Banned

Johnson Outdoors / Hummingbird / Minn Kota Customer Service

I got blasted a bit on the Humminbird forum for some comments I've made about their customer service. While others have had good experience, I haven't and maybe 99% of time there are no issues, but when you are the 1%...it sucks. I stand by my initial assessment but wanted to take a minute to explain my position. Over the course of a period of less then a month, I've had several issues that in my opinion could have been avoided. In the past month I've bought 2 HELIX 9s and a Minn Kota Terrova iPilot Link, all in with accessories and cable a bit over $5k, while maybe not alot for some...it's quite a bit for me.

I get "stuff" happens and I generally save my opinion of a company to see how they respond and for the most part Johnson Outdoors customer service has been good, but I've had several issues in a short span that could have easily been prevented. It doesn't make for a good first impression on a new customer.

Issue 1- the HELIX does not display depth at speed. Nowhere in the purchase process are you told if depth at speed is desired a separate transducer and cable adapter is required. I've caught some flack for this but don't advertise depth as a feature without providing the entire story. Some have noted the installation instructions mention this, but it shouldn't be necessary to read installation instructions prior to purchasing?

Issue 2- The HELIX offered a promotion for a free blue tooth remote. I had to pay postage due on mine because Humminbird didn't ship it with the necessary postage. This is time off work for me to goto the post office (I don't work close enough to do it during lunch). When I first contacted Humminbird, I got the standard..."our rebates are processed by an outside organization." More time on my part to get it straightened out. It's annoying.

Issue 3- The Minn Kota Terrova has a promotion for a $75 rebate. I sent everything in as required but get a message that it was denied due to lack of required documents. When I emailed Minn Kota, I got he standard response... "our rebates are processed by an outside organization." Again, more time out of my day to get this corrected. With that said, Keith from Minn Kota eventually contacted me back and he got everything squared away and also offered a complimentary SE Lakes card for the issue with the rebates, the broken trolling motor and the postage issue. Keith was very pleasant to work with.

Issue 4- About the third time I had the Minn Kota Terrova on the lake, it went kinda nuts in auto lock mode. Calm water, no wind and no current, but it started twisting around on itself and before I could stop it I heard a pop and the external transducer cable snapped in two. I had it installed exactly as the instructions require with plenty of slack. As I was removing the transducer I noticed the collar that holds the screw to secure the lift assist strap broke with the lift assist stuck below the steering housing. Still "usable" but not as designed. I contacted Minn Kota via the webpage and get a boiler plate response to call them. Finally got a hold of Jennifer B. (very pleasant to work with). After sending pictures, she requested that I return the trolling motor to Minn Kota. The Terrova is on back order and she said a replacement wouldn't be available to ship to me for about 2-3 weeks. That's fine, this one still works for the most part and she also sends me a replacement transducer.

Fast forward to this weekend and the TM gives up the ghost completely and the lift assist strap pops lose while I was deploying the motor. There is quite a bit of pressure on the strap and it slammed up in my hand hard enough to break the skin with lingering pain a day later, it wasn't pleasant. Anyway, the trolling motor now won't lock into place, the shaft just spins. I contact Jennifer again and told a replacement won't be ready until next week..so with shipping I'm out for 2 weeks on a brand new trolling motor. I understand things get busy, but would think a company like this would keep some number of systems for warranty replacement? Again, annoyed and I'm out of commission for a couple weeks until the replacement gets here.

Anyway, just my experience. Customer service has been good, Keith and Jennifer has been pleasant to work with once I've gotten beyond the initial boiler plate responses, but quite frankly if you want to keep me as a customer, don't make me dig to get a direct response. We'll see how the trolling motor works out. I know this probably comes across as whining or what not, but wanted to clarify some of the stuff from the other posts. So far once I've been able to deal directly with a person the customer service seems to be above average and that's appreciated, it still annoys me I'm having all of these issues in a short period of time.

Picture of broken collar.

Picture of screw lodged in steering housing, this is holding the lift assist strap.

Picture of jacked up lifting strap.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rob0225; 02-27-2017 at 08:31 PM.

2. Member
    Show us the picture of your transducer mounted location.

3. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Even the best mounted thru hull transducers can lose depth reading on plane. Especially if there is a little chop on the water. Hope they get you taken care of.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Even the best mounted thru hull transducers can lose depth reading on plane. Especially if there is a little chop on the water. Hope they get you taken care of.
    Here dosent have a second shoot thru, that's why I asked to see where his transducer is mounted on the transom. More than likely it's above the running surface yet he expects it to give him readings at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Here dosent have a second shoot thru, that's why I asked to see where his transducer is mounted on the transom. More than likely it's above the running surface yet he expects it to give him readings at speed.
    This is very important. Most will read at speed if installed correctly. I have had Humminbird and Lowrance and can get depth reading up to about 60 with a transom mount. After that and even at that reading depth is not something you should be doing at 60.

P01135809

6. Banned
    Attached Images Attached Images

It might be too low. The bottom should be just barely below the bottom of the boat. Maybe 1/8" at most. Sometimes it takes a little experimenting to get rid of the turbulence at speed.

The location looks good but sometimes the brackets are too tall for the perfect location.

P01135809

8. Member
    Looks too low so the transducer is causing turbulence from itself. The bottom half at most should be below the running surface, not the whole thing.

9. Member
    Step 5 #3 and Figure 10. You should be able to loosen the mounting screws and slide the transducer up to where it needs to be.

10. Member
    You should try calling them when you have a problem instead of filling out the contact form on the webpage. In my experience I have gotten excellent service when I have called instead of emailing.
    2018 Lund Pro V Bass XS
    250 Mercury Verado
    Lake Erie

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Step 5 #3 and Figure 10. You should be able to loosen the mounting screws and slide the transducer up to where it needs to be.
    Yeah
    I did this already with no change.

Quote Originally Posted by rob0225 View Post
    Yeah
    I did this already with no change.
    Until you get your transducer flush with the bottom of the boat it will never read at speed.

P01135809

13. Banned
    just email, deb. all of your issues will be taken care of. 1, 2 and 3 are all user issues

deborah.benson@johnsonoutdoors.com

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    just email, deb. all of your issues will be taken care of. 1, 2 and 3 are all user issues

deborah.benson@johnsonoutdoors.com

Are you implying the postage, rebate and the fact that the transducer cannot provide depth at speed (according to their own technical support)is somehow my fault?

Are you implying the postage, rebate and the fact that the transducer cannot provide depth at speed (according to their own technical support)is somehow my fault?
    Not having the transducer installed correctly is and it is too low in your pic. Rebates pretty much suck. You need a scan of everything required and very carefully read the fine print. You could have let them return to sender if paying postage was a problem

P01135809

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Not having the transducer installed correctly is and it is too low in your pic. Rebates pretty much suck. You need a scan of everything required and very carefully read the fine print. You could have let them return to sender if paying postage was a problem

They may suck in your mind, but it was a promotion I was taking advantage of, there never should have been a postage due and if I'd let them return to sender, getting them back would have been more of a headache.

The transducer is installed exactly as the instructions require.

17. Banned
    yes. cs should have corrected the issue for you with a simple phone call. rebates forms are routinely not filled out correctly. any transducer will provide depth at speed if installed correctly. very few of us transom mount the transducer though. most of us use a y cable and a 2d puck in the bilge for high speed 2d. yours appears to be way too low.

18. Member
    I just purchased a Minn Kota Edge and filled out the paper work and sent everything in for the rebate and mine got denied also. So I called Minn Kota talked to a nice lady and actually was their fault because they left out a digit on the model # of the TM that I had. She corrected it and was approved, so I am waiting for my rebate. Sorry you had an issue with them.

The transducer is installed exactly as the instructions require.
    The picture you posted is not according to instructions.

P01135809