Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Now that I think back on it, I bet I could find a whole bunch of other posts, on this board and others, where people said they had talked to support and been assured there was no difference between the GT52/CV52 other than the name.

You should really stop trying to make excuses for this Troy. You're just going to piss people off even more.

This is the time for sincere apologies and offers to make it right - not making excuses or trying to make it less than it is.

In the other thread I suggested this:

What they should have done is offer the CV transducers in the bundles to satisfy the court order BUT made it perfectly clear these were downgraded transducers.

Then they could have offered a free "trade in" or "up-grade" to the GT versions. That would have pissed off Lowrance even more AND kept the faith with their customers. Problem solved and no bad press and reputation saved from ruin.
    Im willing to bet my posts alone, on the 6 or 7 boards I hang out on, have easily resulted in dozens of people buying Garmin sonar and/or Panoptix transducers that would other wise have gone a different route. I have been pushing Garmin and Panoptix to new buyers HARD for the last year.

Not any more. From here on out, no more free "positive" advertising from me until Im sure they have their act together.

You are in sales, so Im sure you remember that old saying - "Evey happy customer tells two other people. Every UN-happy customer tells 10 other people."
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

2. Member
    Here's the bottom line for me, a BIG advocate for Garmin for the last 8 months. If I decide to buy a 12" unit, it'll be the HB solix mega. I don't like the goofy names for the features. But the equipment will give me what I want.

If that happens, I'll miss the great contributors to this forum. You guys are the most well-informed, polite, and great educators of any fishing forum I've found.
    Last edited by skid00skid00; 03-30-2017 at 11:13 AM.

3. Member
    Larry, as you stated I was in the market for new electronics so off of what was stated/posted here I purchased a new Garmin 73cv for my TM my next purchase was to be a garmin 93sv for the console, not now. I plan to contact Garmin to see if they will trade out this cv transducer and if not I will purchase HB Helix 10 Mega for my console.

Yes and sell my new Garmin 73cv to replace with HB as well.

We'll see how Garmin steps up to the plate to either make it right or leave the custumers hanging. This could be a deal breaker for them?

4. Member
    If they dont handle this the right way, they will be off down the road that almost sunk Lowrance a few years ago. Lowrance is still hurting badly from that screw up.

Every single "What sonar should I buy?" thread that has popped up an any board I hang out on in the last several years has had multiple people jump in bashing Lowrance customer support and quality control. Every single one.

Garmin is heading in the same direction.

This is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    If they dont handle this the right way, they will be off down the road that almost sunk Lowrance a few years ago. Lowrance is still hurting badly from that screw up.

Every single "What sonar should I buy?" thread that has popped up an any board I hang out on in the last several years has had multiple people jump in bashing Lowrance customer support and quality control. Every single one.

Garmin is heading in the same direction.

This is bad.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what screw up did Lowrance have a few years ago?

6. Member
    It wasnt any single thing. They had multiple QC issues with screens and several other things going bad or not working correctly - all of them common problems that were frequently reported on websites like this one.

Customer "support" wast actually supporting customers - they were into denying there was any problem at all and refusing to fix things under warranty.

Garmin isnt that bad.....yet. But Lying about this transducer issue and refusing to fix customer support problems, and leaving major major web page errors in place for months and months, is a good (actually bad) start down that road.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what screw up did Lowrance have a few years ago?
    Original HDS units had water intrusion problems. I don't think Lowrance ever admitted it was more than an isolated event. The Lowrance boards were full of reports of this and dissatisfied buyers, both with the product and subsequent customer service. Also there was a screen dimming problem. The screen would start dimming just like you were repeatedly manually dimming it until it went near completely dark. To my knowledge they never admitted this was a problem and at least in my case refused to honor the warranty for this problem. I had 2 units, an 8 and 10, that both did it; and still do. Yes I still hold a grudge on this and it is my opinion that if they came out with the newest, latest, greatest that I thought I had to have, purchased a unit, purchased the extended warranty, that they would stiff me again. Of course, I'm not going to give them another opportunity. Not trying to bash them, just telling it like it was.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Banned
    i thought i heard somewhere that hds gen 1's and 2's showed fish on 2d that werent really there, in an effort to appear lowrance was superior.

I dont know if it was proven, but my gen2 definitely shows way more fish arches than other brands have.

I had the HDS 5 that got full of water, and lost about 100 waypoints I had entered the day before. Don't recall now whether they replaced it or not. When I took it apart, I literally poured water out of it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    I would appreciate an OFFICIAL Garmin response, stating that my 2016 93sv with older GT52HW, but using the latest updated software, is STILL USING THE DOWNVU ELEMENT, and will into the future..
    This would be fairly easy to test ...

Stick cork to the face of the xducer ... over the piezo(s) wanting to test ...

Rickie

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    This would be fairly easy to test ...

Stick cork to the face of the xducer ... over the piezo(s) wanting to test ...

Rickie

How exactly would you do that Rickie? Do you need to glue on small thin strips or bottle corks or? Can you see the cork vibrating?

12. Member
    How exactly would you do that Rickie? Do you need to glue on small thin strips or bottle corks or? Can you see the cork vibrating?
    Any type of cooking material (think Pushpin tack board type cork) ... It will absorb the sound emitting from that area of the xducer housing ...

Glue, silicone, bubblegum, Vaseline, duct tape ... It doesn't need to stick but just long enough to test ...

A thin strip down the middle of the housing ... (The SideVu piezoes are going to be pointing approximately 60° to each side) ...

If the DownVu image is completely black = the corking blocked a true DownVu piezo ...

("Black" in a sonar displayed image means = no echo return to process) ...
    -----

Or conversely cover the SideVu piezoes with cork ...

If the DownVu image is completely black = the corking blocked the blended computer generated DI data from the SideVu piezoes ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 03-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.

13. Banned
    Now that I think back on it, I bet I could find a whole bunch of other posts, on this board and others, where people said they had talked to support and been assured there was no difference between the GT52/CV52 other than the name.

You should really stop trying to make excuses for this Troy. You're just going to piss people off even more.

This is the time for sincere apologies and offers to make it right - not making excuses or trying to make it less than it is.

In the other thread I suggested this:

Im willing to bet my posts alone, on the 6 or 7 boards I hang out on, have easily resulted in dozens of people buying Garmin sonar and/or Panoptix transducers that would other wise have gone a different route. I have been pushing Garmin and Panoptix to new buyers HARD for the last year.

Not any more. From here on out, no more free "positive" advertising from me until Im sure they have their act together.

You are in sales, so Im sure you remember that old saying - "Evey happy customer tells two other people. Every UN-happy customer tells 10 other people."
    im not making excuses for anything. im not trying to justify anything. they should have come out and published the info and been truthful about it. what they did is not false advertising though. they never published anything stating the clearvu transducer had a down element. i dont have a dog in the fight. my gt transducers are not affected and never will be. i wont have them much longer anyways as im re-outfitting my boat

14. Member
    Ah, I misunderstood. Your testing in the water. Excellent tip - thanks!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    im not making excuses for anything. im not trying to justify anything. they should have come out and published the info and been truthful about it. what they did is not false advertising though. they never published anything stating the clearvu transducer had a down element. i dont have a dog in the fight. my gt transducers are not affected and never will be. i wont have them much longer anyways as im re-outfitting my boat
    Not exactly true in my case....I specifically bought a downvu model, not clearvu. The box says downvu. I dont want a clearvu product if it is fact inferior.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    The false advertising comes in when they tell customers that there was NO DIFFERENCE between the GT and CV transducers other than a name change. Removing the down element isnt "no difference" and isnt "just a name change".

17. Banned
    This info on the 3.80 update makes me think that if your unit has an older software version then it has an older transducer that has the DV element.

"
    Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:

• Added support for new ClearVü transducers."

18. Banned
    The false advertising comes in when they tell customers that there was NO DIFFERENCE between the GT and CV transducers other than a name change. Removing the down element isnt "no difference" and isnt "just a name change".
    please post a link to where garmin ever posted this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    This info on the 3.80 update makes me think that if your unit has an older software version then it has an older transducer that has the DV element.

"
    Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:

• Added support for new ClearVü transducers."
    you guys are reaching. that simply means they added support for the new transducers. the gt transducers have never been included in this court case. only transducers that are packaged with a unit

19. Banned
    Im not trying to nitpick this to death, but I would like more info. I bought a complete unit w/transducer, but with pre-3.80 software. So how could it have a newer clearvu transducer if the software wasnt installed on it to use it? thats what im getting at.

Pre-3.80 didnt have support for a newer clearvu trans, so therefore, despite what Garmin's website now says, the trans had to have had a dedicated down element.

But then to add to confusion more, my 010-01960-00 is listed on some retailers sites as being downvu (not clearvu) but then what is this:
    GT20-TM Transom Mount 4 Pin Traditional and CHIRP ClearVu Transducer

Beam Traditional 45/15 Degrees
    DownVu 2.5x53

What is 2.5x53? 2 elements for a coverage of 53 degrees?
    Last edited by Schins; 03-27-2017 at 10:01 AM.

20. Member
    Ah, I misunderstood. Your testing in the water. Excellent tip - thanks!
    Yes ... Testing in the water is the only way to verify 100% if a piezo is transmitting (some units automatically shut off pinging when it can't find bottom) ...

Rickie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast