Garmin 7SV or 93SV

Looking for new or used Garmin 7SV or 93SV while I recovery from neck surgery. Can't fish for 2 weeks, so might as well upgrade while I have the time. Any advice, opinions on these units is welcome. Thanks

2. Member
    With the Striker series you do not get mapping, GPS with waypoints and tracks but no maps. There is no slot for adding an SD card of any type. It is a great unit if you do not need mapping. The 93sv is also compatible with Panoptix whereas the 7sv is not. You can add Panoptix at a later date to the 93sv so you don't have to come up with all the $$$$ at once. They are both really good units, so it's just what suits your wants and/or pocketbook.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

3. Member
    Thanks for the heads up. The lakes I fish here in West TN are not on the maps, so I won't need the mapping. I do like the 9" screen versus the 7" at 50 years old, but the cost may steer me to the 7" for starters.

4. Member
    Cabelas has 73sv for $449 onsale non chirp model closeout. Enter promo code 17spring for $20 more off at checkout
    you cant beat $429 for that unit!!!

5. Member
    I just purchased the Garmin 73cv from Cabelas for $599. CV is the replacement to the SV. If mounting to TM Garmin recommends CV vs SV.

6. Member
    I just purchased the Garmin 73cv. CV is the replacement to the SV. If mounting to TM Garmin recommends CV vs SV.

7. Member
    I bought a 7sv last spring, and a 93sv last fall.

The 7sv actually seemed to give me slightly better/clearer sideview details (the exact same transducer was in-place for both units). I wanted the 93sv so I could record sonar, and play with it over the winter.

If all you care about is sonar returns, either is a great buy. The 7sv seemed to have a more detailed menu, with a few more options, the 93sv more simplified.

I didn't notice the larger screen on the 93sv when in use. Both were great in bright sun. I generated some 93sv quickview charts, bit don't know if I will continue. My main lake is a flat basin...

8. Member
    Thanks for the insight. I was wondering if the 9" was any better than the 7". Cabelas has the Echomap 7SV for $449, but no chirp, and the transducer is about 8-10" long. I see that being a problem when I hit something with it. And the maps in my area aren't on it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khart View Post
    I just purchased the Garmin 73cv. CV is the replacement to the SV. If mounting to TM Garmin recommends CV vs SV.

Actually the CV is the replacement for the DV. SV is SideVu.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

10. Member
    The 7sv most definitely has CHIRP. You'll get the GT52 transducer with most freshwater sonars.

CV stands for 'clearvu' and is the new designation for Garmin transducers, after the patent dispute.

11. Member
    Your are correct, CV replaces DV. Thanks

12. Member
    By purchasing the unit on sale at Cabelas or BPS which is the 73sv non chirp model what are you not getting with it being non chirp? It seems $$$friendly at the 449 price.

13. Member
    Not as good target separation and will not work with panoptix.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    The 7sv most definitely has CHIRP. You'll get the GT52 transducer with most freshwater sonars.

CV stands for 'clearvu' and is the new designation for Garmin transducers, after the patent dispute.
    Note that all Striker and echoMAP CHIRP sv units now ship with the CV52. Non CHIRP echoMAP sv models ship with CV40 or CV41.
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 03-03-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Garmin Pro Team

15. Member
    Hey Guys,

thanks for for all of the input. Bit the bullet last night and ordered the Garmin 7SV unit from Cabelas at $449.00. After coupons and gift cards, got it for under $400.00, including the $19.95 shipping. Keep in mind, Cabelas will NOT allow you to use 2 Promo Codes on one order. So if you use the promo code to save $20 bucks, they get you for $19.95 on shipping. Or if you use the free shipping promo code, you can't use the promo code to save $20. Just about everybody has FREE shipping nowadays, but in this case, it's one or the other. Again, thanks for the input and advice.

16. Member
    I spoke too soon. Cabelas has issues. Unit was supposed to ship yesterday, it hasn't and they can't tell me why. They are out of stock but have no clue. Buddy of mine ordered his 4 hours before me, and his ordered has been canceled due to no stock. They let him reorder and upgraded the unit at no additional cost. Unbelievable. Looks like it will be Monday before anything happens. My order has been "in process" since Thursday night!!

17. Member
    Finally got my Stiker 7sv from Cabelas last week, and also ordered a Striker 5dv while recovering from surgery. Got cleared by Doc on Friday to fish, but to take it easy(how do you do that). Everything mounted Saturday morning while it was snowing off and on here in west Tennessee. Went to the lake Sunday afternoon after snow melted. Wow, these units are sharp, especially compared to the old Humminbird 581HD black/white unit I removed. Saw things I had never seen before, and saw more detail on stuff That I knew was there. However, as many reviews I read stated, the plugs are very loose on the back of the units. One of mine came loose traveling 20 miles to the lake. I called Garmin on Tuesday morning, and they are sending me two new units. Said the newer units have been redesigned with a tighter fit for the cables on the back. They should be here tomorrow, so we will see. Other than that, I am pleased. If anybody knows where to go to get some tutoring on reading the Garmin 7SV side imaging, please let me know. I tried YouTube but really didn't find anything. I was able to see tons of structure, but didn't see the fish(they were probably on the screen, I just didn't know it!). Thanks for any help offered.