New motor on 97 cobra 201D set up jack plate prop question

Swapping motors on my 97 cobra 201D. Had a 99 225 Johnson, 6" rite hite jackplate, raker prop. Never was happy with the performance with the Johnson. Great holeshot, but just didn't get the top end. So, I just purchased a Mercury 250 XB to put on the back. I don't think I want to stay with the 6" jack plate. I know I need a bigger one. I had a Dealer from Lake of the Ozarks that originally sold Viper Cobras for a while. He was telling me that whatever I do, do not put a 10" on it. Said Cobra told all of the dealers that the 10" would tear up the transom. 12" was fine, but something about a vibration from the 10". I have searched, but never found any other info to back up what he said, and many cobras are running 10" jack plates. I also need to know what prop I should be running with the cobra with a 250 XB. It came with a worked 26 Tempest, but I see a lot of the guys are running trophys. Basically, any info that would save me time and money spent from you guys who have already been down this path will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Personally, that makes zero sense. Granted, I'm not boat manufacturer but common sense will tell you 12" will put more leverage and stress on a transom than 10". I think you're hearing a tale of the white ghost. What I mean is you're getting a myth, ghost story, legend. I've been running a 10" plate for over 8 years as have others, put it on and go and don't listen to that guy. That sounds like a story if I've ever heard one. Sorry, I can't help with prop setup.

3. Member
    That Tempest will likely be fine, depending on what was done to it. Apparently the 26's are known to not be good out of the box. I have a Tempest and a Trophy. I like the way the boat handles with the Trophy, so that's my primary prop. Mine is actually faster with the Trophy, but my Tempest isn't in perfect shape either. Thinking about having my Tempest worked, just having a hard time justifying spending the money to gain maybe 2 or 3 mph.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    That Tempest will likely be fine, depending on what was done to it. Apparently the 26's are known to not be good out of the box. I have a Tempest and a Trophy. I like the way the boat handles with the Trophy, so that's my primary prop. Mine is actually faster with the Trophy, but my Tempest isn't in perfect shape either. Thinking about having my Tempest worked, just having a hard time justifying spending the money to gain maybe 2 or 3 mph.
    Personally have always preferred running a 4 blade prop compared to a 3. Have always ran Omc, so had a renegade, over a Raker. I have a raker that was worked but hated it. This will be my first Merc. You think I should look for 27 trophy? I know most of the 200 hp are running 25 trophys. I would think the 250 XB would turn a 27.

5. Member
    Run that 26 Tempest first, and that should tell you what pitch Trophy to get based on how many RPM the Tempest will turn. The Trophy should run about 200 RPM less than a Tempest of the same pitch. That's been my experience anyway.

6. Member
    The tempest ran fastest on my dad's 201. Hit 72 with it by myself which tourney gear and 3/4 tank. That was with a 225 and 25 tempest. He turns a 26 trophy low on rpms, but it flies on holeshot. Every boat will vary a bit. Just gotta find that sweet spot for yours.

7. Member
    Ill run the 26 Tempest when I get the motor swap complete. Ill post numbers when I get that complete. Thanks.

I don't know about the 10" extension actually tearing up the transom, but a former owner on the board tried all lengths of jack plates and told me the 12" hit the sweet spot for the water flow coming under the water back up to the motor, said he could run motor something like 2.25" or so below pad, helped holeshot and was able to finally lift the bow properly at WOT. Told me the boat handled and performed much better with a 12".

9. Member
    I run a 10" no problem. 2011 pro xs 200hp on 99 190dc

Quote Originally Posted by hotchops777 View Post
    I run a 10" no problem. 2011 pro xs 200hp on 99 190dc
    Probably the correct length jack plate on a 190, the 201 is different, with most of the difference being a longer front deck and more boat to try to leverage out of the water. I have a 8" jp, and would like to put a 12 on it, just have to justify more and more money into a 17 yr old boat.

11. Member
    I have a 12 inch jack plate on my 216 and have not had any problems.

12. Member
    Just for input, I run a 26 Trophy on my '97 201D with a 225 EFI. It carries a very heavy tourney load well and still manages mid 70s on top. A buddy of mine in Illinois runs a 27 Trophy (Croxton worked) on his 201D running an XB, and it flies. Cobras love a Trophy. Just my 2 cents. And we both run 12" jackplates without issue.
    .................. Today is ALWAYS the best day to go fishin!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yumdinger View Post
    Just for input, I run a 26 Trophy on my '97 201D with a 225 EFI. It carries a very heavy tourney load well and still manages mid 70s on top. A buddy of mine in Illinois runs a 27 Trophy (Croxton worked) on his 201D running an XB, and it flies. Cobras love a Trophy. Just my 2 cents. And we both run 12" jackplates without issue.
    Great info. Thank you. I'll probably pick up a 27 trophy to try out along with the 26 tempest I already have. I have an 8" jackplate that a buddy of mine had that I'll try. If it doesnt perform the way I would like, then I'll put a 12" plate on. Based upon all of the feedback from you guys, I won't worry at all putting the 12" plate on. Thanks.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yumdinger View Post
    Are they Trophies or Trophy Pluses?

15. Member
    Sorry, I just saw the question. They are Trophy +.
    .................. Today is ALWAYS the best day to go fishin!