Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Bit of a noob here, but I want to make sure I understand this correctly

I just picked up a EchoMap CHIRP 73sv for $650, it came with the GT52HW-TM.
    That would be the one that has the side AND down crystals - right?

Did the update to 3.80 before the install so I am really hoping that the down image is functioning at its best as I will have no reference point.

Thanks

2. Banned
    The GT52 has the down crystal. Your good.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    i thought i heard somewhere that hds gen 1's and 2's showed fish on 2d that werent really there, in an effort to appear lowrance was superior.

I dont know if it was proven, but my gen2 definitely shows way more fish arches than other brands have.
    It's all about the size of the cone and nothing about the inferiority/superiority of any unit. I have used some of the cheapest units on the market and also some of the most expensive. I would go so far as to say that 200/83 DualBeam Humminbird is practically the same on every unit that uses this identical transducer. Same thing goes for 200/83 Lowrance. An 83 kHz Lowrance will show you more fish than practically any other transducer except Panoptix. The problem with it is that the cone is so wide you have absolutely no idea where these fish are. Where they show on the screen is not where they are, only that distance from the transducer in any direction you choose. One fish 20 ft in front of you and another fish 20 feet behind you will look like they are touching each other. I have one of these on my boat and when I have my son-in-law with me I can see him jigging on the Panoptix directly under they boat for a fish he thinks is near his lure when in fact I can see that fish isn't close enough to know his lure exists. That is also why people suspect that these units lie because they can't catch fish they are seeing not realizing there is a reason. When you are comparing the 20 degree and 60 degree cones of Humminbird, Garmin and Lowrance you will find that Hbirds is the tighest cone, then Garmin, with Lowrance the widest. That by itself doesn't make one better than another, just different. It depends on how, where and how deep you are fishing as to which may serve you better.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Banned
    sounds legit

5. Member
    I just had the 94SV installed and was told it came with the GT51M. Just looked at the label on the cable and it says CV51M. Does this one have the Down view element? I see that is has the same part number as the GT51M on the Garmin website. It is grey in color. Thanks.

6. Member
    No. Your transducer has no down element.

If your installer/dealer told you that, they may have been misinformed by Garmin and thought they were telling you the truth. Still, they didnt give you what they said they would, so they and Garmin are on the hook for fixing it.

I would call both and raise heck.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

7. Member
    Just returned my new cv to the vendor when asked if the was anything wrong with the unit I said yes "no Di". I picked up two HB Helix 7 and 10.

Garmin better count on their fitbits to make money.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    This would be fairly easy to test ...

Stick cork to the face of the xducer ... over the piezo(s) wanting to test ...

Rickie
    Has anyone tried this?
    2004 Stratos 201 Pro Xl
    250 HPDI Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by khart View Post
    Just returned my new cv to the vendor when asked if the was anything wrong with the unit I said yes "no Di". I picked up two HB Helix 7 and 10.

Garmin better count on their fitbits to make money.
    So you sold your Garmin unit because it didn't have dedicated DI crystal to purchase HB Helix with No DI Crystal....????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123