On board charger

Bought a ProMariner 1- 2 bank 10 amp charger the other day. 5amp per battery until one is charged then goes to 10 amp on the remaining battery. My question is does anyone have a rough idea how long it will take to charge up my batteries? Trolling battery was almost top off amd cranking wasn't charged since last trip. Been on for about 6 hrs.. Just wondering thanks

2. Member
    No way to tell,depends on the battery size and amount of discharge.

3. Member
    Kinda what I thought. Just trying to get a Guage to go by. Guess I will run them down next time and time it from there. Thanks

4. Member
    I have a 3 bank, 5 amp per bank charger that works the same way. Never timed it, but I plug it in when I get home, and it's done the next morning.

5. Member
    If your 2-bank battery charger charges both batteries at the same rate there would be no problem hooking up both trolling batteries to it, unless they charge at different rates. There are some chargers that will deliver a higher amp charge to the trolling battery(ies) while the starter battery gets the lower charge. For instance, my 25 amp Guest charger will charge my 2 trolling batteries at 10 amps each, while the starter battery bank is charging at 5 amps. The point is, if you're charging one of your trolling batteries at a slower rate, over time the battery being charged at that slower rate will degrade faster than the other battery because of sulfation. It is probably why the charger you have now has an "engine" charging bank.

The best thing to do is to get a 3-bank charger. Most, if not all, of the newer chargers will have all the banks charging equally. If you find that the charger you have equal amp output, then the less expensive route is to use the 2-bank on your trolling batteries, and get another charger for your starter battery.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    No way to tell,depends on the battery size and amount of discharge.
    if your batteries are down 50 amps each, then 100 amps have to be made up. With a 10 amp charger, it would take 10 hours.