difference in East TN lakes?

I moved here to East TN about 2.5 years ago. I call Cherokee my home lake, and Douglas a close second. I probably don't fish them as often as I should, but so far Cherokee has handed my butt to me. I catch a few fish, but I can't really say that I've got the place figured out very well.

This got me to thinking about other East TN lakes. Are most lakes in the area tough to figure out? I imagine Norris would be due to it's deep clear nature. Are Watts Bar, Fort Loudon or Melton Hill known for being as stingy as Cherokee? I'd like to go somewhere for a mental health day just to catch a few fish! Any advice appreciated.
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2. Member
    Best mental health day would probably be on Douglas. Norris is usually tough, Fort Loudon isn't know for great fishing. At times Watts Bar can be good but isn't steady from what I know. Dont know much about Melton Hill. Chickamauga would be another good option if you can swing traveling a couple hours.

3. Member
    They all can be tough but once you figure it out, they can produce. It's probably why many successful pros live in the area. Keep changing the way you think. I am guilty of this and I have lived here forever. Go outside the box and try new stuff (FNF, Damiki). It will hit. Sometimes when I am struggling, go to a lake that is "hot " in the area right now and catch some fish (right now Chickamuaga). To me, the beauty of this area is the abundance of lakes in the area with all providing different structure/cover.

Might want ant to consider either joining a small club, fishing some small tournaments or hooking up with some local fisherman to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

4. Member
    Consider taking a guide on the lake if your choice. Tell him you want to learn to fish that lake...Not just catch a bunch. I guess I'd have that conversation before I actually booked him.

I did that on Chick. Told the guy I wanted to learn how to shaky head fish. Had a great evening outing.It was an evening special that he was ruñning. Did the same thing on a local lake here in TX.

5. Member
    Club idea is a good one....I did this when I moved out from Oregon. Still get it handed to me on any lake but now I have more options so skunks are fewer.

6. Member
    Hey Always! We have a small TN Bass Nation club out of Dandridge and are looking for Members. Check out our Web page , www.luke511bassmasters.com , and drop me a note. We are fishing Chickamauga on Saturday he 4th and you can join us as a guest if you are interested. You can email me at rwpconsult@Hotmail.com.

You know I have thought many times of joining a small club, if nothing else to just get an education on these East TN Lakes. I am currently out of town M-F every week, but hopefully I will have a less travel intensive job soon. I'll have to look some clubs up!

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

8. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    I've been in clubs before, but didn't stay for long. Combine my nature (not very competitive) and a bunch of not very friendly members and it just didn't last. I might think about trying it again though
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

9. Member
    We are looking for co anglers as well. Look us up at luke511bassmasters.com

10. Member
    Smokey Mountain meets the first Tuesday of every month at Academy Sports in Knoxville....7:00. Good club...can either be boater or non. One of Tennessee oldest clubs I've heard. Anyway, good luck to ya.

I'm in the R&R (Railroad) Club...its been around for about 20-25 years I believe...very low key and invite only to join....great bunch of guys...our format is a different lake every other week...I fish all of our lakes...Douglas and Cherokee my 2 favs..Loudon my home lake...They all can be extremely tough at times...crankin on Douglas in the late fall is my favorite time to fish...