Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much does your tackle weigh in your boat?

I had my boat in the shop for service and just got it back last weekend. So before I put my
    tackle back in I weighed it. Just tackle no rods or misalliance stuff it was 121 pounds.
    40 of it was plastics.I think I'm going to separate everything based on time of year and see if I can cut some
    of the weight in my boat. I always wondered why my boat was slowing down I think I found part of the problem.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

2. Banned
    250-300# everything

Yep, it accumulates quickly and without you noticing easily haha. I weighed my tackle (not counting rods or my Dads tackle) at the end of last season, I was at around 90 lbs I think... about 25lbs of it hit the storage shed... then I added local shop Spring tackle sale stuff, so now I need to do a PRE-season clean out hahaha. I would like to get mine down to about 50lbs
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Less than 10 pounds. I have far more success concentrating on finding fish and fishing confidence baits, than I do packing the kitchen sink and changing baits all day.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I'd hate to know. I'm sure it's 3-4 mph worth. I'm sure we can all agree deep down we carry WAY more crap than we actually need. Just in case. How often is it that we say. . . Man I'm glad I had that box of iridescent tequila moon dust color crankbaits with me.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Less than 10 pounds. I have far more success concentrating on finding fish and fishing confidence baits, than I do packing the kitchen sink and changing baits all day.
    this makes good sense , however i have tried it and always seem to wish I had something with me that was home lol

Added to mine. Bass Mafia boxes are heavy. I never go WOT anyway, so what does it matter if I lose 3mph? I like to cruise around 55-60 and not get too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    this makes good sense , however i have tried it and always seem to wish I had something with me that was home lol
    Yep, and I dont rotate out tackle based on season or where Im fishing... everything I use or might use is on the boat, plus extras. I easily could make do with 10lbs of tackle but it would be a lot more work and I would def want to throw something that wasnt on the boat at some point. When confidence in what you are throwing is paramount, I want choices

Also, it's hard at some places to narrow it down... on my home lake you can go from 3+ ft visibility to <6" just from running a few miles up lake...
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

9. Member
    Not too much for me. I usually do a pre-season and mid-season purge. However, sometimes I gradually add a little back with new baits or colors.

10. Member
    I don't want to know. Way to much but I'm scared to get rid of any of it

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    It happens sometimes. I can recall one instance about 3 years ago. But, I just borrowed a bait from my partner. The other 99.5% of the time, I have all I need.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    It happens sometimes. I can recall one instance about 3 years ago. But, I just borrowed a bait from my partner. The other 99.5% of the time, I have all I need.
    If your like the rest of us big water guys you have 100-200 lbs of safety equipment.......Anchors, Drift socks, Flares(6), 8 different licenses, passports, ship to shore radio, bilge pumps and hoses, bouys, spare prop(that you can't change in 30fow, tool kit, etc etc..

13. Member
    Well, an old Walmart (Kmart maybe?) tv fishing ad from the 70's (yeah, I know) shows
    a wife saying to her husband "don't you have enough fishing lures". He was 'rescued'
    by another shopper who said "you can never have enough fishing lures".
    (or was it fishing equipment? - cannot forget the electronics, rods, trolling motors, etc.)
    I admit that I do not bring everything I have with me in the boat; but, well, there it is...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    If your like the rest of us big water guys you have 100-200 lbs of safety equipment.......Anchors, Drift socks, Flares(6), 8 different licenses, passports, ship to shore radio, bilge pumps and hoses, bouys, spare prop(that you can't change in 30fow, tool kit, etc etc..
    Only on the big pond, which I haven't fished in a couple years.

I'm like jeff, 10 lbs or less. I try to keep it simple and carry what I know I'll actually use.

I gain 5 mph, when I take it out.

17. Member
    I used to keep everything in my boat but for the most part I fish the same waters every year so I put together seasonal tackle boxes that I put in and out of the boat according to the time of year. This along with a peg board in my garage helps me to only pack the items that I feel Ill need on any given trip....................

I am not smart enough to use that much tackle. I use about 6 presentation styles and tackle of various color, size and weight to support those presentations. Maybe 30 lbs total.

19. Member
    Last year. 210 pounds.
    This year. 70ish pounds.

I really spent a ton of time this winter organizing my tackle, developing a modular system of tackle boxes specifically for the different lakes I fish, and eliminating those packs of random soft plastics.

Way more than needs to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast