Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polarized sunglasses - is there a difference?!? Opinion/feedback WANTED!

Hi everyone,
    I have owned many pairs of polarized sunglasses through the years (haven't bought a new pair in a few years though) and want to know your opinion/input. Is there a large difference in what you pay for? I find it hard to believe that a $250 pair compared to a $20 pair have a giant "polarization" difference. Feedback please!

2. Banned
    Ive owned $200 polarized glasses( not that i "paid" $200) and I've owned $20 ones. I now own a few pair of $20 ones!

The only difference there might be is the quality of the lenses, when it comes to clariry and scratch resistance. Maybe even in the quality of the polarized coating, " maybe".
    I'll still stick with my $20 pairs!

3. Member
    Yes i think so, i've tried the cheap ones and after a day on the water my eyes would hurt. Finally broke down and spent the money for a pair of Costa's and man what a difference no more eye strain, so for me it was worth spending the extra money.

4. Member
    I struggled with this too until I did a test. Fished 4 hours with cheap glasses on a sunny day and then borrowed a pair of good glasses. Bought blue tint Oakley prisms the next day, not saying they're the best, but they fit well. Less eye fatigue and underwater visibility was much better. My son, 14, saved all of his money up after wearing mine and bought green tint costa's and I think they're better than mine for fresh water. Still couldn't believe he spent all of his money on glasses but he was convinced!

Mod, if branding isn't allowed I will remove them.
    Last edited by rat0502; 02-26-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Disclaimer
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

5. Member
    lens color matters a lot more than anything else, but the nicer glasses are more comfortable and offer the best color selection.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Over the years I've owned every cheap pair out there. $50 and under. About 15 years ago I bought a pair of Ocean Wave "Bandana's (glass lens) in blue mirror and the quality is unreal. There was a total of 42 filter/polarization layers and a scratch resistant layer on both sides. Life time guarantee. I love the Bandana's feel. Some glasses can irritate where your ears attach to your head. Not a problem with these. The clarity and depth way out performs any pair I've owned. There's a few really good glasses out there that I've looked through, but I'm glad I bought Ocean Wave.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Maui Jim's. Got a pair last year and they're spectacular. The way they highlight subtleties and contrast is fantastic. A bit pricey but they're made for the water

8. Member
    Huge difference! Especially if you are trying to bed fish. Green or amber for freshwater, blue for offshore.

distortion is what you get with cheap sunglasses (try reading a eye exam chart) , not saying all are crap , but you gotta look out for it..I wear smith chromapop and couldn't be happier.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabled View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have owned many pairs of polarized sunglasses through the years (haven't bought a new pair in a few years though) and want to know your opinion/input. Is there a large difference in what you pay for? I find it hard to believe that a $250 pair compared to a $20 pair have a giant "polarization" difference. Feedback please!
    You scream a lot more when the $200 pair goes overboard.

11. Member
    I used to only wear Walmart brand Renegades. Loved them. Then, I was introduced to Costa. Man, what a difference. I wear sunglasses all the time. I keep "coon eyes" marks all year long and it makes my wife mad. LOL. I wore Man O War for years and started having issues seeing good out of them. After having both pair broke at the same time, I send them back for repair. Discontinued. So, I swapped them for Tuna Alley and loved them. Second pair I sent back I paid the up charge for C-Mates 1.5. If you wear readers, these glasses are a must. What I do not like though is they do not make them in green lenses on a frame I like.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

Buy the best you can, considering what you're comfortable spending. Yes there is a big dif. in quality. Maui Jims are unbelievable but expensive, had'm-loved'm.
    Have gone to Solar Bats. They sponsor our team. Affordable and perform very well.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

13. Member
    I used to think there was no need to pay for the expensive glasses . . . . . until I tried a pair. There is a a big difference in quality and visibility through the lenses. I love my Costas and they are worth every penny from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    Maui Jim's. Got a pair last year and they're spectacular. The way they highlight subtleties and contrast is fantastic. A bit pricey but they're made for the water

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Heck yes there is a difference. Probably not $180 worth of difference though. Besides lens quality, frame fit and selection is a big deal. Walmart glasses either won't stay on my head or make my ears hurt halfway through the day. My Costas are comfortable enough that I forget I have them on and think it's really getting dark early.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    Lenses are great and I have two aviator-style pairs I wear when not fishing, but the best thing about Maui's to me are the frames. I'm not sure if the lenses are that much better than some Kaenons or Costas I have had, but the frames on the higher end models are a definite step above. I am on the third set of lenses in one pair I have worn daily for about five years. Scratch or crack them and only $85 bucks for brand new lenses.

17. Member
    Thank you everyone for the feedback!!! I did a lot of reading and research and watched multiple videos and took the plunge!...bought Costa Cortez Blackout with Copper glass. Thanks again.

18. Member
    You will love them.

19. Member
    I've got a pair of Costas (forget the model, have had them for years) and while they are really nice I also have a couple of pairs of Eye Surrenders from TW (like $50 or $60). Most of the time I wear the Eye Surrenders.

My problem is that I need prescription glasses and because of the astigmatism and myopia I can't get sports glasses that have rounded lenses in my prescription due the the curvature and thickness required. So I had to get prescription sunglasses and with polarized lenses. I have no idea how those compare to Costas and there's really no way for me to tell. If I put on a pair of Costas, I'm blind as a bat lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast