Need input from experience with a deck extension

I have a 95 Viper and will install a deck extension later this year. I am in the design phase. I will make a box from stainless or aluminum with storage in the box and step. I have a drain just behind the current deck. Should I raise the floor of the box a bit to allow the water to reach the drain?

Thanks for the input.

2. Member

In the process of building a deck extension that opens.

Quote Originally Posted by deakin View Post
    I have a 95 Viper and will install a deck extension later this year. I am in the design phase. I will make a box from stainless or aluminum with storage in the box and step. I have a drain just behind the current deck. Should I raise the floor of the box a bit to allow the water to reach the drain?

Thanks for the input.
    If yours is like mine, we have another drain on the floor back a bit further by the seats and then two smaller ones in both corners. I wouldn't worry about the front drain.

I've often thought about building a box/step there too but me and tape measures don't get along. Any possibility you'd share your plans?

Tom

5. Member
    Tom I am pondering letting a pro do the build. I contacted
    Dawson Mion
    FishOn Fabrications
    770-608-3003
    www.fishonfabrications.com
    and he was spot on with exactly what I needed. He sent a picture of the build in another boat and I could do it but he can do it better. I can send all the measurements and pictures but it will be this fall before it all comes together.

Purchased a boat that needs a lot of work and it is almost fishing season so I'll save up and get it in the fall so that I can re-carpet and install this deck extension at the same time.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    You might contact this outfit. He built the compartment lids and deck inserts for Champion when they were in Mtn Home, and I bet he built them for Cobra as well.

Industrial Mechanical Specialties -- OEM pre-Genmar
    69 Substation Circle
    Midway, AR 72651
    (870) 481-6275

Thanks deakin. I bookmarked that site.

Tom

8. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Tx Champ above has the correct company that originally made the inserts for Viper Boats Inc. A gentleman by the name of Randy used to make them but I don't know if he still does...or if he even still works there for that matter. Might be worth a phone call though.
    Last edited by Backlash Ar; 03-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    He is an uncle to Matt Mosher (MMosher) that hangs out over on the Champion board

10. Member
    Thanks gentlemen I now have a plan and an option.

Tx Champ always has good information, a good resource even though he drives a Champ!
    Regarding the drain, I would make sure you allow for water that may come off the deck and seep inbetween the current deck and the extension to access that drain, there is a reason they put it there. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have the half extension which is open underneath, good place for jackets, net handles to slide under, and stuff in general that you don't want taking up space in closed storage. Picture a box top and that is pretty much my extension. I don't want more storage for me to fill up and weigh the boat down more, I already carry a small bass pro shops, I don't need the temptation to fill anothe space.

12. Member
    For some reason I like things in a boat to be dry. Don't ask me why. I've decided to purchase a 12' Jon boat cut it in half fold it over and make it a tow behind for all my tackle. Not sure what would happen with it at 60mph but I need more room. Thought about a second story but boat would be too top heavy.

My wife believes that a lot less tackle is a better fix. What does she know? :) and if I want her to hear that I'll tell her my own self.
    Last edited by deakin; 03-04-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: second though