Sorry if this been asked before - problem with putting gas in boat

This may have been addressed on here but last week I went to put gas in the boat and I couldn't get any gas in it from it "burping" out. My boat is a '92 BassCat Classic and this has never happened before. The tank was half full. I tried another gas station and turned the nozzel all around with no success. I'm thinking this has to be something simple but I can't figure it out. Could the fuel line or vent line be rotten on the inside of the hose? I gently blew air throught the vent hose, it doesn't seem to be clogged. Thanks for your help!!

Gat to be a blockage or the vent is collapsed if possible need to unhook the vent from the tank side and blow compressed air out

I have a 99 classic and it can be a little difficult to get the tank full. Especially with some EPA required fuel nozzles. At the Shell station that I use, I have to hold the nozzle with the tip barely in the fill tube.

P01135809

4. Member
    Make sure your boat is level- my 2012 phoenix will fight me tooth and nail if the truck is lower or higher then the boat causing it to not be level. As soon as it is level she gulps gas at the pump. I know it has something to do with epa requirements on the fill line over the gas tank. Its not just a hose into a tank.

5. Member
    my boat will always blow out and run over before I can stop it, or before the cut off kicks in, it is aggrevating , I try to listen to it , I pump it in slow, bet no matter what , I spews out .
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darryl1966 View Post
    my boat will always blow out and run over before I can stop it, or before the cut off kicks in, it is aggrevating , I try to listen to it , I pump it in slow, bet no matter what , I spews out .
    Same here!Drives me nuts

7. Member
    My Stratos takes fuel well. The problem is it splashes out the vent when it gets full before it shuts off. The solution, put your ear right next to the vent, just before it is full the sound changes. It stinks, and takes practice but it works.
    You could get a wet ear too.

8. Member
    do a search there is things you can try to do and fix it.

9. mikesxpress
    This will take care of the fueling issue. Ranger's have the same problem as does allot of other rigs. I put these on both my tanks and shared the info with the group. Full tilt filling just like your truck.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=505027

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    This will take care of the fueling issue. Ranger's have the same problem as does allot of other rigs. I put these on both my tanks and shared the info with the group. Full tilt filling just like your truck.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=505027

I'm interested in this. I'm not sure I fully understand how it works. Do you install in place of your filler cap, or put inline with the filler hose?

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

11. Member
    I had this issue, turned out to be a bad fill hose ( had decayed big time) it came out like an accordion. Replacing it got rid of all the gas smell too that I had been encountering for a while. I searched like you and saw lots of things like trying to make sure it sits higher than the truck. Mine would click 50x to put in 6 gallons, real PITA.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    I'm interested in this. I'm not sure I fully understand how it works. Do you install in place of your filler cap, or put inline with the filler hose?
    They go inside the fill lines just ahead of where they attach to the tanks. Easy install. No more puking fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    They go inside the fill lines just ahead of where they attach to the tanks. Easy install. No more puking fuel.
    Hmmmm...... I need one. Thanks for the tip, that is one of my biggest pet peaves!

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

14. Member
    Does the tank still hold the full amount of gallons as advertised?

Reason I ask is it was brought up in another thread about tanks having collapsed liners in them and having to be replaced. Think it might have been a Legend but not sure. Of course they wouldn't be the only ones to install that type of tank either. It'll show up as the gauge showing full without putting in the full amount of gallons. The of course it'll run out fairly quickly. It should be visible by pulling the filler neck in the bilge (if you can get to it).

Just a thought.....
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

15. Member
    i called BassCat (GREAT customer service) and they are sending me something similiar to the Ranger insert. I still don't understand why this just recently happened. I've never had a problem before. I may go ahead and repalce the vent and filler hoses. Thanks for all of the replies. I'll keep y'all posted on what I figure out and if the hose "insert' helps.

16. Member
    I had the same problem for years. So I try to find a gas station that has a down slope so the rear of the boat is higher. Pump slowly, when I first got the boat I could only put 40 gal. in a 55 gal tank. If I do it right I can get 53 gal in it now.

17. Member
    I dont know if its a similar deal or not, and maybe youve tried this before....but on my last boat I had this issue where i either had to barely drizzle the fuel in or it would blurp out and shut off. I found on here that guys had had this issue and to solve it they turned the handle upside down. I was skeptical but it worked and i had no more fueling issues. Again maybe youre talking about something totally different...but might be worth a shot! Good Luck!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by western angler View Post
    I had the same problem for years. So I try to find a gas station that has a down slope so the rear of the boat is higher. Pump slowly, when I first got the boat I could only put 40 gal. in a 55 gal tank. If I do it right I can get 53 gal in it now.
    this is what I had to do with my Skeeter. Had to be nose down slightly. Luckily have a station in town that I could do this.