Great Movies - Oscar Worthy

My wife and I were discussing recent movies on the drive home from the lake yesterday since the Oscars were coming on last night. I've only seen a couple of this year's nominated films, so I can't speak for all of them yet.
    We watched Manchester-By-The-Sea and Arrival last week. I thought Arrival was one of the better movies I'd seen of the current crop of films. Well acted, and I like science fiction. Manchester-By-The-Sea was OK, but didn't come close to living up to all the hype IMO. Affleck had a decent performance, as did Lucas Hedges, but I can't say Affleck's performance was worthy of an Oscar. Especially, compared to the others on the list. I'll have to see the others first I guess. From the clips I've seen of La-La Land Ryan Gosling really did a great job as lead. I'm not much on musicals (wife loves them), but I may have to (try) to watch that one.
    Lion and Moonlight look like they'll be excellent films. I'll definitely catch those.
    I don't watch the Oscars much anymore, although Jimmy Kimmel is one funny guy. I have to catch at least some of his dialogue.
    I come away every year wondering exactly how the Academy pick some of the films and actors that get nominate. And ultimately win.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Banned
    Actors get paid well,they don't need awards !

3. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    The Academy awards are about Marketing and self praise for Hollywood.
    La La land might put you in La la land if you are expecting something really grand, which its not. But it's about Them. The entertainment Industry so it qualifies as worthy on that merit.
    Studios Lobby for their films to receive awards. Awards mean ticket sales.
    Show Business is after all a Business, first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    The Academy awards are about Marketing and self praise for Hollywood.
    La La land might put you in La la land if you are expecting something really grand, which its not. But it's about Them. The entertainment Industry so it qualifies as worthy on that merit.
    Studios Lobby for their films to receive awards. Awards mean ticket sales.
    Show Business is after all a Business, first and foremost.
    Most awards from businesses etc are the exact same way.

We watched for about two hours last night and I have to admit, I only recognized a couple movies that were nominated. Don't go to the theater to watch movies, so I guess I'm a little out of touch.

We watched this movie a couple of week and I enjoyed it...

http://bleedforthisfilm.com/