9.9 year question - Care to take a stab Don?

Looking at a 9.9 kicker. Bass Pro had these two on display and clerk said both were currant and could not explain it.. One has the slot across the back which makes it look weird and the other does not and looks cleaner. Would have to order and don't know which one would come in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Actually that's just a small out board not really a kicker of course it could be used as one. If you want a true kicker look at the pro kicker it has much stronger mounting brackets. To with stand the pounding they take while trimmed up blasting through rough water. But that's up to you.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    Actually that's just a small out board not really a kicker of course it could be used as one. If you want a true kicker look at the pro kicker it has much stronger mounting brackets. To with stand the pounding they take while trimmed up blasting through rough water. But that's up to you.
    For as much as I would use it, I do not need the added expense of a Pro kicker. I have an older 2 cycle 9.9 Merc that does fine as a kicker for the times I use it, except for the fumes that make me gag with my interstitial lung disease. My pounding and blasting thru the rough water days are over with my two ruptured discs I had years ago so don't need the extra strength bracket. Nor the extra 25 pounds of the pro kicker (my back again) as I mount and dismount the kicker as needed. And it also would serve as a portable rental boat motor once or twice a year.. If they made a quiet and smooth running light weight two cylinder 4 cycle in the 5-6 HP range, I probably would think about one of those.

4. Member
    Than that motor would be absolutely fine for your needs. My pro kicker is a 13 according to the serial number.and it has the grove in the back.so more than likely that's the current style. I would definitely look at Suzuki 9.9 outboards they are the only efi 9.9 ont the market.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

5. Member
    I know you said you don't want a pro kicker but.This is a great price on this 9.9 pro kicker. And it's close to you.
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/6014227405.html
    Last edited by born 2 fish; 02-27-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury doesn't use "years"... if you had the Serial Number, I could tell you what it's "DOB" was, though.

This is the later (current) design cowling:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...troke/8-99-hp/

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor