Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 Johnson 150

What is causing this?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hard to tell from the pix but are the reliefs melted? Is the port exhaust showing a water/oil/fuel mix?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Hard to tell from the pix but are the reliefs melted? Is the port exhaust showing a water/oil/fuel mix?
    Championman, ports are showing water/oil/fuel mix. What is causing this???

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Any signs of seepage on the cylinder heads? Possible bad O rings on the block/heads. Or possible blown power head to adapter plate gasket.

5. Member
    Any signs of seepage on the cylinder heads? Possible bad O rings on the block/heads. Or possible blown power head to adapter plate gasket.
    Where would I look for this???

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You would remove the upper motor cover and inspect the cylinder heads where they meet the block for water seepage. Or run the motor on cooling muffs and look for water coming out at the seam where the block meets the midsection you should also check the plugs for signs of either steam cleaning on the upper side plugs or a water/oil mix on any of the rest.

7. Member
    You would remove the upper motor cover and inspect the cylinder heads where they meet the block for water seepage. Or run the motor on cooling muffs and look for water coming out at the seam where the block meets the midsection you should also check the plugs for signs of either steam cleaning on the upper side plugs or a water/oil mix on any of the rest.
    Ultimately I will fix this issue, but want to know if there is some type of underlying issue that would have caused this? Should this be a major concern for the sake of my engine

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    What Fred is saying is if you have water leaks at any of the locations he mentioned, your engine may be ingesting water....NOT GOOD. More than likely just bad Orings...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    What Fred is saying is if you have water leaks at any of the locations he mentioned, your engine may be ingesting water....NOT GOOD. More than likely just bad Orings...
    Is there a way to check the cylinder head orings without pulling the heads?

10. Member
    I pulled the plugs and checked them and they look normal. What else?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There is no way to check the O rings without removing the heads. You could start the motor and let it come to temp and re-torque the heads and run it and see what is going on. The torque pattern is stamped on the heads. Torque to 20 Ft lbs. Remove the airbox and start the motor on muffs an check the carbs for fuel spitting back out of the throats. Indication of bad reeds.

12. Member
    There is no way to check the O rings without removing the heads. You could start the motor and let it come to temp and re-torque the heads and run it and see what is going on. The torque pattern is stamped on the heads. Torque to 20 Ft lbs. Remove the airbox and start the motor on muffs an check the carbs for fuel spitting back out of the throats. Indication of bad reeds.
    Where is the torque pattern stamped on the heads?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    On the edges. Around the center spark plugs should be 1,2,3,4 etc, in a spiral pattern.

14. Member
    On the edges. Around the center spark plugs should be 1,2,3,4 etc, in a spiral pattern.
    Yep, I saw those numbers on the heads. How would an indication of bad reeds, be causing what I am seeing? I am just trying to fully understand.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It could cause water/fuel mix being injected into the motor due to poor sealing of the combustion chamber. I'm really leaning towards a bad mid section gasket. You really don't see bad O rings on the 60* motor. There were issues with cracks in the block on #1 cylinder but the plug and cylinder would be steam cleaned. Buy a manual and read up.

16. Member
    i would stop where you are and get a pro to look it over,in a hour or two you will know what the problem is,goodluck with the engine

17. Member
    It could cause water/fuel mix being injected into the motor due to poor sealing of the combustion chamber. I'm really leaning towards a bad mid section gasket. You really don't see bad O rings on the 60* motor. There were issues with cracks in the block on #1 cylinder but the plug and cylinder would be steam cleaned. Buy a manual and read up.
    If it is indeed the midsection gasket, what would this roughly cost?

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Gasket is about $10.00 but you have to lift the head to replace it. No need to unhook anything but the battery cables.

If you start the motor with the cowl off you can look into the belly pans around the motor and look for water or exhaust gases.

19. Member
    Pulled the belly pan, started motor on muffs and brought up to temp. No water coming from the powerhead to adapter plate gasket. I'm at a loss. Decided to take it to shop. Will update once I found out the issue.

20. Member
    So I got the boat back from the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Said it purrs like a kitten and runs like a top! Guess I will keep a watch on it and if it happens again maybe they can nail it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast