3 Bank Charger Install Question

Space is a little limited, so I am trying to figure out the best place to mount the on board charger.

My question is, is there any problem with mounting it right on top on my two trolling motor batteries? My batteries have the aluminum battery trey around them. My thought is to use the bolts on it that I can, and drill new holes in the aluminum trey for the rest of the mounting points.

Just wondering if being right on top of the batteries would cause any problems??

Thanks guys!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don't like the idea since you need regular access to your batteries to check electrolyte levels and you open up the possibility of something shorting batteries if it comes loose in rough water.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Westtn,Catfan makes a good point. Today's chargers can be mounted in any position,verticle,horizontal or upside down. Can you mount it on the rear compartment lid?

4. Member
    I made these two brackets out of 1 1/2 aluminum angle. Not sure if you have clearance to do this on your boat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 Basstracker Pro-Team 185xt
    90 HP Tracker by Mercury
    MinnKota Ulltrex 80/45
    HB 858 DI @ Bow
    HB 998 SI @ Console

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I don't like the idea since you need regular access to your batteries to check electrolyte levels and you open up the possibility of something shorting batteries if it comes loose in rough water.
    THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I just installed all new Group 31 batteries in a 200XL and put a NOCO 4 bank in the pax compartment behind the seat. Didn't take up much more room than a plano. Co fit all his stuff in there fine for a tournament. Placed two inch Velcro on it and it doesn't move and no holes to drill except for where the wires come out.

I installed my Minn Kota on its side due to the tight fit. I used industrial velcro to attach it to the wall to avaid drilling holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    1991 17 ft Ragin Cajun
    150 Evinrude Intruder