Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Trailer tire balance debacle

So I went to the local tire store to put new tires on the rims....I see them struggling at the balancing machine, he tells me he isn't sure if the machine works on trailer tires.
    He finally brings them to me and there are stick on weights right out to the outside of the rim in plain sight and actually one was on the spoke.
    I am beside myself...they go on to tell me that's the way to balance the tire I say NO I had 3 tires without stick on weights and my neighbor with the same boat has no visible stick on weights.
    I left the tires there and will go up to talk to the manager in the morning.
    What the crap!!!
    Boatless

2. Member
    Sounds like a kid who doesn't know how to do his job. Hope the manager can get you squared away, if not, on to the next shop.

Stick on weights go inside the wheel... Good luck

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Yep--down the road to a shop that knows what to do--that is crazy-I would have come unglued too

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Crazy!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Have them computer spin balanced. Stick on weights are ok, but they go on the backside of the rim. Make sure they clean the area to apply to !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Just had three tires&rims same style as yours balanced after installing TPMS they used regular weights clipped on the lip back of the rim they had no trouble balancing.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

So I talked to the manager, he agreed with me that that's no way to balance tires. He's going to take off the sticky weights and balance them with the clips on the inside of the rim
    Boatless

9. Member
    Hell at least they attempted to balance them. I called all the tire shops here in town to order the Endurance tires and nobody could get them before I need them by mid March so I would ask them "If I can find them online how much would you charge to mount and balance them?" One store responded "We don't normally balance trailer tires but we can if you want, it will be an extra $10 per tire."

10. Member
    Took my 5 new tires to Discount to balance and mount them on the wheel. Got them back and was installing them and noticed one of the 5 wheels didn't have any of the sticky
    weights on it. Damn! I was thinking that it's odd that the other 4 have the sticky weights and this one doesn't! Take it back to Discount Tire and they balance it again and sure enough
    it was off and needed weights. The guy said they probably fell off!! RIGHT!!

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    never heard of anyone putting stick on weights on the outside even clamp on wheel weights should go on the inside, otherwise they damage the rim by taking off the finish and even worse up north they corrode the rim behind the weight.

Had to buy some trailer tires from Walmart due to an emergency and they told me " ahhh you don't need to balance trailer tires" Got them balanced by my local Discount once I was home.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

I didn't have my tires balanced when I had them replaced. Haven't noticed a bit of difference in the way it pulls. To be fair, it's a tandem axle on a boat that really doesn't need it, so that may be part of it.

Glad they got it straightened out, either way. I have no idea how someone could work in a tire shop (or around a vehicle in general) and not know that sticky weights go on the inside of the rim. Wow.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    You will over time get them balanced .

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If one doesn't balance their trailer tires they are asking for trouble for sure. Premature bearing, tire ware at the minimum. Any tire dealer that says "you don't need to balance trailer ties" you need to leave fast.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

16. Banned
    The dumbing of America continues...

17. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I've seen people putting on weights to counterbalance weights they just added. Balancing a tire is a skill and you need an experienced person doing it. I've seen a balance machine show 0.0, the kid hammers the recommended weight on, and takes if off the machine, not checking it again. No checking for out of round or high spots.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

out of round etc, they don't do much but pawn tire off to buyer. years ago when mag wheels1st came out the sticky weight was the thing, always come off sooner or later. I have done wheels & tires when I mechanic'ed for a New Car Dealer.. Only 3 times had a wheel & tire that read 00 No weights needed. my Boat trailers & camper always have wheels balanced with the hammer on weights

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    out of round etc, they don't do much but pawn tire off to buyer. years ago when mag wheels1st came out the sticky weight was the thing, always come off sooner or later. I have done wheels & tires when I mechanic'ed for a New Car Dealer.. Only 3 times had a wheel & tire that read 00 No weights needed. my Boat trailers & camper always have wheels balanced with the hammer on weights
    I put a set of Michelin LTX M/S on my vehicle a couple of years ago and at least one, I'm thinking two but can't remember, didn't need weights.

20. Member
    I had the crimp on tire weights on my trailer tire. It caused the bead to start leaking and gave me a flat. This was on a new tire too. The tire shop ripped it off and no more leak. My buddy, who also has a bassboat, is the manger of the tire shop and he says they are not needed unless it is a problem tire. I can't tell the difference either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast