    It fluctuates with the time of year. During the spring we typically get more rain and the salt doesn't come as far north. When are you planning to fish here? If your asking in regards of saltwater doing damage, you definitely want to wash all your gear once you get back home.
    13 and 14 May. Not to worried about salt damage as I fish a bunch of brackish water just looking at where to start. Thanks

15. Member
    Depending on where you launch will determine if you will really notice the tide. If you launch at Cliffs or Live Oak it will be a 20-30 minute ride to get away from the tidal effect. I would check the middle Delta. Briar, McReynolds, and Bayou Zeast can all be good. Especially for a club tourney.

285 Stratos PRO XL/ 175 Merc
    2006 Z-71

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 285_PRO_XL View Post
    Depending on where you launch will determine if you will really notice the tide. If you launch at Cliffs or Live Oak it will be a 20-30 minute ride to get away from the tidal effect. I would check the middle Delta. Briar, McReynolds, and Bayou Zeast can all be good. Especially for a club tourney.

hey, hey... stay out of Bayou Zeast..It has been closed.