Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

KY Lake 5-10 years from now - asian carp

What is everyone's thought on what Kentucky or Barkley will be like with the Asian carp being in the lake and I am sure continuing to multiply. I am not trying to be MR negative but it concerns me on what could happen to a great lake like these when you see what has happened to some of the rivers that have had Asian carp. Will the Fishery hold up?

think of what a can of sardines looks like when you first open it.
    Ranger Forever

I hope I'm wrong but in 10 years it will be the dead sea. Unless they can figure out how to eradicate them.

4. Member
    Every lake on the TN river will suffer eventually
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

5. Member
    Still think this was somewhat of a research project for some organization out there....
    http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/2534...at-barkley-dam

Edited to show "latest updates": http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/KY-Barkley-Fishkill.aspx
    Last edited by Cdd8; 02-26-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    "If you only have men that will come when there is a good road, do not send them. I want men who will come when there is no road at all."

6. Member
    Had one jump on to the back deck last fall while fishing and absolutely scared the crap out of me.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdd8 View Post
    Still think this was somewhat of a research project for some organization out there....
    http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/2534...at-barkley-dam

Edited to show "latest updates": http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/KY-Barkley-Fishkill.aspx
    Thanks for sharing that info, I never heard about it when it happened. Definitely gives hope for a future solution, though nearly two years have passed without any follow-up, which is disappointing. As you implied, maybe it was an experiment and they're still working on large scale implementation. As much as we'd all love to see them wiped out, they do have to be extremely careful that they don't miss a detail the could cause a kill off of native desirable species. Fingers crossed on this one.

8. Member
    Had one jump in the boat today on ky lake

9. Banned
    No way of knowing.

There's two sides to it:

1. Those who want them gone completely
    2. Those who are making a living off of them

Can't make both groups happy...or can they...that's the question.

If those fish can create more revenue than it would take to eradicate them, they just might be here to stay. All of the KY State Parks are offering them on their menu now, the fish processing plant in Wickliffe continues to grow, and the overall market for asian carp is growing. It will be interesting in 5 to 10 years to see where that market stands and if the opportunity arises to pull the plug on those fish, will it even happen?

10. Member
    Hard to say really. It's a tall task to ask of someone to rid the lakes of a certain species without affecting any others, so frankly it's not something I see happening. Even if we could, it would be a matter of time before the carp are reintroduced from another body of water via the network of river systems in play when it comes to KY/Barkley Lake... To this point, while they are absolutely a nuisance, I haven't really noticed any adverse affects on the fishing. I think it's a go-to excuse for some when the fishing is tough, but in my opinion fishing pressure is a much bigger player than the carp are at this point in terms of sport fishing. That doesn't lessen the seriousness of the problem though.

I think our only hope really is that nature will have a way of sustaining itself, and that the sustainable carp population is nearing it's limit in the lakes. Probably a pipe dream, but when I see these unexplainable mass die-off's with the species that seem to happen for no reason that is what I think of.
    Last edited by Maddog10; 02-27-2017 at 08:48 AM.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Maybe some of the game fish populations will evolve to eat the fry. That's about the only hope. I don't know how the carp could get any thicker that they are now. I've been in large bays where thousands of young ones jumped out of the water every time I cast.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Banned
    My only thought is when they are schooled up massively like you guys talk about, is there a way to eradicate 100% of them in a certain area. Just like the hog traps for hog infestations. Gather them in a certain area and nuke their @ss somehow. I'm no scientist, but it may take some collateral damage to save the fishery.

13. Member
    KY Afield tweeted: " this is why Kentucky fish and wildlife is seeking more funding to combat this threat."
    Links in tweet: https://www.fws.gov/midwest/fisheries/asian-carp.html
    https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/ANS/index.html
    Last edited by Cdd8; 03-01-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    "If you only have men that will come when there is a good road, do not send them. I want men who will come when there is no road at all."

14. BBC SPONSOR
    If they can't stop them at the lock they will never get the population under control. Its amazing at how many go into the lock each time the door is opened.

And stopping them at the lock will do no good if you can't stop them from reaching the lock. The TN and Cumberland Rivers are FULL of them.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

15. Member
    I wonder if the KDFW has ever tried shocking a large school of them. The commercial fishermen could follow behind and scoop them up

16. Member
    Shocking is the answer.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCreekKy View Post
    Shocking is the answer.
    Agree. It would be a massive undertaking but worth it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarley View Post
    Agree. It would be a massive undertaking but worth it.
    I'd sign up for volunteer efforts...

19. Member
    My question is..... Since silvers are so paranoid and flip out over certain sound frequencies could they not put out some kind of under water speaker, like a mega hydrowave, at the mouth of the locks and blast a noise that keeps them away???

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert615 View Post
    My question is..... Since silvers are so paranoid and flip out over certain sound frequencies could they not put out some kind of under water speaker, like a mega hydrowave, at the mouth of the locks and blast a noise that keeps them away???
    If my memory is correct I read somewhere where there is a river that flows into one of the Great Lakes and the river in question has Asin carp. For the lack of a better word they installed an "electric fence" that turns the carp away from entering the great lakes. I don't think the shock wave was enough to stun fish just enough to turn them away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast