Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ClearVu transducer specs

I have a friend that asked me questions about specs on the 93SV and the transducer choices, website states that it comes with ClearVu or GT52. Where can I find the specs, cone angles etc to compare the two?
    He is ready to order but wants to get clarification first...

3. Member
    Maybe I am just confused. When you look at the 93SV on the Garmin site https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/52...n/010-01804-01 at which transducer is included it list ClearVu or GT52....or is the ClearVu and GT 52 the same???? I can't find anything in the transducer section that is listed as a "ClearVu" transducer, everything has a number? Most of the transducers have ClearVu in their description

4. Member
    It depends on the inventory of the seller. The first CHIRP 93sv shipped with GT52. The ones under current production and inventory will have the CV52. The only thing I've seen published on the difference is that the CV52 DownVu is wider.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    It depends on the inventory of the seller. The first CHIRP 93sv shipped with GT52. The ones under current production and inventory will have the CV52. The only thing I've seen published on the difference is that the CV52 DownVu is wider.
    So if ordering the unit and you had a choice, is the GT 52 what was shipped with unit pre law suit days? I think that is what I had on my 93SV before I sold and moved up the the 7610. And then did the narrow band on the GT 52 give a little better image on down view because of the narrower band? If I recall it was going from 1 degreee to 2 degrees?

6. Member
    If I had a choice, I would pick the GT52. Here's why. When people get so caught up in the improved detail of down imaging (HB) , Downscan (Low), and DownVu-now ClearVu it is because of that very narrow front to back degree angle. It varies by brand and transducer from 0.8 to 2.0 degrees. Neglected from that consideration is the width of that same cone which may vary from 30 degrees to better than 50 degrees. It is that measurement that defines the dead area, next to the bottom, that you cannot see because it is blacked out as the bottom. Where I fish, most of the time the wind controls the orientation of the boat and generally that means the boat is oriented parallel to the bank. That is the worst performance of all the so called down sonar implementations as far as seeing close to the bottom is concerned. So for me, a narrower width is preferred. On flat terrain, a wider come may be preferred by some to get the additional coverage. To use down sonar most effectively and to get the smallest dead space means to orient the boat as pointed directly at the bank or directly away from it. Also notice that the dead area limitation caused by the incline on the starboard side also extends over to the port side as well. In the example sketch, notice that the actual bottom is 100 ft deep. I should have had Larry do the sketch. He does a much better job and probably has one already made.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    If I had a choice, I would pick the GT52. Here's why. When people get so caught up in the improved detail of down imaging (HB) , Downscan (Low), and DownVu-now ClearVu it is because of that very narrow front to back degree angle. It varies by brand and transducer from 0.8 to 2.0 degrees. Neglected from that consideration is the width of that same cone which may vary from 30 degrees to better than 50 degrees. It is that measurement that defines the dead area, next to the bottom, that you cannot see because it is blacked out as the bottom. Where I fish, most of the time the wind controls the orientation of the boat and generally that means the boat is oriented parallel to the bank. That is the worst performance of all the so called down sonar implementations as far as seeing close to the bottom is concerned. So for me, a narrower width is preferred. On flat terrain, a wider come may be preferred by some to get the additional coverage. To use down sonar most effectively and to get the smallest dead space means to orient the boat as pointed directly at the bank or directly away from it. Also notice that the dead area limitation caused by the incline on the starboard side also extends over to the port side as well. In the example sketch, notice that the actual bottom is 100 ft deep. I should have had Larry do the sketch. He does a much better job and probably has one already made.
    Totally agree, thanks for clarification.

I ordered my 93SV's from directly Garmin two weeks ago. The GT52 was not available.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Hi All,

My first post here. I did a search but didn't find anything but my apologies if this has been covered...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new sonar, probably a Garmin and came across the following link. Can anyone tell me if the GT52 transducer is the same as the ClearVu or different? I have heard that the GT series of transducers have a dedicated doun vu element but want to confirm that.

http://www.lowrance.com/true-downscan

Thanks,
    John

10. Member
    So it sounds like find and older unit still on the shelf to get the GT52. Smaller outlets that do not move stock as fast may still have the GT52, if that's the better transducer??

Quote Originally Posted by jvitiel View Post
    Hi All,

My first post here. I did a search but didn't find anything but my apologies if this has been covered...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new sonar, probably a Garmin and came across the following link. Can anyone tell me if the GT52 transducer is the same as the ClearVu or different? I have heard that the GT series of transducers have a dedicated doun vu element but want to confirm that.

http://www.lowrance.com/true-downscan

Thanks,
    John
    Yes, the GT transducers do have a dedicated center element. Info in the link you provided applies to only the CV transducers bundled with certain units.
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 03-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Todd - the question has been asked if the current software will take advantage of the dedicated down elements in the GT series or do the use the same processing thats done with the CV transducers?

In other words, is the GT transducers performance being crippled or degraded by the CV software?
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Todd - the question has been asked if the current software will take advantage of the dedicated down elements in the GT series or do the use the same processing thats done with the CV transducers?

In other words, is the GT transducers performance being crippled or degraded by the CV software?
    No, GT performance is not hindered in any way. With a GT transducer, the software fully utilizes all of the elements in that design.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    No, GT performance is not hindered in any way. With a GT transducer, the software fully utilizes all of the elements in that design.
    That makes me feel better.... Reading some of these threads had me feeling kinda sick... I put much thought into what Brand I put on my boat I bought last year and i started with a clean slate. With the investment I have into electronics alone, I think I would have puked if the updates screwed with the down element. Would have lost all, or most, faith in Garmin. I still love the 7600 series units, the touch screen, gps, traditional and mapping are all great! I just struggle to mark trees/wood/brush. So if you have any tips on that, I'm all ears!
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

15. Member
    I would appreciate an OFFICIAL Garmin response, stating that my 2016 93sv with older GT52HW, but using the latest updated software, is STILL USING THE DOWNVU ELEMENT, and will into the future.

Failing that, I will consider moving to a grumble, grumble competitor's 12" unit...

16. Member
    I could see Garmin or any company really going to a reduced performance Downscan on the echomaps in order to keep costs down. Then they can hook you with an upgraded transducer later. Also why buy a more expensive gpsmap series if the echomap does it just as well.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    I would appreciate an OFFICIAL Garmin response, stating that my 2016 93sv with older GT52HW, but using the latest updated software, is STILL USING THE DOWNVU ELEMENT, and will into the future.

Failing that, I will consider moving to a grumble, grumble competitor's 12" unit...
    why would they cut off the down element? the court case has to do with selling packaged transducers with a down element that infringes on navicos patent. it has never had anything to do with any GT transducer that is not packaged with a unit.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    why would they cut off the down element? the court case has to do with selling packaged transducers with a down element that infringes on navicos patent. it has never had anything to do with any GT transducer that is not packaged with a unit.
    It was a perfectly legitimate question Troy. How could anyone but a patent lawyer know if what you say is true or not? For all we know, the law suit prevented Garmin from using the technology on any down elements.
    Plus, how can we trust what Garmin says about this in any way? They have obviously been lying about the CV transducers from day one.

I still trust Todd, but even that is getting severely strained right now. I dont trust Garmin at all.

19. Banned
    Dude it's public information. Do a google search if you want to read the fine print for yourself. The lawsuit never had anything to do with units or transducers sold separately. Only transducers packaged with a unit. I never saw anything where they lied about clear vu transducers. Do you have an official garmin source that list them as having a down element?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Dude it's public information. Do a google search if you want to read the fine print for yourself. The lawsuit never had anything to do with units or transducers sold separately. Only transducers packaged with a unit. I never saw anything where they lied about clear vu transducers. Do you have an official garmin source that list them as having a down element?
    No, Troy, no one came right out and said that they STILL had a down element. They also didnt say they STILL had sideview elements or any other elements.

Here is what WAS said in various places.

From Todd - with no mention of a removed element. The clear implication that nothing significant had changed. That last sentence sure sounds like it was just a marketing change for advertising purposes.

What happened to DownVü? Does ClearVü/CV replace it?

ClearVü is the new name for the fishfinder presentation that was previously called DownVü, and CV refers to the new transducer design offered by Garmin. ClearVü technology replaces DownVü and though the technologies are similar, when paired with a CV transducer, ClearVü will provide a wider image than DownVü.
    I have an existing product with DownVü. Do I have ClearVü now too?

The functionality provided by your Garmin transducer will not change. ClearVü will replace the DownVü feature on existing products after a software update is installed.

Does ClearVü offer the same functionality that DownVü offered? Is it better?

For combo units that include a transducer in the box, ClearVü transducers offer a wider view of what’s under the boat. This wider view will provide more detail of fish and structure beneath the water, but is more limited in depth performance.

I’m a current customer, why did my DownVü change to ClearVü?

With so many scanning sonar technologies available in the market today, this change is being made in an effort to further differentiate Garmin technology from our competitors.
    Then there was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    You're probably right about that but I doubt Garmin will comment on that aspect.

Id really like to know more about the tech details and answers to my questions above in post #32
    I asked Garmin the following:
    Are the frequencies unchanged in the new ClearVü transducer? (From the GT52HW)

Is there any performance difference expected between the two transducers?
    Their response:

Quote Originally Posted by Garmin Support
    Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist you.

Everything is the same just a name change.
    At this point I think I'll wait a few weeks and see if anyone gets any time with a ClearVü transducer before making a decision between the two.
    Those are just from ONE thread on this board.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ighlight=wider

There are other threads on THT, etc where similar things were posted.

Want to try again Troy?
    Last edited by Larry3215; 03-25-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast